GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

will this fit an LT1? - now with results.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Sprocket

Sprocket

will this fit an LT1? - now with results. Empty
PostSubject: will this fit an LT1? - now with results.   will this fit an LT1? - now with results. Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2012 9:38 pm

see Nov 11 post for results.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

saw it on Boomhauers thread for his 93. Website says virtually all Chevys up to 2005.
My wifes is ready to go with 'only' 220K on it. Just replaced the battery to find out it's not the battery....Sad

price is way better than OE replacement (50 bucks less and supposedly better). Also what about vette starters. Got on in my L03. (thanks Chris)

Last edited by Sprocket on Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JaySS
Admin
JaySS

PostSubject: Re: will this fit an LT1? - now with results.   will this fit an LT1? - now with results. Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2012 10:16 pm

Nope.

Offset pattern is for the 168 tooth ring gears. LT1's do have the provision to mount it, but use the smaller 153 tooth gears.

Also, The "Denso-style" description should be a warning that you may be getting an inferior offshore knockoff that has no guarantee of lasting anywhere near as long as the true Corvette starters as supplied by either Denso or AC-Delco.

If you have a good automotive electrical rebuild shop nearby, using them to rebuild your old one is usually the best value.

If not, either go with a quality remanufactured LT1 gear reduction starter, or step up to a true Corvette unit, those two options have a proven track record of reliable service.

- J

Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: will this fit an LT1? - now with results.   will this fit an LT1? - now with results. Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2012 10:32 pm

This is the unit in your OCC...(fyi)

I have a rebuilt Vette starter in my LT1. Could not get that for the LO3 ( or I would have ) However, I was pleased with the unit you have..and its been in there a while now!

Chris
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: will this fit an LT1? - now with results.   will this fit an LT1? - now with results. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2012 7:57 am

this one on summit says 153/168
guessing it might ship with both?

I'll call them later as I'm about to start work now....
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: will this fit an LT1? - now with results.   will this fit an LT1? - now with results. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2012 5:07 pm

OMG what a soup of part numbers!!! Delco/Remy have 4 different part numbers for the same starter! I'm getting confused here....
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: will this fit an LT1? - now with results.   will this fit an LT1? - now with results. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2012 5:32 pm

this one loks pretty good, a reman denso unit. from what I can tell it was reman by bbb industries.

Same one avail locally for 120 plus 60 for the core.....

no core either so I can rebuild the orig one too.

Ordered it....will be here by Thursday (hope the other started lasts that long)
Current starter is struggling to turn motor over like a dead batt, but battery and alternator check out...
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: will this fit an LT1? - now with results.   will this fit an LT1? - now with results. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2012 7:13 pm

So I got the item ordered above and guess what. It will fit both TBI and LT1 cars.

Turns out the teeth count has to do with the diameter of the flywheel and not the spacing.

Now for the fun part. I get this one in the mail on Thursday which is good as I have Friday off.
I go and pull the stock LT1 starter out of the wife's 94 RMW. I'm all sketched out about 10 different part numbers for the same thing so I count the teeth on the sprocket. 11 on the vette starter and 10 on the stock unit. WTF??? So instead of putting it in and trying it, I recall the time my Jag with Turbo 400 started took a crap. I left the car at my sisters, got a rental and drove 250 miles home so my pregnant ex-wife would stop bitching. I take the core to the store and they special ordered one. (probably a stock GM unit now that I think about it) and I pay like 300 bucks in 1992 for it. It comes in and the next weekend I drive back to Tampa and guess what? It bolts up but the sprocket has a different number of teeth and won't engage the flywheel. So I wind up driving BACK to South FL. Go get my core back and swear to never go to that store again. Get the right one and go back AGAIN the following weekend. No I could not source one in Tampa and this pre internet days.

So I have that little piece of history in the back of my mind.

Well ****, it won't fit so I go tto the local family owned parts store and shovel out 120 (vs 85 online for the one with an extra tooth), count the teeth and turn in the old one. Bring it home and back in business in half and hour.

Now what to do with the other one. I figure it must be for the TBI with extra tooth right? An hour or more of research later, everything says I ordered the right part for the LT1.

Well my son's 92 TBI LO3 all of a sudden isn't starting right either and I guess it may be the battery. He goes and they check and say nope it's good. Really? two starters in the same weekend? what are the odds on that?

Anyway we pull that one this morning and for once the LT1 is the easier car to work on. The Y-pipe runs under the starter so you have to remove the frame base and it's a PITA to hold a wrench on the nuts up in the frame rail.

I get it out and you know what? It's the same 10 tooth starter in the LT1!. Now I'm really confused and go back to my research. Finally I say F-it and bolt it up and it works just dandy.

Mystery solved. Just go by a small block starter boys and girls.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: will this fit an LT1? - now with results.   will this fit an LT1? - now with results. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2012 7:22 pm

the bigger starter is cheaper too,.
just get the proper two bolts for it, (1 long 1 short) and it works fine on an lt1
i wrote about this some time back,.

Sorry i missed this thread john,. could have saved you some aggravation,.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: will this fit an LT1? - now with results.   will this fit an LT1? - now with results. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2012 8:21 pm

phantom 309 wrote:
the bigger starter is cheaper too,.
just get the proper two bolts for it, (1 long 1 short) and it works fine on an lt1
i wrote about this some time back,.

Sorry i missed this thread john,. could have saved you some aggravation,.

well the good news is, I'm not sitting here with an extra starter, although I let JR pay for the cheaper one since that is the one we put in his car (the vette starter)

We will get a rebuild kit for the one we pulled out, and it'll be a project for him to rebuild and then there will be one on the shelf which is always good as I'm running a fleet.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: will this fit an LT1? - now with results.   will this fit an LT1? - now with results. Icon_minitimeTue Nov 26, 2013 8:37 am

Bump! Just ordered another one! THe blue OCCs went out after 2 years and about 30K.

It was the Summit unit Chris referenced above.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: will this fit an LT1? - now with results.   will this fit an LT1? - now with results. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

will this fit an LT1? - now with results.
Page 1 of 1