GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Winter Fun 1985, Denver Colorado, 1978 Pontiac Grand Safari!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
81X11

81X11

Winter Fun 1985, Denver Colorado, 1978 Pontiac Grand Safari! Empty
PostSubject: Winter Fun 1985, Denver Colorado, 1978 Pontiac Grand Safari!   Winter Fun 1985, Denver Colorado, 1978 Pontiac Grand Safari! Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 10:11 am

So my brother is still converting the Super 8 films he found to disc for my parents. He's been sending me a lot of these, which I'm loving, but this one I thought the forum might like as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=M2Qq0dZxKw4

We moved from Tulsa Oklahoma to Denver (Englewood) Colorado in late 1984. Growing up, this was the best time for our family. Dad had a really good job, and we bought a big new 4-bedroom tri-level house on a hill (green house in the background) in a really good neighborhood. From the back you could see the entire front range of the Rocky mountains. It was gorgeous.

Dad was doing well, sold his '73 Cheyenne Super pickup and bought our black '79 Corvette while in Denver, and we also had the red '69 Lemans Convertible that we converted into a GTO clone when I was a teenager in NJ. Both of those are IN the garage in this movie. He was a young AT&T exec moving up the ladder. Good times.

Sitting in the driveway in this vid is our silver '78 Pontiac Grand Safari. Rally II wheels, Pontiac 400 engine, tow-pack, and Bonny Brougham striped interior. MAN I MISS THAT CAR. This is the car that was geared so low that it would slow down coming down Long's Peak if Dad took his foot off the gas.

It's wild to see my parents in this vid. They are the same age I am now. Dad with his "hair helmet", Mom looking so young, our old poodle-mix Lady, and my younger blond-haired brother Dave.

Anyway, 1985 was a really good time for us. We moved to New Jersey in 1986, and even with the good money we got selling our house in Denver, Dad could only afford a condo in NJ, it was so much more expensive. They both loved Denver and didn't want to leave, but Dad got transferred, and then they got stuck in NJ from '86-97 until they retired down here to Austin...and got happy again. ; )

ANYWAY I thought you guys might like to see the Safari. Dad sold it to a neighbor in Denver in '86 rather than take it to the NJ with us. It was a great car.

Oh and I LOVE the songs Dave is putting over these movies. Funny.

-Mike
Back to top Go down

Winter Fun 1985, Denver Colorado, 1978 Pontiac Grand Safari!
Page 1 of 1