GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Replacing TBI Plugs and Wires?

Go down 
+2
Fred Kiehl
Cadet57
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Cadet57

Cadet57

Replacing TBI Plugs and Wires? Empty
PostSubject: Replacing TBI Plugs and Wires?   Replacing TBI Plugs and Wires? Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 8:15 pm

I'm thinking its time for a tuneup on my 350 and wanted to check the condition of my plugs today when I found it looks like a royal pain in the rear to pull the plugs. Any tips? I've done plugs on my other cars, but thankfully either they were inline (Thanks VW!) or the engine was one of those nice 60 degree V6's (Thanks Pontiac!) So the 350 is a new beast for me. Also, anyone know of a good plug and wire? Id rather go with something besides the Valucraft specials at A-Zone if there is something better.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Replacing TBI Plugs and Wires?   Replacing TBI Plugs and Wires? Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 8:57 pm

Justin I have used Delco parts for years and never had any regrets.The high priced irredium
plugs dont make any sense to me on a stock TBI engine.Go ahead and jack up the car to make for easier access thru the fenderwell on some of the plugs.Cut a short stiff piece of vaccuum
hose to slip onto and install your plugs.Take your time and replace 1 wire at a time too.
With all that schoolin you should be able to handle it!!LOL
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Replacing TBI Plugs and Wires?   Replacing TBI Plugs and Wires? Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 10:58 pm

Don't know on a car with stock manifolds, but I actually had to take my passenger side header off to access one of mine. SERIOUS PAIN IN THE REAR. It was okay though, since I had already planned on doing it because of the uber exhaust leak I had.

Now those puppies are sealed up nice and tight... and I'll dread doing plugs on it again.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Replacing TBI Plugs and Wires?   Replacing TBI Plugs and Wires? Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 11:18 pm

The rear plugs are easily accessed from under the car.
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: Replacing TBI Plugs and Wires?   Replacing TBI Plugs and Wires? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 9:19 am

+2 on AC/Delco. Cap, rotor, standard copper plugs, and wires.

Mike
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Replacing TBI Plugs and Wires?   Replacing TBI Plugs and Wires? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 10:05 am

+3 on AC parts. I managed to do the plugs from the top, it was a pain but you can get it done.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Replacing TBI Plugs and Wires?   Replacing TBI Plugs and Wires? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 3:09 pm

I tryed doing my plugs from the top and if you have small hands and are doublejointed go for
it.I was worried about breaking a plug and from underneath I had much better control and
access.
IMHO
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
WagonLover

WagonLover

PostSubject: Re: Replacing TBI Plugs and Wires?   Replacing TBI Plugs and Wires? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 4:23 pm

+4 on ACDelco parts..
Back to top Go down
https://www.photobucket.com/wagonlover
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Replacing TBI Plugs and Wires?   Replacing TBI Plugs and Wires? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 4:34 pm

Thanks gents. Will get all the goodies ordered when I get a bit of extra $$. As for plugs, I saw this "standard" Ac Delco plug. is this the one I want?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Replacing TBI Plugs and Wires?   Replacing TBI Plugs and Wires? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 5:07 pm

That the one Justin.Been using those for years and they always work and I have tryed
the fancy ones and could tell no difference.
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Replacing TBI Plugs and Wires?   Replacing TBI Plugs and Wires? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 5:11 pm

Thanks Jim. I especially like the $1.65/ea price. Beats having to buy 4 of these to do the VW

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Replacing TBI Plugs and Wires?   Replacing TBI Plugs and Wires? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 7:37 pm

On the LT1 cars the easiest way to the plugs is pull the wheel off and go through the gap between the frame and wheel well. Haven't pulled them on the TBI yet but gotta think it's pretty similar way to go....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Replacing TBI Plugs and Wires?   Replacing TBI Plugs and Wires? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 10:30 pm

When I did mine I just drove it up on ramps.Once safely on the ramps I went underneath and
and was able to reach all of them.Probably could go in like John said but I was more comfortable underneath.Just take your time and be PATIENT damnit!LOL
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Replacing TBI Plugs and Wires?   Replacing TBI Plugs and Wires? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Replacing TBI Plugs and Wires?
Page 1 of 1