GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike

Go down 
+3
sherlock9c1
Olds Weighty Eight
81X11
7 posters
AuthorMessage
81X11

81X11

1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike Empty
PostSubject: 1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike   1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 11:02 am

So about five years ago my co-worker Andrew told me he'd inherited his grandfather's 1977 Caprice sedan. His grandfather loved and babied the car, and it still had the original dealer-added plastic on seats. The car was in Illinois, but had been kept inside most winters. He flew up and drove it back to Texas soon after, and brought it to work for me to see it.

It was a clean car, low mile and bone stock, but low options, no power windows or locks, no cruise, and just an am radio with a single speaker. It did have cloth seats covered in thick plastic, the nicer Caprice door panels, the little 305 V8 under the hood with power steering, power brakes, and factory air. The body was solid and paint was pretty. Just a nice old car.

A few months later I got an e-mail from Andrew. He said he's given the car to his 17-year-old daughter...who of course hated it, and pulling out of the high school parking lot one of the kids had tail-ended her hard. Rolling Eyes He said the car still ran and drove fine but the trunk would not latch and his daughter refused to drive it. He bought her a Honda. Over the next few months he told me he'd gotten a few estimates to fix the Caprice, but they were so high he just parked the car. I forgot about it soon after.

So about four years ago he calls me and says his wife wants the car gone, and he was going to call the salvage yard, unless I wanted it. I'd not seen the car since the wreck, and sure didn't NEED it, but could not turn down a free boxy Caprice, so called my Dad and he drove me over to look at it. The car was dirty from sitting, battery was dead, and the trunk was held down with a bungee cord. The rear bumper was pushed in and had a complete hole in it, one 1/4 panel was kinked, and the tail lights panel was bent down somewhat. Other than that, the car was still in nice shape.

I pulled out the jumper cables, pumped the gas a few times, and the 305 fired right up and ran smooth. Andrew handed me the title and I drove the car home, Dad following behind me. It ran and drove PERFECT...the steering was tight, there were no rattles inside the car, the motor and trans were smooth and all the lights, signals, switches and everything worked like new. The car drove straight as an arrow and rode smooth but not floaty. The a/c was the only thing that didn't work, but I could hear the compressor cycling....just low?? Even the AM radio picked up the local talk station fine...and I laughed when I realized it was an AM 8-track! Ha!

The next morning I got up and looked at the car in the light and took these pics...
1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike 1977CapriceClassic001
1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike 1977CapriceClassic003
1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike 1977CapriceClassic004
1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike 1977CapriceClassic006
1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike 1977CapriceClassic007
1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike 1977CapriceClassic008
1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike 1977CapriceClassic009

Misty took one look at it and had a fit about me bringing another "piece of junk" home. I called my buddy Laird, who loves Caprices, but he didn't have a place for it.

Well I decided to give it to Clare and John, the parents of the kids we've recently "inherited". John was out of work even then, but Clare was working at Office Max, and they had their duplex with the three kids down in South Austin. I'd give Clare an old '81 Chevy Citation and also a Toyota Previa...both were ok when I gave them to them, but they'd pretty much neglected them to death and the Previa was parked and the Citation was...well pretty sick.

I thought that MAYBE if I made the Caprice as nice as possible....they might take care of it. It was a lot better vehicle than either the Citation or the Previa van.

I totally cleaned the Caprice up, inside and out, and waxed it,,the paint was goregeous and other than the accident damage the car had not a ding in it. Installed a new battery, changed the plugs, wires, oil and filter, and one headlight that had lost it's silver backing. I took a chain and tied the rear bumper to a tree and pulled the back out enough for the trunk to latch normally. It worked fine again. Lastly I installed a nice CD player, an 80's Caprice dashpad with dual dash speakers and also installed some good speakers in the rear deck. I then got it inspected...it passed with no issues.

The car ran and drove like new, was VERY comfy and very clean, the heater worked and the stereo sounded great. I called Clare and told her I had a nice car for her, but would really appreciate it if she'd take care of this one...it was not some old piece of junk but a good servicable vehicle. I told her if she took care of it I'd see about getting the a/c fixed before that summer, and possibly get the windows tinted too.

I took these pics the morning before I gave it to her.
1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike Clean1977CapriceClassic001-1
1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike Clean1977CapriceClassic002
1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike Clean1977CapriceClassic003
1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike Clean1977CapriceClassic004
1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike Clean1977CapriceClassic006
1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike Clean1977CapriceClassic007
1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike Clean1977CapriceClassic008
1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike Clean1977CapriceClassic009
1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike Clean1977CapriceClassic010
1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike Clean1977CapriceClassic011
1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike Clean1977CapriceClassic012

Clare thanked me for the car, and again I asked her to please take care of this one. I really liked the car, despite the damage to the rear.

Well the next time I saw the car it was filthy, the floors were full of garbage, there was a coffee stain on the front seat, and the ash tray was overflowing. I should have know, and part of me did... I actually took the car and washed and vaccumed it a few times that first year, trying to keep it nice. Sadly on each visit, the car was worse. I asked her to please take care of it, and she said it was the kids fault, with three kids there was no way she could keep it clean. Rolling Eyes

I came down to check on them one day and both passenger doors and the rear 1/4 panel were dented. She'd hit the wooden pole in the middle of her carport with the 1/4 panel backing out and just kept driving rather than stopping and pulling away. I just shook my head....the car was again filthy and now dented.

I got a call about two years ago that the car was broken down, and could I come help. I met her at a convience store and sure enough the car would not start...and in addition the hubcaps were all gone. I asked her if the hubcaps got stolen, and she said John had gone to put air in one of the tires and had trouble with the extension on the valve stem, and just deided to take all the caps off rather than deal with extensions. So now the car looked freaking abandoned...and they were both of course oblivious to how bad it looked...it was just an old POS to them.

Back to the issue, the rubber fuel line was leaking where it ran from the frame to the pump. I ran to the parts store and got a length of hose and replaced it, cranked the car a few times and it fired up. It was NASTY inside of course, cups and McDonald's bags and napkins and toys and clothes and crap everywhere, smelled of dirt and smoke....so I got out as fast as I could. I didn't yell...no point. I did however check the other fluids, and the oil was black as night. I asked her when she'd last changed it, and she never had in the two years they'd had it. I told her to follow me to Wal-Mart and I paid to have the oil changed and then went home.

So about a year ago Clare left John and the kids. I went down to check on the kids and the Caprice was sitting in the carport on a flat, windows down and interior full of junk, with the kids sitting on the roof, hood and trunk...all dented now. Evil or Very Mad I yelled at them to get off....I didn't mean to do that, but it just came out. The house of course was a mess and John was on his computer oblivious.. All he said was "Clare's gone back to Jersey" Ok then. I asked how the kids were and he shrugged and said the best they could be. I took the kids out to eat, and when I dropped them off asked John why the Caprice was sitting on a flat. He said the motor broke, he thought it was a head gasket. That was it.

I went down and checked on John and the kids when I could last year. The Caprice never moved, John was jobless and not motivated to do anything...the kids walked to school and to the grocery store. I did not have the time, money, or will to mess with the Caprice, so it sat.

Well last October they got evicted. I got the kids as most of you know, and John left the Caprice there. I could have possibly gotten it back myself, but had no way to grab it, no funds to mess with itr, and no idea what was wrong with it, and they'd beat it up and neglected it so much, it made me sad to look at it.

Well that was it...until I saw this today.... lol! http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/3492022072.html

1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike 3G23M53Ia5V15Ff5Jccckc3a52435d2ce19b9

You just can't kill one of those cars!

-Mike

Last edited by 81X11 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

PostSubject: Re: 1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike   1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 12:50 pm

Suspect I won't say what I really think other than to say that you have the patience of a saint.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lakelandraceway.com/friends_garage

PostSubject: Re: 1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike   1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 1:53 pm

Is the caprice no longer in your name?You are too darn nice Mike and these people will always
be taking advantage of you and anybody else who trys to help them out!You should be feeling
pretty good about helping those kids out,no telling where they would have ended up if you hadnt stepped in!You are my HERO and I am proud to have you as a friend!
Now go get those chrome SS wheels for me,please! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: 1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike   1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 2:56 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
Is the caprice no longer in your name?You are too darn nice Mike and these people will always
be taking advantage of you and anybody else who trys to help them out!You should be feeling
pretty good about helping those kids out,no telling where they would have ended up if you hadnt stepped in!You are my HERO and I am proud to have you as a friend!
Now go get those chrome SS wheels for me,please! Very Happy

No that Caprice was never in my name. I left the car at their home and handed them the title from Illinois but would not give them the keys until they registered it themselves. Can't register a car without insurance here, so they had to come up with the insurance and registration before they drove it. I gave them a car, that's as far as it went. Did the same thing with the other three vehicles I gave them over the years here.

When they moved down here from Pennsylvania in 2001 they had a nasty/rusty 1988 Ford Taurus that lasted them about two years here. From there she got a Volvo 740 with a billion miles on it, followed by a Chrysler minivan that also did not last long.

When the Chrysler van died she asked me to borrow a car, and I outright gave her that 4dr Citation X-11 clone I'd made. It was just a toy and Misty was glad to see it go. It had the V6, the a/c worked, and it had a good stereo in it. Not a bad little car. I actually saved this one somewhat, or it saved itself...about 6-months after I gave it to Clare reverse went out, and I called my buddy AJ in Houston, and he replaced the trans and still has this car.
1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike 4drX-11HAHA002

The 4dr X-11 was followed by this little orangish-red 4cyl Citation I found in San Antonio from another friend for $100.
I looked like this when I bought it:
1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike 824cylTation003
And like this when I gave it to Clare and John after a weekend of detailing work and cleaning. Haha.
1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike OrangeTationUpdate008

She had this Citation when I gave them the Caprice. The trans was starting to slip and the a/c never worked, and it also went to AJ in Houston, who parted it out.

...and lastly a grey Toyota Previa minivan that my buddy in Houston didn't want. I'm sure you remember what these looked like....did not take a pic of it that I remember..no big loss, they were ugly and the motor was under the seats...stupid. This one had faded paint and 250,000 miles on it. I cleaned it before giving it to them, but did nothing to make it prettier.... John killed that Previa one night by not seeing a curb in a parking lot and bottoming it out so hard it cracked the oil pan, and then continuing to drive it until the motor locked. It went to the salvage yard and they used the orange Citation as their only car until I gave them the Caprice.

John's still around, living at a halfway house down in South Austin now. He's asked me to keep my eyes open for other cars. I promise not to give him my Cutlass. Wink

-Mike
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: 1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike   1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 3:19 pm

Wonder where the hood ornament went on the Caprice....it at least was still on there the last time I saw the car.

Glad to see the seller put the hubcaps back on it. They'd been off for two years. I sure would like my Kenwood CD player and Pioneer 6x9's back. Doh!

-Mike
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike   1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 3:40 pm

I want to nominate you for something ,just not sure what it should be! Question You are kind and generous to a FAULT Mike.First you provided them with cars for how many years and now you're raising their kids and doing a super job by the way!From the sounds of it a far better job than they were capable of doing.If the oldest does graduate from high school,nominating you for sainthood is a must! cheers Just keep up the great work!
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: 1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike   1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 4:05 pm

Thanks Jim, not looking for sainthood votes or a pat on the back. Clare was a really good friend a long time ago, and I love those kids. I've known the kids since they were born. I kept Clare and John in cars so they would not have an excuse to be late or miss work, and of course to go grocery shop and get the kids to school.

I kept hoping with help they'd sort their lives out, but you can't fix people that don't want to be fixed...

-Mike

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike   1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 4:40 pm

81X11 wrote:
Thanks Jim, not looking for sainthood votes or a pat on the back. Clare was a really good friend a long time ago, and I love those kids. I've known the kids since they were born. I kept Clare and John in cars so they would not have an excuse to be late or miss work, and of course to go grocery shop and get the kids to school.

I kept hoping with help they'd sort their lives out, but you can't fix people that don't want to be fixed...

-Mike

Thats a phrase I always try to remember,"You cant fix people that dont want to be fixed"!I have to give you credit for not bailing on Clare a long time
ago because I am certain that I would have long before the kids entered the picture.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: 1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike   1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 5:43 pm

81X11 wrote:
you can't fix people that don't want to be fixed...
True. Been there learned that.
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: 1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike   1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 11:54 pm

one of my favorite cars. Which just happens to be my next project
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: 1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike   1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 9:03 am

That story made me mad. I was waiting for the Happy ending.

You are WAY more patient than I am.
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: 1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike   1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 10:16 am

I agree with Crovo.
Back to top Go down
87customcruiser

87customcruiser

PostSubject: Re: 1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike   1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 3:11 pm

My neighbor had a similar situation, he loaned his son a van for a couple of weeks, when they brought it back, he opened the doors looked at the interior, and said just keep it. It was a nice van until those two weeks went by.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: 1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike   1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 11:00 am

toomanytoyz wrote:
That story made me mad. I was waiting for the Happy ending.

You are WAY more patient than I am.

There is a happy ending. I have their kids now, Clare is gone and John is basically out of the picture. Other than having no spare car funds anymore I'm really happy to be raising them and hope they will have better lives than they would have. I know for a fact that the oldest, Joseph, was going to flunk again if we had not gotten involved, and that would have been the end of his high school career. He would have been too old to graduate if he was held back again. He's doing well in his new school, they all are, and we had a great holiday.

Today was the first day the kids had to go back to school since the holidays. I had a big talk with them last night about how we had a lot of fun over the past two weeks, but now it was time to go back to work, and I expected them to be up and ready this morning. I was shocked at 7:15am to find all the beds made, all the kids dressed and waiting on me to go, even the goofy girl!

HUGE changes from where we started back at the beginning of October when they first came to live with us. Amazing. Smile
1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike 484366_10151135242100952_89291539_n

-Mike
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: 1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike   1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 11:08 am

87customcruiser wrote:
My neighbor had a similar situation, he loaned his son a van for a couple of weeks, when they brought it back, he opened the doors looked at the interior, and said just keep it. It was a nice van until those two weeks went by.

Clare's house and her Mom's car growing up were always filthy and full of junk. Like something from that show Hoarders... Clare was the same way once she grew up, and John never lifted a finger to clean...that to him was "woman's work", so they lived in filth and clutter.

In other words I pretty much knew what would happen to the vehicles I gave them. If you don't expect a lot, you can't be dissapointed. I had hoped she would keep that Caprice up, and told her if she would I would fix the a/c and tint the windows. You'd think if someone offered something like that, you'd do it...especially considering how HOT the summers are here, but no, they beat the car up so I never did that work for them.

It is what it is. I was just surprised to see that car show up on Craigslist last week. I really thought they'd killed it.

On the upside, the kids, at least the boys, give me no issues about cleaning up in my home, and their room looks nice and clothes are done. I have to get on Lily constantly however, her room would be a mess otherwise. It's a constant battle to get her not to put stuff on the floor or to leave stuff on her bed, and to put clean clothes away and dirty clothes in the wash.

The last time I got on her about it she said "it's not like we have guests coming over to see my room..." and I tried to explain that it's not about cleaning for guests, it's about cleaning for yourself and having some pride in your property and your space. I got a blank stare....we're working on it... I'm not giving up!

-Mike

Last edited by 81X11 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
scoffman

scoffman

PostSubject: Re: 1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike   1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 11:41 am

Kudos to you Mike you are a great man and Father.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: 1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike   1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 11:57 am

87customcruiser wrote:

Before I could even drive my father taught me that if you borrow a person's vehicle you bring it back cleaner than you got it and with gas in it. I strongly believe this and have always done it over the years....to the point where Misty's friend Janna asks if I want to use her Pontiac G6 when it's dirty....because she knows I'll clean it... Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike   1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

1977 Caprice Sedan - Today's long-winded story from Texas Mike
Page 1 of 1