GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A/C Compressor not coming on

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
81X11

81X11

A/C Compressor not coming on Empty
PostSubject: A/C Compressor not coming on   A/C Compressor not coming on Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2013 10:20 am

Rich just called me from Florida. As you guys saw he took my '96 Roady to the auctions in Kissimee and it's performed great on the trip, until today. The a/c compressor is not coming on. He tried the take-the-battery-off trick and that didn't fix it, followed by the paperclip trick on the low pressure switch. Still nothing.

Rich and Robbi are supposed to drive home to Texas tomorrow, and considering it's in the 80's here, and I'm sure it's warm in Florida, he'd like to have a/c. Any ideas??

-Mike
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: A/C Compressor not coming on   A/C Compressor not coming on Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2013 10:30 am

It's low on freon. There is a "safety" that prevents it from running when the freon is low. If he can get the AC charged in FL, that should do it. He'll eventually have to find the leak, but he'll be able to get home.

Been there, done that.

Tom
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: A/C Compressor not coming on   A/C Compressor not coming on Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2013 10:33 am

Tom, even if he is low, the compressor would have come on when he shorted the connector.

If the fuses are good (he checked the fuses, right?), tell him to go to a parts store/Target/WalMart/whatever and pick up one of the refill cans with a gauge on it. It will only be about twenty bucks. Get the connector on the accumulator and check the pressure. He doesn't want to actually add anything, just check the pressure. System off, it should be at least 30lbs on the low side (going from memory here). It will be pretty obvious if it has pressure or not. It should have turned on the compressor with the jumper on the connector, so suspect electrical, not pressure. Check the fuses Wink
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: A/C Compressor not coming on   A/C Compressor not coming on Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2013 10:54 am

Thanks all. I'd already told him to check fuses. He's running to the parts store for a can if 134 with a gauge on it.

Update when I hear back. Hope it comes back to life.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A/C Compressor not coming on   A/C Compressor not coming on Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2013 2:20 pm

If the freon is low enough,it may take a while after jumping the switch for the compressor to kick on and then it will only engage for a second or 2.On my OCC thats what happens and you can only
charge the system for those few seconds,eventually the compressor clutch will start engaging for
longer and longer periods enabling you to put in more freon until charged.Sounds harder than it
really is.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A/C Compressor not coming on   A/C Compressor not coming on Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A/C Compressor not coming on
Page 1 of 1