GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Surges Then Quits

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
MarkH

MarkH

Surges Then Quits Empty
PostSubject: Surges Then Quits   Surges Then Quits Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 1:30 pm

This started on Friday. I was headed out for lunch and pulled away from the curb and the car lurched forward slightly, I took my foot off the gas to let it coast and then put my foot back down on the pedal and it sputtered and quit. I started it again and thought maybe I didn't let it warm up enough.. it was in the 30's but not cold like it's been. So I let it sit for another 5 minutes and then it did it again. I THOUGHT it felt like it was running rich, because as long as I eased into the pedal it didn't quit. When it surges the idiot lights all turn on for a second and then off.

Then, I was driving home and went over a set of railroad tracks and every light on the dashboard flickered on and then off and then it quit again. So I was coasting at 40mph with no power steering. I put it in Neutral turned it over and it started right up and I was good to go. I got it home without any problems.

I was busy all weekend and didn't get a chance to look at it, so when I left for work this morning I let it warm up for a while and drove off... but... same thing, a surge, lights flicker and then quit. Luckily I was only 100 yards from my house before it quit. I'm at a total loss... I have an appointment at a local shop to have rear brakes fixed (brake lines completely rusted out) and to put new tires on. Hopefully I can get it there... you guys got any ideas?
Back to top Go down
http://DesignsbyMarkonline.net
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

Surges Then Quits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surges Then Quits   Surges Then Quits Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 1:32 pm

Check the battery cables & terminals for looseness and corrosion.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lakelandraceway.com/friends_garage
MarkH

MarkH

Surges Then Quits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surges Then Quits   Surges Then Quits Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 7:27 pm

I checked the battery terminals when I got home and they're fine. I was in the car and my dad slammed the good and the lights flickered again. Drive the car to shop and it sputtered over both sets of tracks and a bumpy section of road. I'm guessing there's gonna be a loose wire somewhere.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

Surges Then Quits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surges Then Quits   Surges Then Quits Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 7:39 pm

Check the grounds?
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

Surges Then Quits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surges Then Quits   Surges Then Quits Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 8:06 pm

Auxiliary battery post?
Back to top Go down

Surges Then Quits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surges Then Quits   Surges Then Quits Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 11:20 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:
Auxiliary battery post?

Check for rust underneath the aux post on the inner fender.Has to be something simple to fix at least for one of us,maybe not you Mark! lol!
Back to top Go down
MarkH

MarkH

Surges Then Quits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surges Then Quits   Surges Then Quits Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 10:14 am

Dang Jim.... I don't think we can be friends anymore.

It ended up being the grounds. They cleaned'em all up and plugged everything back in. Car runs like a champ now. Glad it was an easy fix. I had it in the shop anyway for new tires so I figured what the heck, why not.
Back to top Go down

Surges Then Quits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surges Then Quits   Surges Then Quits Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 4:12 pm

WOOHOO!Glad its fixed and it wasnt too hard to find!You could always ask sis for help!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Surges Then Quits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surges Then Quits   Surges Then Quits Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Surges Then Quits
Page 1 of 1