GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd

Go down 
+5
81X11
95BRMW
94X2
phantom 309
MarkH
9 posters
AuthorMessage
MarkH

MarkH

Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd Empty
PostSubject: Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd   Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 10:01 am

I picked up my RMW two weeks ago and the PO said that the car had a slight hiccup that he was able to fix with Seafoam. It was fine when I picked it up but it's steadily gotten worse. It runs OK (not perfect) when in Park or Nutreal, but when it's in gear it jerks, sputters and/or misfires. I've noticed a noise that sounds like a "SPFT" when it misses. So I tried Seafoam, HEET and condensed injector cleaner. None of them seemed to work. Friend of mine thought it might be the tranny so we changed the filter and gasket and still sputters. I posted on a different forum (impalassforum.com) how it was acting and few different guys suggested the EGR valve. I tried the "sure fire test" of disconnecting the EGR and ran it without the vacuum line attached and it ran exactly the same... so I thought, OK, gotta be the EGR. Changed it out last night and the old was was pretty clogged.

Old EGR
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

New EGR

Installed

Started getting excited, buttoned everything back up and took her for a test drive. I knew it wasn't the EGR even before I got down my block. Misfire and SPFT Mad Mad Mad
So here's what I've noticed. It only jerks and sputters when Im giving it gas and it occasionally dies at a stoplight/sign. Even when I have the cruise on it'll sputter etc. I've also noticed that when I open the gas tank, the cap is under extreme pressure and it let's out a HUGE amount of trapped air in the tank. The only time it doesn't sputter is when I've got the pedal mashed to the floor and it's in overdrive. She runs like a brute!! Trouble is I can't afford to drive it like that... I WISH!!!.. lol Im also getting a Check Engine Light... where can I take it to get the code? Autozone will only do 96 and up... mine's a 94.

thanks!!

Mark

Last edited by MarkH on Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://DesignsbyMarkonline.net
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd   Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 10:25 am

I,ve no experience with elephant turds in any way, i,m not sure how one does get experience with them,microwaved or otherwise

Internet diagnosis is always a shot in the dark so to speak,. but your troubles sound like a vacuum leak to me,.you need to eliminate the obvious variables, bad coil wire, bad fuel filter, bad plugs,.bad wires, suitable fuel pressure etc,. etc,.

Nick
Back to top Go down
MarkH

MarkH

PostSubject: Re: Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd   Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 10:27 am

Fuel filter, plugs and wires were my next step.
Back to top Go down
94X2

94X2

PostSubject: Re: Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd   Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 12:27 pm

Best way to read the code:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Jon
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd   Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 12:51 pm

First thing is to read the codes, then take it from there. I would also check for a bad plug wire. Unplug the dome light and run it in the dark and look where the wires route for any archs.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd   Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 2:17 pm

Yep, plug wire, plug,...or sick OptiSpark....
Back to top Go down
MarkH

MarkH

PostSubject: Re: Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd   Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 2:38 pm

where can I get a scanner for my 94? Autozone only tests cars 96 and newer and I was just gonna buy one but Harbor Freight only has code scanners for 96 and newer too.
Back to top Go down
94X2

94X2

PostSubject: Re: Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd   Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 2:53 pm

Did you look at my post? You can read the codes through the climate control. Turn the key on and hold the "off" and "temp up" button together. After a short time it will all light up and then display 00. Just hit the "middle" button then and you can cycle through the codes.

I used to have a scanner that would read 94/95's. I got it at carquest but it was rather expensive.

Jon
Back to top Go down
MarkH

MarkH

PostSubject: Re: Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd   Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 4:02 pm

94X2 wrote:
Did you look at my post? You can read the codes through the climate control. Turn the key on and hold the "off" and "temp up" button together. After a short time it will all light up and then display 00. Just hit the "middle" button then and you can cycle through the codes.

I used to have a scanner that would read 94/95's. I got it at carquest but it was rather expensive.

Jon

AAAHHHH... Gotcha know. I didn't understand... Ok, I'll try that. THANKS!! Does the car have to be running or in just the crank position?
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd   Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 4:28 pm

Your descriptions are beautiful. It's like I'm right there with you, at the microwave.
Back to top Go down
MarkH

MarkH

PostSubject: Re: Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd   Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 4:44 pm

Bewber wrote:
Your descriptions are beautiful. It's like I'm right there with you, at the microwave.

I was gonna say, warmed over... but you get the true idea of what a microwaved elephant turd would be like... warm, hard and stale on the outside and iced cold in the middle.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd   Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 8:13 pm

That had to be a giant damn microwave!And I dont want any microwave popcorn at your house!
JG
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd   Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 8:42 pm

MarkH wrote:
Bewber wrote:

I was gonna say, warmed over... but you get the true idea of what a microwaved elephant turd would be like... warm, hard and stale on the outside and iced cold in the middle.

Thats a load of crap,..

egr doesn't look too bad either,.

Nick
Back to top Go down
MarkH

MarkH

PostSubject: Re: Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd   Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 9:16 pm

Took some video today on the way home from work to show what's going on. Take a look and lemme know. I got a radiator sensor warning.

youtube.com/watch?v=zomacqVqRMQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

youtube.com/watch?v=W9Cxye4HEkw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

youtube.com/watch?v=jzQmfXcA2nw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd   Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd Icon_minitimeSat Aug 27, 2011 4:23 pm

...and my friend Nick is correct once again.. warmed over elephant turds are in fact a bunch of crap. For the record.. so are sheep turds

So did you pull the codes yet?
If so, what were they?.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd   Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd Icon_minitimeSat Aug 27, 2011 4:46 pm

you have a bad wire somewhere or the temp sensor in the w/p is bad,.

Nick
Back to top Go down
MarkH

MarkH

PostSubject: Re: Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd   Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd Icon_minitimeSat Aug 27, 2011 5:32 pm

phantom 309 wrote:

Nick

so do Inreplace the wterpump or just the sensor?
Back to top Go down
MarkH

MarkH

PostSubject: Re: Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd   Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd Icon_minitimeSat Aug 27, 2011 7:23 pm

let me rephrase that: do I need to replace....stupid iPhone auto correct...
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd   Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd Icon_minitimeSat Aug 27, 2011 11:47 pm

Just the sensor, it screws into the waterpump
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd   Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd Icon_minitimeSat Aug 27, 2011 11:49 pm

i figure a guy that can change his own egr valve,.should be able to change the w/p sensor easy enough,.
Nick
Back to top Go down
MarkH

MarkH

PostSubject: Re: Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd   Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd Icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2011 10:25 am

phantom 309 wrote:
i figure a guy that can change his own egr valve,.should be able to change the w/p sensor easy enough,.
Nick

You callin me out Nick?!... lol I didn't know if the sensor was IN the water pump or not and didn't want to replace something I didn't have to!!
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd   Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd Icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2011 11:21 am

MarkH wrote:
phantom 309 wrote:
Nick

You callin me out Nick?!... lol I didn't know if the sensor was IN the water pump or not and didn't want to replace something I didn't have to!!

No,. if you're quick and you have the new sensor taped ready to go,. (look at the front of your water pump,. it has two wires going to the sensor,.unplug it and see if your temp stops bouncing around,. you'll get a cel,. and both fans will run,.but it goes away when you plug it back in and restart) you can unscrew the old one and and switch quick and barely lose a cup of coolant,.

Nick
Back to top Go down
MarkH

MarkH

PostSubject: Re: Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd   Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd Icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 12:30 pm

phantom 309 wrote:
No,. if you're quick and you have the new sensor taped ready to go,. (look at the front of your water pump,. it has two wires going to the sensor,.unplug it and see if your temp stops bouncing around,. you'll get a cel,. and both fans will run,.but it goes away when you plug it back in and restart) you can unscrew the old one and and switch quick and barely lose a cup of coolant,.

Nick

I'll try that out either tonight or tomorrow evening. Probably going to have work late tonight since I got into work 3 hours late... due to 2 reasons:

Reason #1
BLOWOUT going 65mph

Reason #2
PO didn't tell me the spare had ALREADY BLOWN OUT!!!! My fault... should'a checked it.

So I had to call for a ride to the nearest tire store, have a new one put on... didn't have any whitewalls... Surprised/ Then back out to I80 where trucks are blasting past at about 80mph... I hate mornings like this. I tell ya... if I didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all.
Back to top Go down
MarkH

MarkH

PostSubject: Re: Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd   Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd Icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 1:48 pm

I meant to post this earlier. Here are the codes that I got from the diagnostic:

00 PCM Diagnostic Codes - 115
02 HVAC Diagnostic Trouble Codes - 110
16 - 109
17 -128
18 -115
19 -122
20 -152
21 155
22 -108
23 58
25 -154
26 -106
28 92
29 26
30 81
31 78
34 128
35 128
36 06
37 61
38 05

WHEW... thanks,

Mark
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd   Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd Icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 2:01 pm

MarkH wrote:
I tell ya... if I didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all.
welcome to the club,. i been down so long it looks like up to me,.
i don't even own a roady anymore,. hence the spare pile,.too bad you're not closer,.

Nick

clear those codes and start again,.
Back to top Go down
MarkH

MarkH

PostSubject: Re: Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd   Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd Icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 2:05 pm

WOW... no kidding. Your wheels look even nicer than the ones that are on my car... of course, I haven't had a chance to WASH THE CAR yet since I've been working on it so much lately... oh well.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd   Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd Icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 2:38 pm

that spare was OE, lol. I had one tire delam on me (got a golfball size bump in it), put on the spare and had blow out like yours while doing 70. I took sheet metal damage from the belt hitting the spare tire well (bent it up and in). I think the car next to me freaked out more than me as I hardly noticed any difference (although the spare wheel was a N97 rim so I probably could have driven home on it, lol).

So I had to put the bad tire back on and limp to a tire store. Ironic part was I had a set of 20s with tires with proper bolt pattern in the back the of the wagon, but they were all deflated....
Back to top Go down
MarkH

MarkH

PostSubject: Re: Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd   Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd Icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 5:37 pm

[quote="phantom 309"]
MarkH wrote:
clear those codes and start again,.

how do I clear the codes?
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd   Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd Icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 5:58 pm

I dunno on a buick,.mebbe the battery disconnect works?
i just clear my codes with my datamaster,.
Try plugging the egr vacuum port on the side of the intake,. see if that helps with your stumbling,. i just diagnosed mine as a bad egr solenoid,. and it was stumbling missing ,.
read my long winded wtf doh thread,.

nick
Back to top Go down
94X2

94X2

PostSubject: Re: Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd   Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 12:41 pm

how do I clear the codes?[/quote]

Battery disconnect.

Jon
Back to top Go down
MarkH

MarkH

PostSubject: Re: Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd   Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 11:36 pm

WHO GETS THE DOOR PRIZE?!?! Disconnected the water pump sensor, buttoned everything back up and she runs like a top!!! What a difference. NOW I just have to put the new one in. I didn't get the chance to work on in 'til late this evening so I'll put the new one on tomorrow. How long can I drive it with the sensor disconnected? I do about 70 miles round trip a say and I don't wanna F anything up by doing that. U can always take my wife's van to work if it's gonna break anything.... lemme know whatcha think. Can't wait tinkled pics the old sensor is completely corroded!!! There's dried anti-freeze over everything. Looks like there might've been a leak at one point. Thanks again for all you guys and your input!!! I love these forum communities!!
Back to top Go down
MarkH

MarkH

PostSubject: Re: Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd   Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 11:39 pm

Holy iPhone Auto Correct Batman!!!! Sorry about any confusion, I'm not that illiterate!!
Back to top Go down
MarkH

MarkH

PostSubject: Re: Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd   Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 11:45 pm

phantom 309 wrote:

Nick

Oooo Nick is the big winner!!! What would you like my friend... a sampling of the microwaved elephant turd or lifetime supply of used newspaper rubberbands???
Back to top Go down
MarkH

MarkH

PostSubject: Re: Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd   Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 11:47 pm

94X2 wrote:

how do I clear the codes?

Battery disconnect.

Jon[/quote]

Jon,

The battery died last week and I nought a new one so the battery was just disconnected a few days ago.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd   Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 9:21 am

Sorry to hear about the blowout and bad spare, no fun! Good to hear that you got the car running right.

Soon after I did the Corvette rail covers on my car I got a CE light, and I replaced the EGR three times....turned out I had two vaccum lines crossed at the front of the intake. Took two months and two mechanics to figure out my stupidity.

Never a dull moment!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd   Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 10:16 am

Started the car up once, pedal just went right to the floor...
... dumbass me forgot to hook the linkage back up to the throttle body

Back to top Go down
MarkH

MarkH

PostSubject: Re: Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd   Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 10:19 am

Thanks guys for all your help! Sorry about the multiple quotes last night. After coming in last night, I downed two beers in about 3 minutes of each other and then got online... lol NEVER a good idea. At least I don't have any exgirlfiend's email addresses!!... LOL

ANYWAY, so now that we've figured the sputtering, how do I squeeze more HP outa the old girl? I'd LOVE to clean up the engine bay and get rid of the toboggan that connects to the top of the intake. She's real sluggish off the line and the RPMs are up but we're hardly moving. I can take a vid and post later.

thanks again for all your help guys!!... and Nick... lemme know what you want for Christmas!

Mark
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd   Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 10:41 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Just to get you some projects started!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd   Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 6:43 pm

the plastic fuel rail covers give you the most HP gain of all the mods!! clown

glad you got her running right....
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd   Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 10:47 pm

Sprocket wrote:
the plastic fuel rail covers give you the most HP gain of all the mods!! clown

glad you got her running right....

NOT true, the lighted fuel rail covers have the most HP Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MarkH

MarkH

PostSubject: Re: Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd   Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 11:07 am

So, I know these cars are the last of the land V8 family cruisers and honestly, this is the first one I've ever drove or ridden in. Do they always sound and feel like they're pulling a tugboat barge up a hill? Just seems like the ol' girl is working really hard... maybe it's just me. I haven't had a V8 in nearly 4 years... so... anyway, here are a few pics from last night:

Old sensor

NEW Sensor In

Couple of weeks ago, my friend Chris and I were hard up for a funnel and we found the perfect one in of all places... the RECYCLING BIN!!!

Back to top Go down
MarkH

MarkH

PostSubject: Re: Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd   Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 1:28 pm

Id like to get some BUICK or ROADMASTER fuel rail covers... either find them or have some custom made... I want something a little different
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd   Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Misfires/Sputters/Surges etc... runs like a microwaved Elephant Turd
Page 1 of 1