GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Tailgate Glass Release button sticking

Go down 
+4
Olds Weighty Eight
Fred Kiehl
Gastt
81X11
8 posters
AuthorMessage
81X11

81X11

Tailgate Glass Release button sticking Empty
PostSubject: Tailgate Glass Release button sticking   Tailgate Glass Release button sticking Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 9:53 am

Anyone had this issue? Just recently the button on the tailgate of my OCC has been harder to press, and sometimes when you press it to pop the glass, the button does not pop back out. Have to slap the door a few times to get it out. Weird! Never has this issue on my Roady wagon. Do I need to pull the interior panel off and lube something??

Ideas welcome!

-Mike

Last edited by 81X11 on Tue May 07, 2013 11:38 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Gastt

Gastt

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate Glass Release button sticking   Tailgate Glass Release button sticking Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 11:19 am

Happens to mine too. I attributed it to my wagon being a POS (It just looks like a piece of **** but mechanically, it's great...besides the sticking lock). I used to pop it from the inside button. Now the window sticks. So, it's a two man job (one man and one woman, my wife, in my case). That, or I push it in and need to use the key to get it back out. Razz

In other words, you're not alone, and I'm watching this thread for ideas.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate Glass Release button sticking   Tailgate Glass Release button sticking Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 3:02 pm

I have not had that issue, but I would think it is dirt in the system. The button slides inside the lock, and has a return spring within the lock itself. It is possible that the lock is full of dirt, and impedeing the return. You will have to remove the lock from the gate. To get the lock out, you have to remove the interior, remove the 4 nuts that hold the trim around the lock, then drill out the two pop rivets that hold the lock to the gate. There is also a flat rod that actuates the latch mechanism, that will pull out with the lock. Do not try to disassemble the lock itself, but use a generous amount of carb cleaner to get the gunk out of the lock. You can use some dry lube to help it move again.

Last edited by Fred Kiehl on Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate Glass Release button sticking   Tailgate Glass Release button sticking Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 3:18 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
It is possible that the lock is full of dirt, and impedening the return.
On Mike's car? No way. Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.lakelandraceway.com/friends_garage

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate Glass Release button sticking   Tailgate Glass Release button sticking Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 3:35 pm

Olds Weighty Eight wrote:
Fred Kiehl wrote:
It is possible that the lock is full of dirt, and impedening the return.
On Mike's car? No way. Razz
Beat me to it Greg,just get some lock lubricant and spray a little into the keyway first before you start taking everything apart!
Nevermind,knowing Mike its already torn apart with the tailgate laying across the GTOs hood on a blanket!
Good Lock Mike!
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate Glass Release button sticking   Tailgate Glass Release button sticking Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 4:00 pm

Naw have not messed with it yet. Been distracted with the Denali, but will mess with it some this weekend.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate Glass Release button sticking   Tailgate Glass Release button sticking Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 8:45 pm

Geez, TWO lemons? Wink

I'd try cleaning and lubing it. Smile
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate Glass Release button sticking   Tailgate Glass Release button sticking Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2013 10:45 am

So the plot thickens here. In addition to the button sticking, I can no longer lock the tailgate with the key. I can turn it to the left to pop the glass, but it will not turn to the right, and in addition the key sticks in the lock. Had trouble getting it out last night. I think the tumbler inside is damaged.

The blue trim panel on the inside of the gate is scratched. Will run to San Antonio soon and see if I can find a better trim panel, and while the panel is off will take the lock out and run it to the local locksmith.

Projects.

-Mike
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate Glass Release button sticking   Tailgate Glass Release button sticking Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2013 11:39 am

Keep us posted, I have the same issue with my Caprice. Button eventually stopped being able to push, but I can still turn to pop/lock.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate Glass Release button sticking   Tailgate Glass Release button sticking Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2013 11:53 am

Will do
Back to top Go down
KCClark

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate Glass Release button sticking   Tailgate Glass Release button sticking Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 11:23 am

The rear glass on one of my wagons is not popping out most of the time now. Any updates Mr. Massey?
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate Glass Release button sticking   Tailgate Glass Release button sticking Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 11:34 am

I've not taken mine apart yet. My glass pops fine with the button on the dash, and the door opens fine when unlocked. On mine the issue is something to do with the lock button itself. When I put the key in and turn it, it does not want to turn all the way back, and the key does not want to come out of the lock.

When I finally wiggle the key out, the lock is still not fully verticle, and yes the button sticks when I push it in. The glass will open, but I have to slap the tailgate to get the button to pop back out.

For now I've left it alone. I'm looking for a good blue tailgate panel that's not all scratched up, and once I find that I'll yank the lock assembly, take it to a locksmith, and then put it all back together.

Projects!

Good luck with yours!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate Glass Release button sticking   Tailgate Glass Release button sticking Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 11:42 am

jayoldschool wrote:
Keep us posted, I have the same issue with my Caprice. Button eventually stopped being able to push, but I can still turn to pop/lock.

I'll update, I can no longer turn to lock or pop. In unrelated news, a bad back prevents me from popping and locking.
Back to top Go down
goodbudwrnch329

goodbudwrnch329

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate Glass Release button sticking   Tailgate Glass Release button sticking Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 6:09 pm

try spraying WD40 on lock and inside tumbler and work it baby!!!! had mine stick before. took it all apart for nothing.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate Glass Release button sticking   Tailgate Glass Release button sticking Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 6:50 pm

If the key is stuck in the lock, the bar is probably stuck. When you put the key in, it allows the bar to retract into the tumbler, so you can turn the cylinder. If the bar is stuck in the locked position, it will not turn. If the bar sticks in the open position, the key is pinned in the lock. If the bar is crooked, it can allow the lock to move in one direction, and not the other.

I have a complete set of locks for a 91-96 Caprice/91-93 RMW/OCC, and a set for a 94-96 RMW.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate Glass Release button sticking   Tailgate Glass Release button sticking Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tailgate Glass Release button sticking
Page 1 of 1