GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Black Betty Blacked Out

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
turbojimmy

Black Betty Blacked Out Empty
PostSubject: Black Betty Blacked Out   Black Betty Blacked Out Icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2013 9:39 am

Black Betty Blacked Out Blackbetty_zps36ad69db

My brother had the Black Betty blacked out.

We're wondering about the woodgrain. We think it was hit pretty hard in the front. The fenders and front doors on both sides appear to have been replaced. The woodgrain doesn't match. Can it be replaced? Does it peel off easily?

In other news, I'm starting on removing the engine and transmission from the original The Betty. I need the transmission for my Fleetwood and I want to keep the engine around as a spare. This is the last step in the final demise of that car, unfortunately.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Black Betty Blacked Out   Black Betty Blacked Out Icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2013 12:00 pm

That looks MUCH better! Very Happy

And yeah, with a heat gun, it comes off ok. But you'll need to do body work to remove all the pins that the clips attach to for the trim. And the door handle holes were fogged with tan paint before the clear was sprayed, so you'll need to paint it.

Orrrrrr, just leave it. Wink 99 out of 100 people won't notice the difference in the "wood." Wink
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: Black Betty Blacked Out   Black Betty Blacked Out Icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2013 1:41 pm

Looks good.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Betty Blacked Out   Black Betty Blacked Out Icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2013 1:42 pm

Looks awesome,hope its not too dark!
Back to top Go down
turbojimmy

PostSubject: Re: Black Betty Blacked Out   Black Betty Blacked Out Icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2013 2:37 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
Looks awesome,hope its not too dark!

It's 5% except for the front windows which are 15%. I have the same set up on my limo. I can see out of the front easily day or night. The back is okay during the day, but at night it's a little rough. In the case of the limo, the back window is too far back to be useful anyway so it doesn't matter.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Black Betty Blacked Out   Black Betty Blacked Out Icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2013 4:51 pm

Get the tint and sheen right and nobody will care if the pattern is off. Try clearcoating the lighter-colored woodgrain and see if that darkens it. Otherwise, take some 0000 steel wool and I think lacquer thinner (or maybe Isopropyl alcohol) and that will lighten up the darker wood (not my first choice but I've seen it done and it works).
Back to top Go down
turbojimmy

PostSubject: Re: Black Betty Blacked Out   Black Betty Blacked Out Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 1:39 pm

I think the pattern is okay, but it's the tint and sheen that are off. The car would look cool all black, but that's not really the way nature intended it to be. It was built with wood.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Black Betty Blacked Out   Black Betty Blacked Out Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Black Betty Blacked Out
Page 1 of 1