GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

So what are the worst jobs on the B-body wagons?

Go down 
+8
Fred Kiehl
95BRMW
Krzdimond
phantom 309
200OZ
BigBlackBeaSSt
Sprocket
Nick Danger
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

So what are the worst jobs on the B-body wagons? Empty
PostSubject: So what are the worst jobs on the B-body wagons?   So what are the worst jobs on the B-body wagons? Icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 7:59 pm

Silverfox says that replacing the rear shocks and dropping the tank to replace the fuel pump are his worst jobs.

I didn't have a big problem with the rear shocks because I have a rust-free car and installed the new shocks with NavyLifer's bolts. But getting to the heater core was incredibly frustrating. I left that one screw off. And I didn't know about pulling out the seat for more room.
Back to top Go down
http://www.unseengallery.com

PostSubject: Re: So what are the worst jobs on the B-body wagons?   So what are the worst jobs on the B-body wagons? Icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 8:11 pm

Heater core sucked, but it wasn't terrible. It was definitely annoying laying at that weird angle with the seat still in the car, though (my one seat nut refused to come off. I fought through it... eventually I will split the nut and remove the seat.)

Rear shocks I didn't think were that bad at all.

Fuel pump... I can see it being frustrating if you don't have a second pair of hands, but even that was only about an hour or so.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: So what are the worst jobs on the B-body wagons?   So what are the worst jobs on the B-body wagons? Icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 8:31 pm

the plug wires on an Opti if you don't take off the water pump.....hands down. Took me 4-5 hours for the passenger side

I learned three days later when I had to pull the cap and took the water pump off....DOH!
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: So what are the worst jobs on the B-body wagons?   So what are the worst jobs on the B-body wagons? Icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 8:52 pm

plug wires on the passenger side!!!
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: So what are the worst jobs on the B-body wagons?   So what are the worst jobs on the B-body wagons? Icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 9:22 pm

X2 on the LT1 plug wires on the passenger side.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: So what are the worst jobs on the B-body wagons?   So what are the worst jobs on the B-body wagons? Icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 9:34 pm

On an LT1 wagon,..

re[re pass side exh manifold,.
re-re power steering pump,.
changing a motor with trans still in the car,.
re-re a/c compressor,.
removing broken spark plugs,.
removing broken exhaust manifold to head bolts,.

On a TBI wagon,.

well after the fuel pump,..
they're just for kids,.and easy to work on,. Razz

Nick

Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: So what are the worst jobs on the B-body wagons?   So what are the worst jobs on the B-body wagons? Icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 10:07 pm

AC compressor was a breeze... It's the falling ratchet and 12" extension that is the HOLY HELL (Unless you disconnect the battery...)

Worst job? ANYTHING on the side of the highway.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: So what are the worst jobs on the B-body wagons?   So what are the worst jobs on the B-body wagons? Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 7:59 am

Almost anything on the passenger side of the engine on an LT1 car.
Removing a trans with the cats still installed (damn those trans lines!)
Rear shocks (thank you rust!)
Replacing rear axle brake hose

I really didn't find the heater core all that bad, just time consuming. Removing the passenger seat helps tremendously
Wires on an LT1 are a pain if you the first one to do them and all the clips are still there. If someone broke all the clips for you, then it's much easier Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: So what are the worst jobs on the B-body wagons?   So what are the worst jobs on the B-body wagons? Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 11:00 am

Replacing the trans mount on a TBI car...the correct trans mount is not available. The replacements that are available are too tall, and do not fit.

The fuel pump is not all that bad if you can get the fuel out of the tank. More time than effort.

The heater core is relatively easy if you have the right tools. I think the "quick releases" on the TBI cars are more trouble than they are quick.

Spring replacement with OEM springs is a real PITA. It is dangerous too.

The upper front control arm on the driver's side is a piece of work. I found the easiest way is to remove the studs.

One of my "have someone else do it" items is the master cylinder. It has to be bench bled, and does not lend itself to ease of installation without evacuating itself while installing.

I think the worst job is replacing the rear quarter windows, or the vista window. You need the correct tools, or it will never get done. You usually have to do repair work as well, which adds to the PITA factor by a multiple of 10. You have to remove all of the cargo bay interior and headliner. The C pillars do not come out easily, so you have to work with them "loose". You usually break the headliner at the vista window, and the trim attached to the C pillar is attached to other parts which do not lend themselves to separation. Reassembly of the interior has some quirks.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: So what are the worst jobs on the B-body wagons?   So what are the worst jobs on the B-body wagons? Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 11:55 am

Removing an LT1 with the cats still attached. lol
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: So what are the worst jobs on the B-body wagons?   So what are the worst jobs on the B-body wagons? Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 12:17 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
One of my "have someone else do it" items is the master cylinder.

I have several of those: 1. front end parts, 2. mufflers etc. 3. transmissions and 4. rear brakes. The older I get, the longer that list gets.

Tom
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: So what are the worst jobs on the B-body wagons?   So what are the worst jobs on the B-body wagons? Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 8:39 pm

I didn't even consider doing the rear quarter window myself when some vandal broke ours. I took it to professionals. Unfortunately I picked the wrong glass shop, and they even did damage to the glass of the front passenger window.

The rear brake hose was definitely a nuisance. My arms were pretty scraped up when I was done.
Back to top Go down
http://www.unseengallery.com
benn

benn

PostSubject: Re: So what are the worst jobs on the B-body wagons?   So what are the worst jobs on the B-body wagons? Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 9:33 pm

nearing the rehabilitation of my '95, i can say that rear shocks on a northern car are a huge pain in the ass. the rear brake hose wasnt too bad to do, brakelines were easy but time consuming.
Back to top Go down
Robert 96

PostSubject: Re: So what are the worst jobs on the B-body wagons?   So what are the worst jobs on the B-body wagons? Icon_minitimeFri May 17, 2013 6:06 am

Agree with Tom!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So what are the worst jobs on the B-body wagons?   So what are the worst jobs on the B-body wagons? Icon_minitimeFri May 17, 2013 8:37 am

Guess its a given that any repair involving the underside of a northern car is considerably more difficult than the same repair on a lifetime southern car.As a youth I spent my summers at my grandmothers home in Ohio and I still remember mu uncle banging away with a BFH on the front suspension prior to beginning any repairs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So what are the worst jobs on the B-body wagons?   So what are the worst jobs on the B-body wagons? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

So what are the worst jobs on the B-body wagons?
Page 1 of 1