GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

ruh ohh whered the brakes go?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
poppawoodie

poppawoodie

ruh ohh whered the brakes go? Empty
PostSubject: ruh ohh whered the brakes go?   ruh ohh whered the brakes go? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 10:21 pm

91 rmw new rotors pads shoes spring kit andwheel cyls. On rough pavemant while applying the brake occas on hard stops and if I am at a light and applying the brake enough to let the pads touch and drag the pedal drops and vibrates. Once I let go and apply again its fine, but the abs light comes on. Ive heard two possibilities one is the master failing, the other sounds more likely and its needing the brakes powerbled. Any other suggestions or agrees would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: ruh ohh whered the brakes go?   ruh ohh whered the brakes go? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 8:38 am

Well, since bleeding the lines would be easy and cheap. I'm sure that's where you are planning to start. Good idea.

Dave
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: ruh ohh whered the brakes go?   ruh ohh whered the brakes go? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 9:51 am

Check the fluid level in the master cylinder as well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ruh ohh whered the brakes go?   ruh ohh whered the brakes go? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 11:45 pm

I would look closely at the booster vacuum line coming from the engine.About 3 weeks ago on my brothers 99 tahoe,brake pedal would go soft on.Replaced line and no more problems.
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: ruh ohh whered the brakes go?   ruh ohh whered the brakes go? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 8:31 am

poppawoodie wrote:
91 rmw new rotors pads shoes spring kit and wheel cyls. On rough pavement while applying the brake occas on hard stops
both situations that could potentially trigger the ABS system
Quote :
and if I am at a light and applying the brake enough to let the pads touch and drag the pedal drops and vibrates.
The ABS motor on these cars makes a very noticeable vibration in the pedal. Usually quite audible too. However, the ABS system is not supposed to operate at very low speed -- 4 mph, IIRC -- because the wheel sensors are not sufficiently accurate.
Quote :
Once I let go and apply again its fine, but the abs light comes on.

ABS light = problem with ABS system. Does the light stay on or go out when you release the brakes? (It should actually latch on until the key is cycled).
Quote :
Ive heard two possibilities one is the master failing, the other sounds more likely and its needing the brakes powerbled.
Final pedal height changes when brakes are pumped (pressed and released once or twice) -- but pedal stays firm at final height -- usually indicates a small air bubble in the system. If the pedal slowly continues to drop, that indicates a leak in the system somewhere. If the leak is not external and there is no fluid loss over time, then the leak may be internal to the master cylinder. Neither an air bubble nor a leak should cause vibration in the pedal.

It never hurts to bleed the brakes. In fact, you should suck the fluid out of the reservoir, wipe it out and bleed the brakes every couple of years just to flush out the accumulated dark spooge. So go ahead and start with that. But I think you need to scan the ABS computer and find out what's going on in that tiny little brain.

It should be setting an error code when the ABS light comes on but this may be a case were the raw data is more important. Specifically, what are the wheel speeds at the time? How do the wheel speeds compare to the vehicle speed sensor? Sitting at a light, all 4 wheels should be 0 -- and therefore the ABS system should not be trying to operate (assuming that's the source of the vibration you feel in the pedal). IIRC, the ABS compares the wheel speed signals against the vehicle speed signal from the transmission to determine which wheels are losing traction (ie: significantly slower). Something strange is going on if the ABS is kicking in at a stop.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: ruh ohh whered the brakes go?   ruh ohh whered the brakes go? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 8:55 am

I had the proportioning valve stick with total bias to the rear brakes. The only remedy was a used one from a junk yard. When the brakes were applied, they were not effective to a great degree. I seemed like I had "poor" brakes. I did have an accident because of it. The car would not stop, and I had the brake pedal pushed all the way to the floor.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: ruh ohh whered the brakes go?   ruh ohh whered the brakes go? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 10:34 am

Try cleaning all the metal and crud off the front abs sensors. I had the exact same problem with my gmc sierra and my dad's ford ranger. Faulty front abs sensors cycled the abs at parking lot speeds, just before i came to a stop. Made for quite a few butt-puckers when the truck wouldn't want to stop pulling into a parking space or behind a car at a set of lights! Shocked 
Back to top Go down
poppawoodie

poppawoodie

PostSubject: Re: ruh ohh whered the brakes go?   ruh ohh whered the brakes go? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 24, 2013 1:09 am

Thanks guys my left foot has been permanently stuck to the e brake just in case, I will check out your suggestions. Its only at parking lot speeds, sensors sound pretty likely at this point. Its a def failure to stop and ive panicked a few times, I will let you know what happens
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: ruh ohh whered the brakes go?   ruh ohh whered the brakes go? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 24, 2013 5:09 am

Unplug the ABS fuse to disable the system until you get this figured out and fixed. If this is an ABS system failure, that should allow you to stop again.
Back to top Go down
poppawoodie

poppawoodie

PostSubject: Re: ruh ohh whered the brakes go?   ruh ohh whered the brakes go? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 12:39 am

buickwagon wrote:
Unplug the ABS fuse to disable the system until you get this figured out and fixed. If this is an ABS system failure, that should allow you to stop again.

Now thats an educated man thank you, sometimes I need a slap across the back of my head to wake me up. Pullin fuse first thing in morning
Back to top Go down
poppawoodie

poppawoodie

PostSubject: Re: ruh ohh whered the brakes go?   ruh ohh whered the brakes go? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2013 12:00 am

Well had system flushed and power bled so far so good, hitting rough roads and brakin is minorly sketchy but wayyyyy better
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ruh ohh whered the brakes go?   ruh ohh whered the brakes go? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2013 10:49 am

Dont forget to reinstall the ABS fuse when the brakes are finally functioning correctly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ruh ohh whered the brakes go?   ruh ohh whered the brakes go? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ruh ohh whered the brakes go?
Page 1 of 1