GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Unfortunate news

Go down 
+28
toomanytoyz
scoffman
benn
Roadagon
Lynol
brokecello
94Woody
Fred Kiehl
95BRMW
buickwagon
Big Wagon Guy
mtrhead79
BigBlackBeaSSt
jasonlachapelle
zach.skinner510
jayoldschool
Krzdimond
GSBULLDOG
convert2diesel
Dutch Pete
phantom 309
DBeaSSt
200OZ
Olds Weighty Eight
bamalongroof
silverfox103
s1l1sc
sherlock9c1
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
sherlock9c1

Unfortunate news - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unfortunate news   Unfortunate news - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 08, 2013 7:18 pm

Just wanted to bring some closure to this matter, as I think I finally received my LAST bill in the mail on it on Friday.  

Unsurprisingly, the car was declared a total loss by the insurance company.  After some back and forth, I ended up getting back what I paid for the car minus my deductible.  It was VERY difficult for both the insurance company and I to find comparable sales, so just be aware of this if you end up in this situation.  If you don't have an agreed value policy and you think your car is worth something, strongly consider getting one.  These cars are so one-of-a-kind now!

I simply didn't have the time to do anything with the car, but I didn't want it just to go to any old junkyard, I sold it to a gentleman I met locally who is going to use all of the remaining good parts (and there are a lot) on his car.  He is not going to part it out, so please no requests for parts.   BTW, in case you are interested, the wheels were American Racing Torqlite wheels (they really worked nice with the white/black/ no wood combo).  

I did spend a few minutes looking under the hood but the whole thing is just a big tangled mess of burned plastic and wires with no insulation.  There's no telling what started it.

In retrospect:
I am thankful that I was the only one in the car when it happened.  
I am thankful the fire dept. was only a mile away and came fast.
I am thankful that my minor smoke inhalation did not result in any long-term health problems.  I have since found out that some people with car fire smoke inhalation have to use inhalers for months afterwards.  There are some VERY dangerous chemicals released when cars burn.  I cannot overstate this.  If you don't believe me, go read what is released when viton seals burn.
I am thankful I had comprehensive insurance on the car.  The medical bills have been nuts, but the insurance company has been helpful in dealing with all of it.

So far, the medical bills for this little incident have been as follows:
Ambulance ride of a total of 3 miles:  $375 + $9 a mile = $402
Two hours sitting in the ER and getting a chest X-ray:  $226 + 325 = $551
Doctor's bill from the attending physician:  $200.

If you take nothing else away from this, please be careful when working on your own car, whether fuel, electrical, suspension, brakes, even tires.  If you crash into someone else because of a failure on your own car, the costs could be astronomical, and the few $ you saved would be of no comfort.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Unfortunate news   Unfortunate news - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 08, 2013 8:28 pm

Wow, those medical costs are a real eye opener. Politics aside, I'm glad I don't have to worry about that.
Back to top Go down
scoffman

scoffman

PostSubject: Re: Unfortunate news   Unfortunate news - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 09, 2013 10:04 am

I'm glad you're okay Sherlock9c1. Sorry to hear about the hassle you've been through with the bills and payouts and such. I hope you have found that replacement wagon and will be getting it soon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unfortunate news   Unfortunate news - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Unfortunate news
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2