GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Tire WHilne - Solved

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Sprocket

Sprocket

Tire WHilne - Solved Empty
PostSubject: Tire WHilne - Solved   Tire WHilne - Solved Icon_minitimeThu Dec 26, 2013 6:46 pm

I'm running Goodyear RS-As 235-55-17s on Impala rims.  About a week ago one of the tires (pretty sure the passenger front) has developed a whine like and offroad AT tire.   Any ideas?  I visually inspected the tire and don't see anything wrong with it.  They are about 18 month old tires.  No pull underway or braking.  wear is even....

Turned out to be the inner wheel bearing on the passenger front.
The whine has the vibration resonating through the frame of the car. Sounded alot like off road tire whine, but hats off to Superior Finish for calling it.

Last edited by Sprocket on Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tire WHilne - Solved   Tire WHilne - Solved Icon_minitimeThu Dec 26, 2013 9:45 pm

Is whine always at the same speed no matter the engine rpm or transmission gear?Windows up/down,AC on or off?I know that you like the classics so have you ruled out the stereo and passenger speakers?
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Tire WHilne - Solved   Tire WHilne - Solved Icon_minitimeThu Dec 26, 2013 11:24 pm

When was the last time the bearings were packed?
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Tire WHilne - Solved   Tire WHilne - Solved Icon_minitimeFri Dec 27, 2013 3:37 am

Superior Finish wrote:

X2
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Tire WHilne - Solved   Tire WHilne - Solved Icon_minitimeFri Dec 27, 2013 8:36 am

Did you try moving it to another corner to see if it is the tire, or something else?
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Tire WHilne - Solved   Tire WHilne - Solved Icon_minitimeFri Dec 27, 2013 4:01 pm

Superior Finish wrote:

I think that answers my question. Tomorrow would be the answer. I bought the car from Chris with 228 on it. It has 257K now and I haven't touched them. Mebbie Chris will jump in if he ever did it. Front end has been redone, so I'd guess then maybe.

No Ac, blower is shot, winders down cause it's in the 80s here, Stereo off. Started about 200 miles ago, right after the starter was replaced.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Tire WHilne - Solved   Tire WHilne - Solved Icon_minitimeSat Dec 28, 2013 6:21 pm

Well, it was the inner bearing on the passenger front (where it felt like the noise originated).
Took off the rotor and the outer looked good. Popped out the back one and while I was cleaning it I noticed I had glitter grease, lol. Little silver flecks. Ran to the parts store. $32 later I'm back in biznez as I did both sides inner and outer with new bearings. The other three I saved as they are all good, in case I need one in a pinch (ie - put 'em in my travel kit).

Also, replaced the front shocks as they were DONE. I could move the shaft with one hand and they wouldn't rebound. Also, an oil change and lube the fittings.

Got it all done before it rained (got a late start as I waited for the wind to dry the ground this AM).

Road test successful. Just need that AC blower fixed and a wash/wax and I'm dealing.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Tire WHilne - Solved   Tire WHilne - Solved Icon_minitimeSat Dec 28, 2013 8:52 pm

I have a bunch of OEM blowers, and an aftermarket one as well.

There is a half price sale at all LKQ yards (I believe all).

You should get a couple of inner race seals, because the old ones are usually toast when you pull the rotor off. BTW, if you put the nut back on before pulling the rotor off, it will pop the rear seal. It may even save the seal and allow for its reuse.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Tire WHilne - Solved   Tire WHilne - Solved Icon_minitimeSun Dec 29, 2013 10:18 am

I have a blower in the garage, just need to make the time.

Good tip on the seal. I replaced mine ($4 each) and used the nut on the spindle trick. It works well, learned it a loooong time ago Smile

Hmm half of LKQ....leg is feeling a bit better
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tire WHilne - Solved   Tire WHilne - Solved Icon_minitimeSun Dec 29, 2013 10:44 am

Wait, is it really?

Hmmm.... ugh. Decisions, decisions.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Tire WHilne - Solved   Tire WHilne - Solved Icon_minitimeSun Dec 29, 2013 1:05 pm

Stingroo wrote:
Wait, is it really?

Hmmm.... ugh. Decisions, decisions.

no not today for us. Ohterwise you woulda got a phone call already
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tire WHilne - Solved   Tire WHilne - Solved Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tire WHilne - Solved
Page 1 of 1