GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rear wiper problems

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Zorrodeporro

Zorrodeporro

Rear wiper problems Empty
PostSubject: Rear wiper problems   Rear wiper problems Icon_minitimeWed Jan 01, 2014 9:53 am

Hi Guys,

Yesterday my rearwiperarm fell off when I was trying to fix the -----thing, so how do you replace the rear wiper arm? And does anyone have a rear wiper arm for my '92 Chevy Caprice wagon?
Back to top Go down
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

PostSubject: Re: Rear wiper problems   Rear wiper problems Icon_minitimeWed Jan 01, 2014 3:39 pm

Lift upward on the arm and there is a slide piece that moves over to lock it in the up position. While up, you can wiggle the arm off the post. Its that easy.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Rear wiper problems   Rear wiper problems Icon_minitimeWed Jan 01, 2014 9:42 pm

Since it fell off, you may have to do a little inspection. Is the locking/release lever still there? Did the entire arm come off, or did it break at the hinge? If it broke at the hinge, it is toast. If it came off, and the lever is not there, it is also toast. If the lever is there, and you can put the base partway over the shaft, lift the arm, and pull the lever out until it locks the arm up, then you can reinstall it by pushing it over the shaft, and push the lever back in while holding the arm up.

The last two wagons in the yards here had broken or missing rear wiper arms. Everybody should look for substitute arms for the rear of the cars. There has to be one that will fit out there somewhere.
Back to top Go down
Zorrodeporro

Zorrodeporro

PostSubject: Re: Rear wiper problems   Rear wiper problems Icon_minitimeFri Jan 03, 2014 11:07 am

It broke while trying to get the darn thing of close to the point where you can lift the wiper arm a bit. Do I need a whole new motor or just a new wiper arm?
Thanks for the input.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Rear wiper problems   Rear wiper problems Icon_minitimeFri Jan 03, 2014 7:33 pm

I am not sure what you did. You are supposed to lift the arm, THEN pull the tab for the release lever away from the body of the arm. The arm will stay up. You can then wiggle it off.

If you broke the lever, you probably just need a new arm.
Back to top Go down
Zorrodeporro

Zorrodeporro

PostSubject: Re: Rear wiper problems   Rear wiper problems Icon_minitimeSat Jan 04, 2014 5:03 am

Rear wiper problems Foto3_zps386c7362

I broke it just close to the lever, I've for now put a bolt in it so that the wiperarm is still in place. So, it's broke before the bolt as you can see in the picture. Can I still fix it by replacing the wiperarm?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Rear wiper problems   Rear wiper problems Icon_minitimeSat Jan 04, 2014 8:37 am

The arm in the picture is toast. If you find another arm, you can replace it in its entirety. The arm itself is not repairable. The picture is too dark to determine if the lock lever is still there. It should be about an inch to the right of the nut. You have to be able to pull it away from the base of the arm to remove the arm from the output shaft.
Back to top Go down
Zorrodeporro

Zorrodeporro

PostSubject: Re: Rear wiper problems   Rear wiper problems Icon_minitimeSun Jan 05, 2014 2:44 pm

Today, I was able to replace the wiper-arm. The old one came off fine and the new one fits perfectly.
Thanks a lot everybody for the help during this 'operation'. Cool 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear wiper problems   Rear wiper problems Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rear wiper problems
Page 1 of 1