GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Emergency backup hood release

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
sj95rmw

Emergency backup hood release Empty
PostSubject: Emergency backup hood release   Emergency backup hood release Icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2014 5:32 pm

So I go out this morning to check the oil & transmission fluid in my new 95 wagon.
The hood release yields no pop. It was working just 2 days ago when I bought it &
now broke. Clearly this car is female & a bitch. Definitely going to need a firm hand
in dealing with her. What a start to a new relationship.

I got under the bumper & was able to cut open enough of the cable sheath, very nice
2 layer sheathing - crappy cable ends, with my faithful pocket knife. Thank god for serrated
edge. Managed to pull on the cable to pop the hood.

I figured I better add a secondary hood release option. Made one out of a coat hanger wire.
Now I can reach under the bumper & release the hood. Going to take awhile before I can
fix the cable with a bicycle cable. So if you don't have an emergency hood release option, I'd
highly recommend doing it now. Only take about 10 minutes.
Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

PostSubject: Re: Emergency backup hood release   Emergency backup hood release Icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2014 6:50 pm

Good quick fix.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Emergency backup hood release   Emergency backup hood release Icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2014 10:54 pm

Good idea with an auxiliary release. Last time I had a problem with mine I took the grille off and was able to work on it through there. Not as convenient as another release, but worked.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Emergency backup hood release   Emergency backup hood release Icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2014 6:25 am

How about posting a pic of the mod?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Emergency backup hood release   Emergency backup hood release Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Emergency backup hood release
Page 1 of 1