GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Today's mystery - how to remove the key from the tailgate

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Sprocket

Sprocket

Today's mystery - how to remove the key from the tailgate Empty
PostSubject: Today's mystery - how to remove the key from the tailgate   Today's mystery - how to remove the key from the tailgate Icon_minitimeMon Feb 17, 2014 7:12 pm

So on my 94 RMW Dusty, the battery was dead and while charging, I opened the rear glass with the key.  Never had a problem before but now it won't rotate back to vertical to let the key back out!

I got the battery charged, unlocked and opened the tailgate, took the cover off and don't see anything binding it.  I don't want to pop the little nylon piece holding the rod on as I know it'll break.  It doesn't look  like the rod is binding it at all.  The key turns to about a key widths distance from vertical.   I soaked it with WD40 and the key rotates freely except where it goes to almost vertical.

FSM says to remove the lock cylinder I have to drill rivets.  I'd rather not drill them out....

any ideas.

It's definitely the lock cylinder  Mad Mad 
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Today's mystery - how to remove the key from the tailgate   Today's mystery - how to remove the key from the tailgate Icon_minitimeMon Feb 17, 2014 9:14 pm

I've had this happen, too. Keep pressure, turning, and pull at the same time. It should pop out.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Today's mystery - how to remove the key from the tailgate   Today's mystery - how to remove the key from the tailgate Icon_minitimeMon Feb 17, 2014 11:15 pm

The rivets are pop rivets, and relatively easy to replace. The latch itself may be binding where the flat actuating rod goes into it. You can remove the latch, and check the key with it out. The lock releases the gate glass, moves the lock mechanism rods.
Back to top Go down
randumnumber

PostSubject: Re: Today's mystery - how to remove the key from the tailgate   Today's mystery - how to remove the key from the tailgate Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 1:28 pm

Try wiggling the key gently while applying light pressure and moving it back into position, it is possible that if the key is not in the right position it could push a cam pin up too much and bind against the tumbler pin.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Today's mystery - how to remove the key from the tailgate   Today's mystery - how to remove the key from the tailgate Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 3:43 pm

Key was left in overnight. Wiggled and shook it like a hooter's waitress for over an hour. Hosed it down with wd40 and lthium grease from the back until it was. Dripping feom the key. Tried it on the way out this morning no change....
Back to top Go down
randumnumber

PostSubject: Re: Today's mystery - how to remove the key from the tailgate   Today's mystery - how to remove the key from the tailgate Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 5:50 pm

you had it opened from the other side... did you try turning it from the back?(so as not to put pressure on the key) If nothing is binding it then it's just stuck, you'll have to take the lock cylinder to a lock smith.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Today's mystery - how to remove the key from the tailgate   Today's mystery - how to remove the key from the tailgate Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 6:57 pm

Well I decided to lock vice grips on the key to enhance my ability to wiggle it and it came out. Not like it should but easier than I thought it would. The keyhole is still not vertical, but after reassembling everything the push button and dash release work like they should. Just won't be putting the key in there anymore.

So who wants to buy this car now that I have a door key again, lol.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Today's mystery - how to remove the key from the tailgate   Today's mystery - how to remove the key from the tailgate Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 7:16 pm

I have a whole set of keyed alike locks for a wagon. If you can't get the lock to work, Let me know. I can bring them to Daytona if you want.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Today's mystery - how to remove the key from the tailgate   Today's mystery - how to remove the key from the tailgate Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 7:57 pm

Fred, the car is FS I don't want to spend any money in it.  It's bad enough I have to put a blower motor in it so it has AC that works correctly....I may end up parting it out.

Last edited by Sprocket on Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:51 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Today's mystery - how to remove the key from the tailgate   Today's mystery - how to remove the key from the tailgate Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 8:09 pm

Didn't know it was for sale.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Today's mystery - how to remove the key from the tailgate   Today's mystery - how to remove the key from the tailgate Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Today's mystery - how to remove the key from the tailgate
Page 1 of 1