GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Looking for good instruction-Coolant Related

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
SpringerNC

SpringerNC

Looking for good instruction-Coolant Related Empty
PostSubject: Looking for good instruction-Coolant Related   Looking for good instruction-Coolant Related Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2014 12:27 pm

I feel like I have searched to forum hard....I am looking for some good instruction on how to do a flush of my coolant.
Its gross looking and I want to make it nice looking before the summer...

I have read not to use a hose pipe because I will kill the Optispark
The dangers of leaving air in the system.
I have read that those things don't matter..

Just looking for some solid instructions if anyone can help point me in the right direction.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
SpringerNC

SpringerNC

PostSubject: Re: Looking for good instruction-Coolant Related   Looking for good instruction-Coolant Related Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2014 1:38 pm

1995 LT-1
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Looking for good instruction-Coolant Related   Looking for good instruction-Coolant Related Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2014 1:58 pm

Prestonn,isnt there a flush kit mounted on the heater hose?Someone here will know the best way to do the flush.I know that the coolant overflow tank was nasty inside but it has antifreeze in it.
Back to top Go down
scoffman

scoffman

PostSubject: Re: Looking for good instruction-Coolant Related   Looking for good instruction-Coolant Related Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2014 4:05 pm

I'm not sure about an lt1 but I would assume that the procedure would be similar to this:
Drain the fluid completely from the radiator, radiator reservoir, and engine block. there should be a knock sensor and a drain plug on opposite sides of the engine block. you need to pull both sides to completely drain the block of coolant. button it back up. fill the system with water and your desired flush chemical. run for at least 30 minutes. then drain the system of fluid again. This is optional but I like to then fill with just water and run for 5 minutes to get any residue from flush chemical out of the system. If I'm feeling really CDO I will do this water flush three times before I move on to putting coolant into the system. after you've filled up the system with coolant, you may need to bleed some air out of the system.

Have fun.
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Looking for good instruction-Coolant Related   Looking for good instruction-Coolant Related Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2014 4:44 pm

The opti is waterproof. If it wasn't, it would short out every time it rained.

Unhook the return hose (top) from the radiator and put a hose in the radiator. Start the car (and heater on FULL HOT) and let it heat up. When it runs clear, you are done. turn off the water and run the engine until water stops. turn off engine. fill with pure coolant. Should end up with 50/50.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking for good instruction-Coolant Related   Looking for good instruction-Coolant Related Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Looking for good instruction-Coolant Related
Page 1 of 1