GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Low Coolant Light On But Not Low On Coolant

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Mark 96 Roady

Low Coolant Light On But Not Low On Coolant Empty
PostSubject: Low Coolant Light On But Not Low On Coolant   Low Coolant Light On But Not Low On Coolant Icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2013 6:20 pm

I was leaving my house today, and the low coolant light came on. I had been driving about 2 minutes, so I just turned around and came home. The overflow was slightly low, so I added some coolant and figured that would solve the problem. However, the light will not go off. I don't want to drive the car until I can figure out what is going on, but it is weird. I let it run for 10 minutes in the driveway while I watched, and nothing is leaking. Both the upper and lower hoses are warm, and the car sounds fine. I can't check the temp. gauge because of course the connection fell off the block yesterday, and now it is raining, so I can't crawl under the car to re connect it. Any thoughts? The only other problem is the that the service engine soon light comes on occasionally, then goes out a few hours later. Thanks for any help/ideas, Mark.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Low Coolant Light On But Not Low On Coolant   Low Coolant Light On But Not Low On Coolant Icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2013 8:35 pm

On the wagon, I assume?

Pull the codes from the climate control head and see what your intermittent CEL is first.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Low Coolant Light On But Not Low On Coolant   Low Coolant Light On But Not Low On Coolant Icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2013 9:12 pm

The coolant light issue is ultra-common on LT1 cars. The solution is simple, fill it up, then, with the car running, hit the coolant reservoir HARD with the side of your fist. You will hurt yourself before you hurt the car. Light will go out.
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: Low Coolant Light On But Not Low On Coolant   Low Coolant Light On But Not Low On Coolant Icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2013 10:33 pm

Jay, you crazy bastard, it worked! I'm sure my neighbors would have been amused had they seen me hitting my car while wearing a heavy leather glove. But, the question remains-did the light just come on because the coolant was just a little low, or did it just come on for some other reason? Jay, seriously, thank you. My wife has plans with her mother tomorrow, and having her car out of commission would have been a pain for all parties involved.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Low Coolant Light On But Not Low On Coolant   Low Coolant Light On But Not Low On Coolant Icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2013 10:49 pm

Light came on because the coolant was low, then the sensor stuck in the low position.

It's not everyday that you get to fix your car by hitting it. Enjoy the "Fonzie"

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Low Coolant Light On But Not Low On Coolant   Low Coolant Light On But Not Low On Coolant Icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2013 12:17 am

Hahahaha. Best reply ever.

Now go check out that CEL anyway, Mark. :p
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Low Coolant Light On But Not Low On Coolant   Low Coolant Light On But Not Low On Coolant Icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2013 9:55 am

Stingroo wrote:
Hahahaha. Best reply ever.

Now go check out that CEL anyway, Mark. :p
He might not be able to on a 96. Both 96's I have owned will not display the codes for the PCM in the CC. Must be something with OBD II.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Low Coolant Light On But Not Low On Coolant   Low Coolant Light On But Not Low On Coolant Icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2013 10:07 am

Well at least with OBDII anybody at VatoZone should be able to scan it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Low Coolant Light On But Not Low On Coolant   Low Coolant Light On But Not Low On Coolant Icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2013 12:04 pm

jayoldschool wrote:
Light came on because the coolant was low, then the sensor stuck in the low position.

It's not everyday that you get to fix your car by hitting it.  Enjoy the "Fonzie"

Hard to believe this guy is a old slightly chubby gray haired fellow selling senior citizen insurance.Where do the years go,Fonzie?
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: Low Coolant Light On But Not Low On Coolant   Low Coolant Light On But Not Low On Coolant Icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2013 1:14 pm

Happens to all of us, my friend. Last night I was cleaning my basement, and found my (first) wedding pictures, dating from 1990. I was thinner, had more hair, and I swear, taller. Oh well, as my 89 year old dad says, "it beats the alternative".
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Low Coolant Light On But Not Low On Coolant   Low Coolant Light On But Not Low On Coolant Icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2013 1:31 pm

If you've got a 96, and an Android phone, download the Torque App, and pick up a bluetooth dongle off ebay. Works perfectly. Real time data, data logging, gauges, DTCs, reset, everything.

Back to top Go down
Dutch Pete

Dutch Pete

PostSubject: Re: Low Coolant Light On But Not Low On Coolant   Low Coolant Light On But Not Low On Coolant Icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2013 1:41 pm

Darn, also usable on OBD 1's?
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Low Coolant Light On But Not Low On Coolant   Low Coolant Light On But Not Low On Coolant Icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2013 3:10 pm

No. Datamaster/cable/laptop.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Low Coolant Light On But Not Low On Coolant   Low Coolant Light On But Not Low On Coolant Icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2013 8:58 pm

HAHA!!   jay said dongle!!

wait,. what!???
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Low Coolant Light On But Not Low On Coolant   Low Coolant Light On But Not Low On Coolant Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Low Coolant Light On But Not Low On Coolant
Page 1 of 1