GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Got Stupid and Bought an Old police Car, 71 Catalina Freeway Enforcer

Go down 
+5
jayoldschool
81X11
lakeffect
bamalongroof
cammerjeff
9 posters
AuthorMessage
cammerjeff

cammerjeff

Got Stupid and Bought an Old police Car, 71 Catalina Freeway Enforcer Empty
PostSubject: Got Stupid and Bought an Old police Car, 71 Catalina Freeway Enforcer   Got Stupid and Bought an Old police Car, 71 Catalina Freeway Enforcer Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2014 11:36 pm

Well Like I did not already have enough cars, I just can't seem to resist Odd Performance Pontiac's. And the chances of finding another 37,000 mile 455 4bbl enforcer I think are pretty slim. Bought it off E-bay 3 months ago for $5300.00 running car that has been in storage sense 1982! It was the Police Chiefs car in Chambersburg PA. So it has seen some winters, but has minimal rust for a northern car. Been working on it slowly to bring it back to road worthiness. List of thing I have done.

1 - New Belts, Hoses, Coolant, Oil & Filter.
2 - New Exhaust system, The car originally had 1970 style Ram Air III Exhaust Manifolds, a prior owner had replaced them with 1972 Standard Log Manifolds. So I ordered a set of Repo's from Ram Air Restorations, along with a new 2.5" system with an X-pipe.
3 - Rebuilt the carb due to the accelerator pump squirting gas up into the Air Cleaner Assembly. And found scary brown metallic Build up in the float bowl. Caused me to drop the Fuel Tank.
4 - Dropped the fuel tank, and found that part of the Police package is a Baffled Fuel Tank, and found the tank must have had 3 inches of water sitting in it for many years. and the baffled fuel tank makes it impossible to clean out in my shop. So it is at a local shop getting boiled out and Coated.
5 - Did get the Fuel Sender Rebuilt

Things to do

1 - Replace all the Old flexible Fuel Hoses, and Blow out the Main Fuel Line.
2 - Remount the Fuel Tank when it gets back.
3 - Replace the master cylinder, and brake booster, and replace all brake Fluid, and Bleed The brakes
4 - Repair the small things, Clock, rear window defogger, Electric Trunk Release
5 - Add a sound system (have to have tunes to cruise)
6 - Remount the rear seat divider.

Lots of things to do, so little time.

The PHS Shows the Car to be an All Cameo White, Freeway Enforcer, with the 455 4bbl High performance engine (that means the regular D-port Heads, Ram Air III exhaust manifolds, Duel Exhaust, Dual Snorkel Air Cleaner, and has the 455 HO Carb. Some debate on what cam shaft it has, and if or it is a 4 Bolt main Block, I won't know for sure unless I tear it down, and I have no plans to do so at the Moment. It also has a HD Frame (Boxed Convertible Frame) HD front, and XHD rear Suspension, 3.23 open 8 7/8" axle, Certified Speedo, Roof Wiring Harness, in dash Clock, remote trunk release, rear window defogger, and HD front and rear seats. Oddly enough it also had Delux wheel covers, Carpeting, and Custom Cushion Steering Wheel.
The Vinyl Top was added by a previous owner, and the large 1 1/8" front, and 7/8" rear sway bars were also removed.
The Local PA newspaper was able to find a distant picture of the car Parked in the Police Chiefs Parking Spot.

The more I work on it the more I like it! Never saw myself in a 71-76 4-door B-Body.

Got Stupid and Bought an Old police Car, 71 Catalina Freeway Enforcer 71CatLtFront_zps68f4e2b0
Got Stupid and Bought an Old police Car, 71 Catalina Freeway Enforcer 71CatEngineCompartment_zps4f1ab05a
Got Stupid and Bought an Old police Car, 71 Catalina Freeway Enforcer 71CatCertifiedSpeedo_zpsdee7a66a
Got Stupid and Bought an Old police Car, 71 Catalina Freeway Enforcer 71CatManifolds_zpsfd28b375
Got Stupid and Bought an Old police Car, 71 Catalina Freeway Enforcer 71CatalinaEnforcerVintagePic10-20-71_zps3523e620
Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

PostSubject: Re: Got Stupid and Bought an Old police Car, 71 Catalina Freeway Enforcer   Got Stupid and Bought an Old police Car, 71 Catalina Freeway Enforcer Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2014 11:54 pm

Cool car...
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Got Stupid and Bought an Old police Car, 71 Catalina Freeway Enforcer   Got Stupid and Bought an Old police Car, 71 Catalina Freeway Enforcer Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2014 8:51 am

Now THAT is a beast!

DAve
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Got Stupid and Bought an Old police Car, 71 Catalina Freeway Enforcer   Got Stupid and Bought an Old police Car, 71 Catalina Freeway Enforcer Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2014 10:45 am

I love oddballs! Very cool! Can't wait to see it restored!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Got Stupid and Bought an Old police Car, 71 Catalina Freeway Enforcer   Got Stupid and Bought an Old police Car, 71 Catalina Freeway Enforcer Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2014 1:42 pm

Talk about a cheap police department,all that pursuit parts and no AC.Guess they didnt need it back then,cool car by the way.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Got Stupid and Bought an Old police Car, 71 Catalina Freeway Enforcer   Got Stupid and Bought an Old police Car, 71 Catalina Freeway Enforcer Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2014 2:29 pm

Very very cool. No idea that this even existed. Here's my 71 back in the day. Still have it, it looks different now.

Got Stupid and Bought an Old police Car, 71 Catalina Freeway Enforcer HPIM1999
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Got Stupid and Bought an Old police Car, 71 Catalina Freeway Enforcer   Got Stupid and Bought an Old police Car, 71 Catalina Freeway Enforcer Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2014 3:00 pm

Theres something about all 4 door GM cars without the post that makes them much better looking than any of those with one!
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: Got Stupid and Bought an Old police Car, 71 Catalina Freeway Enforcer   Got Stupid and Bought an Old police Car, 71 Catalina Freeway Enforcer Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2014 4:24 pm

Love it
Back to top Go down
cammerjeff

cammerjeff

PostSubject: Re: Got Stupid and Bought an Old police Car, 71 Catalina Freeway Enforcer   Got Stupid and Bought an Old police Car, 71 Catalina Freeway Enforcer Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2014 7:18 pm

Thanks for the Kind Words, and I do agree that the 4-door HT's are better looking, but the Mechanic in me avoids them due to Chassis Flex, and Rust Belt Sagging issues. I have worked on Several 4-door HT's with over 100,000 miles and rust pervasion that not all the doors would open or close due to the Body sagging on the frame.

Here are a couple more pic's Showing the Ticket writing Desk, and the rear seat divider that came with it. The interior is in remarkable shape, just 1 tear in the lower back seat cushion that looks like it was caused by someone sitting down with something in there back pocket, and the drivers side front, and the passenger side rear carpeting worn, the Catalina Dash emblem is Cracked, and the rear package tray is discolored, and pulled down were the axillary brake lights were mounted.

Got Stupid and Bought an Old police Car, 71 Catalina Freeway Enforcer 71InteriorFront_zps681cbae4
Got Stupid and Bought an Old police Car, 71 Catalina Freeway Enforcer 71enforcerBarrier_zps2af0102b
Got Stupid and Bought an Old police Car, 71 Catalina Freeway Enforcer Rearpackagetray_zps8ef3ebe9
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Got Stupid and Bought an Old police Car, 71 Catalina Freeway Enforcer   Got Stupid and Bought an Old police Car, 71 Catalina Freeway Enforcer Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2014 9:03 pm

Oooo rear defrost!
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Got Stupid and Bought an Old police Car, 71 Catalina Freeway Enforcer   Got Stupid and Bought an Old police Car, 71 Catalina Freeway Enforcer Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2014 9:17 pm

How interesting,...
Back to top Go down
Dutch Pete

Dutch Pete

PostSubject: Re: Got Stupid and Bought an Old police Car, 71 Catalina Freeway Enforcer   Got Stupid and Bought an Old police Car, 71 Catalina Freeway Enforcer Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2014 1:58 am

Nice car
Pete
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Got Stupid and Bought an Old police Car, 71 Catalina Freeway Enforcer   Got Stupid and Bought an Old police Car, 71 Catalina Freeway Enforcer Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2014 12:59 pm

BTW, I have the stock hubcaps if you ever need spares, and I have the original AM radio if you want to go stock.
Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

PostSubject: Re: Got Stupid and Bought an Old police Car, 71 Catalina Freeway Enforcer   Got Stupid and Bought an Old police Car, 71 Catalina Freeway Enforcer Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2015 10:27 pm

Any updates on this car? I love it, very unique.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Got Stupid and Bought an Old police Car, 71 Catalina Freeway Enforcer   Got Stupid and Bought an Old police Car, 71 Catalina Freeway Enforcer Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Got Stupid and Bought an Old police Car, 71 Catalina Freeway Enforcer
Page 1 of 1