GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Steering column parts interchange

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
MalibuSSwagon

Steering column parts interchange Empty
PostSubject: Steering column parts interchange   Steering column parts interchange Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2014 3:50 pm

So, since I am stalled on my 4 speed project until the new gearset gets here, I'm turning my attention to other parts. Steering column for one. I would like to build a manual trans column to fit the Olds, I would like to have the factory key interlock like a manual trans car or truck would have.

I was looking at Steering Column Services, they carry this lower bowl http://www.steeringcolumnservices.com/gm-buick-cadillac-chevrolet-oldsmobile-pontiac/bowl06-26010647-shift-bowl-with-tilt.php Says it fits 82-92 Camaro and 91-96 Caprice. So would that mean 3rd gen Camaro parts are interchangeable, as far the lower bowl is concerned? But they also list 2 different bowls for 3rd gens, so it's sorta confusing.

Is there a database or manual out there listing interchanges for saginaw columns? I feel this is possible, just need the right parts. I have rebuilt a few columns in the past.
Back to top Go down
JaySS
Admin
JaySS

PostSubject: Re: Steering column parts interchange   Steering column parts interchange Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2014 5:33 pm

It's not quite so simple. The issue is that the bowl linked is most likely for the '96 Impala column only.

The SS column has no shift selector and relies on a secondary cable from the floor shifter to the column to enable the key interlock.

With your current column you would need a shift bowl more like this:

http://www.steeringcolumnservices.com/gm-buick-cadillac-chevrolet-oldsmobile-pontiac/bowl51-7836067-lower-bowl-with-floor-shift-and-automatic.php

More commonly referred to as the Monte Carlo bowl, the floor shifter still makes use of the column linkage to rotate the shift bowl, enabling the key interlock and integral switches (starter interlock, reverse lights, hatch release, etc.).

This would also be pretty much how the 2nd gen F-bodies did it to prevent key removal unless the manual transmission shifter was in reverse.

Another solution would be to lock the column in the "Park" position and use a 4th gen key switch with the integral button that must be pushed before the key can be returned to the lock position.

- J

Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

PostSubject: Re: Steering column parts interchange   Steering column parts interchange Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2014 12:38 pm

Any particular reason the Monte Carlo g-body bowl works, besides key interlock/neutral safety function? I have several columns to choose parts from, 2nd gen camaro, two Monte Carlo floor shift columns, and a 4th gen Camaro manual column. I am building this for a manual trans application. Mostly want to delete the stub for the column shifter and add a interlock tab if possible.

I might be able to link the reverse rod to the column for interlock features to work like the 2nd gen camaro. Thats a remote possibly, would be neat.
Back to top Go down
JaySS
Admin
JaySS

PostSubject: Re: Steering column parts interchange   Steering column parts interchange Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2014 2:33 pm

MalibuSSwagon wrote:
Any particular reason the Monte Carlo g-body bowl works, besides key interlock/neutral safety function?

There are basically 2 types of the tilt columns, those intended to enable the automatic column shifted arrangement and those that don't. The G-body bowl works because it retains all of the features needed to properly support the internal shafting arrangement of the column shift sleeve, without the column shifter boss.

If you wish to keep the OCC column, then the choices are to remove the column shifter boss and fill the hole, or use the G-body bowl to replace your current bowl. Are there other bowls that might work? Sure, a 2nd Gen column would be a good place to start, but it is known that the G-body / Monte Carlo bowl is nearly a direct replacement for the factory piece.

MalibuSSwagon wrote:
I have several columns to choose parts from, 2nd gen Camaro, two Monte Carlo floor shift columns, and a 4th gen Camaro manual column. I am building this for a manual trans application. Mostly want to delete the stub for the column shifter and add a interlock tab if possible.

The interlock tab used on the manual transmission 3rd Gens wouldn’t be needed with a column shifter, so again that bowl type is intended to be used with the floor shift type columns:

http://www.steeringcolumnservices.com/gm-buick-cadillac-chevrolet-oldsmobile-pontiac/bowl54-1984-1993-lower-shroud-with-manual-trans.php

This is why the 4th gen switch was suggested:

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=380367&ukey_make=1024&ukey_model=14491&modelYear=2000&ukey_category=19404&ukey_trimLevel=15623

PN 26033387 / ACD D1453C will fit in place of the existing lock cylinder, but moves the interlock onto the cylinder itself. If you don’t have VATS, then the electrical leads won’t be connected to anything.

Better pics here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ignition-Lock-Cylinder-WELLS-LS684C-/300860922736?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item460cb55b70&vxp=mtr

MalibuSSwagon wrote:
I might be able to link the reverse rod to the column for interlock features to work like the 2nd gen Camaro. That’s a remote possibly, would be neat.

Could do, but since A833’s already have a dedicated reverse light switch, it seems like a lot of potential hassle for minimal gain over the 4th Gen cylinder.

- J

Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

PostSubject: Re: Steering column parts interchange   Steering column parts interchange Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 3:10 pm

Jay,

Thanks for answering my questions, now I understand what will interchange and why. I believe the 2nd gen column I have is an auto column, it's pretty much a junk parts unit so I may tear it down and see if the bowl is the same.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steering column parts interchange   Steering column parts interchange Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Steering column parts interchange
Page 1 of 1