GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

L05 Issue Speculation

Go down 
+7
Dutch Pete
phantom 309
jayoldschool
convert2diesel
Fred Kiehl
silverfox103
Olds Weighty Eight
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

L05 Issue Speculation - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: L05 Issue Speculation   L05 Issue Speculation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2014 8:25 pm

Status update: The alternator bracket bolt that I cut off to remove from the cylinder head was no match for an EZ out. So EZ in fact, that I just turned it out with my fingers.

The broken head bolt, on the other hand, continued to show it's ass. I drilled it for a medium-sized EZ out and it got a good bite. Trying to be firm but not overbearing didn't work as the EZ out snapped off anyway. Rolling Eyes Doh! Luckily I was able to fish the broken piece out of the bolt.

I then drilled a larger hole to accept the next size EZ out. That one got a good bite too and I gave it a go but the damn bolt wouldn't budge. Suspect So, out came the drill index and I just drilled the bolt out up to the minor diameter of the threads. Since my 7/16-14 tap was not going to get the job done, I ordered a quality plug tap online as nobody had one locally. Once in hand this afternoon, I was able to restore the bolt hole in the block to its former self.
So, it's on! cheers Now I'll get everything cleaned up real good, replace all the valve seals and valve springs and bolt it all back together. The OCC will ride again.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lakelandraceway.com/friends_garage
phantom 309

phantom 309

L05 Issue Speculation - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: L05 Issue Speculation   L05 Issue Speculation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2014 9:50 pm

kudo's for your patience,...
Back to top Go down

L05 Issue Speculation
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2