GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

96 RMW Coolant Leak

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
j2rossit

j2rossit

96 RMW Coolant Leak Empty
PostSubject: 96 RMW Coolant Leak   96 RMW Coolant Leak Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 8:58 am

Hi all,
So I just picked up a 96 Roadmaster yesterday. It's been sitting for several years but runs great. The only problem that has come up is the hose that runs from the coolant reservoir to a T connection that splices into the heater core line leaks at pressure.
It looks like the T connection is integrated into that hose. Is there anybody that makes these assemblies anymore or is there a way of reusing the T connector and just replace the hose?
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: 96 RMW Coolant Leak   96 RMW Coolant Leak Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 10:12 am

The Tee is more than likely cracked, happens to all of them. I don't think you can buy the whole assembly, you can buy the Tee from the dealer or make a brass one. Using a dremel you can cut the clamps off and reuse the hose.
Back to top Go down
j2rossit

j2rossit

PostSubject: Re: 96 RMW Coolant Leak   96 RMW Coolant Leak Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 11:04 am

I'll look into getting the tee from the dealer because I don't doubt that it should be replaced. There is no coolant leaking down from the tee so I doubt it currently is broken, but I'd rather not have to worry about it down the road.
Back to top Go down
j2rossit

j2rossit

PostSubject: Re: 96 RMW Coolant Leak   96 RMW Coolant Leak Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 1:04 pm

I went to the dealership and was able to get a kit that contained the tee, the hose for the resevoir as well as the two hoses that connect to the waterpump. Now I just have to decided if I want to go whole hog and do the waterpump and optispark and other hoses as well. I plan on keeping the car for a very long time and it would be nice to have a spare working optispark on the shelf.
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: 96 RMW Coolant Leak   96 RMW Coolant Leak Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2014 11:39 pm

Mine cracked last year, and I bought the entire replacement hose from the dealer for about $120.00 or so. The replacement is actually 2 hoses, including the tee, and takes about 10 minutes to install. I opted for the entire hose instead of a repair kit because mine had disintegrated and I was worried some of the old hose would migrate into the radiator or heater core, get stuck and cause some serious headaches. I flushed the system, and replaced the upper and lower rad hoses at the same time, along with the serpentine belt. As for the opti, unless the water pump is leaking, according to many posts here, leave the opti spark alone. I got a spare tee, by the way, in a junk yard, and keep it in the hidden compartment under the rear most seat, just in case.
Back to top Go down
j2rossit

j2rossit

PostSubject: Re: 96 RMW Coolant Leak   96 RMW Coolant Leak Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2014 6:08 pm

Yeah, by kit, I'm meant the hose assembly that contained all you mentioned. The reason I'm interested in doing the opti is that this wagon is my daily driver and I've got no knowledge of how many of the 190k miles are on the current opti. My plan for this car is instead of buying a newer car for tons of money, I'd rather buy this car for $1.5k and spend the balance of the money on what it would take to get it in as reliable a condition as possible. Sure I'd be risking the insurance coverage but I'd rather drive a car I like.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 96 RMW Coolant Leak   96 RMW Coolant Leak Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

96 RMW Coolant Leak
Page 1 of 1