GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

COOLANT LEAK

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
rhino

rhino

COOLANT LEAK   Empty
PostSubject: COOLANT LEAK    COOLANT LEAK   Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2014 12:28 am

Just noticed I have a coolant leak coming from the drivers side of the radiator.  Its leaking coolant at the hard line just below the upper rad. hose.  It looks to be coming from between the plastic of the radiator tank and the metal hex shaped fitting the hard line threads into.

Last edited by rhino on Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:56 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : updating)
Back to top Go down
Dutch Pete

Dutch Pete

COOLANT LEAK   Empty
PostSubject: Re: COOLANT LEAK    COOLANT LEAK   Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2014 3:23 am

The hard line on the drivers side must be the oil cooler line. (LT1 car) In the manual, the hard line sits above the radiator hose. (so, i'm a bit confused here) Sounds to me as a crack in the radiator side. Does the leak gets any worse with the engine running (i.e. when the system is under pressure?) If it is really a crack in the side, there must be a spray of coolant coming out when the system builds up pressure. Is your engine coolant reservoir still at the right level?
Back to top Go down
rhino

rhino

COOLANT LEAK   Empty
PostSubject: Re: COOLANT LEAK    COOLANT LEAK   Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2014 7:04 pm

Here is a pic of the area I am talking about. Can this be fixed or does the radiator need to be replaced because its plastic? [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

COOLANT LEAK   Empty
PostSubject: Re: COOLANT LEAK    COOLANT LEAK   Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2014 11:42 pm

tighten the nut up a little,. don't crack the res,.
Back to top Go down
Dutch Pete

Dutch Pete

COOLANT LEAK   Empty
PostSubject: Re: COOLANT LEAK    COOLANT LEAK   Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2014 12:53 pm

+1
try that first
Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

COOLANT LEAK   Empty
PostSubject: Re: COOLANT LEAK    COOLANT LEAK   Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2014 1:05 pm

Yup, had the same issue on my C10. Leaking from the oil cooler nut, tightened it up and it has subsided.
Back to top Go down

COOLANT LEAK   Empty
PostSubject: Re: COOLANT LEAK    COOLANT LEAK   Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2014 3:20 pm

Always check your nuts first.

Heh.
Back to top Go down
rhino

rhino

COOLANT LEAK   Empty
PostSubject: Re: COOLANT LEAK    COOLANT LEAK   Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2014 7:01 pm

Put about half a turn on the nut and after further inspection there is a very small crack/hole in the tank. Woohoo!!
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

COOLANT LEAK   Empty
PostSubject: Re: COOLANT LEAK    COOLANT LEAK   Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2014 8:52 pm

small crack holes are fun to fill,...er..

jb weld is your friend,.

drain the rad clean the crack with brake kleen,.
gob it up,.

Nick
Back to top Go down
lamune

lamune

COOLANT LEAK   Empty
PostSubject: Re: COOLANT LEAK    COOLANT LEAK   Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2014 11:44 pm

When I fixed the various problems with my cooling system and got it to pressurize properly, I got a leak in that same exact spot. The plastic tank was very obviously split right at that point, and there were signs of other cracks forming, so I got a new radiator. Also in my case, since the cooling system was so badly neglected, I wasn't very confident that anything in the system was any good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

COOLANT LEAK   Empty
PostSubject: Re: COOLANT LEAK    COOLANT LEAK   Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

COOLANT LEAK
Page 1 of 1