GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Question on body damage on potential purchase

Go down 
+5
Mark 96 Roady
Fred Kiehl
Wagoninabox
Krzdimond
autoarcheologist
9 posters
AuthorMessage
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

Question on body damage on potential purchase Empty
PostSubject: Question on body damage on potential purchase   Question on body damage on potential purchase Icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2014 7:34 pm

Hey gang,

I'm thinking of looking at this Roadmaster that's local to me.  It's just far enough away to make it a pain, and there is a mileage disrepancy in the Autocheck that I'm trying to sort out.

But the biggest concern is the body damage that I just learned about when the seller sent a few new photos.  Love it when they hide stuff from you that you're going to learn eventually.

Can anybody tell me if this is serious?  Looks like a possible bumper replacement, some chome trim and maybe a little bodywork.  I'm putting this in the "not a big deal" category.

Question on body damage on potential purchase Dscn3012

Question on body damage on potential purchase Dscn3013

Thanks,
Ian
Back to top Go down
http://www.jewelorjalopy.com
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Question on body damage on potential purchase   Question on body damage on potential purchase Icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2014 7:58 pm

I concur. NBD. Replace the trim and buff out the black marks. 30 min MAX to repair.

Paint code is WA9753. Common color, go to your local parts store and get a spray can of touchup.
Back to top Go down
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

PostSubject: Re: Question on body damage on potential purchase   Question on body damage on potential purchase Icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2014 11:28 pm

Bumper cover repaintable. Corner piece available from Fred most likely. Longer trim piece shows up on eBay from time to time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question on body damage on potential purchase   Question on body damage on potential purchase Icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2014 11:56 pm

Ian,the body repair is easy but you need to get under it and do a good inspection for any hidden rust which is never an easy fix and can quickly destroy the wagons value!
Back to top Go down
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

PostSubject: Thoughts on this 1995 RMW?   Question on body damage on potential purchase Icon_minitimeSat Aug 30, 2014 2:02 am

I'm looking for an LT-1 towpack RMW to replace our Tahoe for towing and touring duties, and found this one locally.

http://salem.craigslist.org/cto/4636210246.html

It looks decent, has a dent in the lower passenger rear quarter, but overall looks OK. Typical side moldings missing, but interior looks pretty clean except for the steering wheel, and it's a towpack car with no hitch. So it's ready to tow, but hasn't spent it's life towing.

Yes I know finding hitches is impossible, but they can be made.

Here are more photos he sent.

https://plus.google.com/photos/111032382197666459315/albums/6053218921851318705?authkey=CMrSspv1qq2dvAE

He's asking $2k.

One thing that has me a little worried is that there are two small accidents on the Autocheck report, neither big enough in 2004 to total it. The other is that in 2002 it showed 125k miles according to Autocheck, then 70k in 2005 during an Oregon smog check, then 139k in 2007 during a dealer service.

If the 70k isn't a mistake, it looks like someone might have rolled 100k off it. So it might have around 264k miles on it.

If it is a mistake, it currently has 164k miles on it.

I'm willing to spend a little time and money on stuff like a new water and fuel pump, new shocks, wheels/tires etc. to make it a reliable family car.

They don't pop up that often around Portland with the tow pack, so I'm wondering if it's better to buy this and work on it, or wait.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Ian
Back to top Go down
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

PostSubject: Re: Question on body damage on potential purchase   Question on body damage on potential purchase Icon_minitimeSat Aug 30, 2014 2:06 am

Thanks Jim, I'll look for rust but luckily out here in the PNW stuff really doesn't rust much since we don't salt the roads. I grew up in Michigan and it's a welcome change.

I added more details and photos in this thread, I'd love to get your expert opinions on whether it's worth a chance, or too much risk.

https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t10665-thoughts-on-this-1995-rmw#112528

Thanks,
Ian
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Question on body damage on potential purchase   Question on body damage on potential purchase Icon_minitimeSat Aug 30, 2014 9:05 am

You could get a paintless dent removal guy to fix the dent at the point on the panel, as well as any other dents for under $100. The cover can be repaired and repainted for another $100. I have an acceptable corner and side trim, and you will need the two clips for the back of the trim (red), and maybe a couple more when you remove it, depending on how careful you are. I have a bag of clips.

The trim unscrews, is pushed down, and the bottom pulled out, to spring the clips. The corner has two fasteners with four pins and maybe a screw or two behind the rubber holding it to the car. Take the tail light off to access the back of the trim.
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: Question on body damage on potential purchase   Question on body damage on potential purchase Icon_minitimeSat Aug 30, 2014 9:19 am

To me that doesn't look like a 264,000 car. The driver seat, carpet, and door panel look too nice. At around $2000, if it isn't rusty, and runs good, I'd say go for it. The only problem may be if you want to sell it in the future, the next buyer is going to see the same mileage info you are now seeing, so you may have a hard time selling it. Or, since it is so old, maybe not. Unless it is a wagon with under 80,000 miles and perfect, they really don't have that great of value anyway.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Question on body damage on potential purchase   Question on body damage on potential purchase Icon_minitimeSat Aug 30, 2014 9:33 am

Two threads for the same car here,...why?

when it comes to buying a car,......asking repeatedly on the internet for other folks opinion is just really trolling for answers similar/echoing your own idea,.

so,..

Do what you want,. you're gonna anyway,.

If you are content with the car,. who cares what others think,.

different answers will come from different regions of the country,..
you are buying in a westcoast market,.with limited opportunity's

People have traveled from one side of the country to the other,. from north to south etc to buy the car combo/color etc they really want at the price they want to pay,.

I hope you get what you are searching for at the price that leaves you content with the deal,..
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Question on body damage on potential purchase   Question on body damage on potential purchase Icon_minitimeSat Aug 30, 2014 9:59 am

Threads merged.

I agree that it doesn't "look" like a 250+K mile car. If it has what you want and you'll be happy with it, go for it. The damage you mention is more or less cosmetic, long as it's not rusty, the rest can be fixed.
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Question on body damage on potential purchase   Question on body damage on potential purchase Icon_minitimeSat Aug 30, 2014 10:55 am

These cars are 20 years old, there's not many of them that haven't been in an accident. If it was repaired well, it wouldn't bother me.

Tom
Back to top Go down
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

PostSubject: Re: Question on body damage on potential purchase   Question on body damage on potential purchase Icon_minitimeSat Aug 30, 2014 12:18 pm

Apologies for the two threads, originally I just wanted info on the dent, but once I dug into it deeper I decided I wanted a few opinions on it's condition.

Trust me, I'm not the type to ask "what type of wheels should I get". And I can usually decide quickly if a car is worth buying or not. But in the month I've been looking so far only a few have popped up, and this one checks the right boxes except for the potential mileage issues.

What I really wanted to hear was if it looked like 265k or 165k miles. Other than the small tear in the seat (which our Tahoe is about to have as well at 148k miles) it looks decent.

Thanks for the input, if it's still here after the weekend I'll update on an in-person viewing.
Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

PostSubject: Re: Question on body damage on potential purchase   Question on body damage on potential purchase Icon_minitimeSat Aug 30, 2014 2:07 pm

I purchased my 94 with 163K for a little more with the service history and no rust. It need some love like this car.... But my steering wheel didn't have nearly as much wear. Also when I removed the mouldings I discovered it had repairs on the passenger door and tailgate.

If your budget allows for a $3000 to $4000 car I would wait and look more in Portland, Seattle  and San Francisco. If the car in Salem is in your budget... then take it for a drive and see what it needs now.. The owner seems like they are open to an offer try to pick it up for less you may end up spending money on needed maintenance after purchase. Jeff
Back to top Go down
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

PostSubject: Re: Question on body damage on potential purchase   Question on body damage on potential purchase Icon_minitimeSat Aug 30, 2014 2:15 pm

Oh I know it will need more maintenance, I'm mostly concerned that it won't need a transmission soon.

Unfortunately I am dealing with a friendselling the car for his friend so not getting a ton of answers. If I have time after the weekend I will probably drive down to drive it, the only way to really know its condition.

I wish I had seen the one in Seattle that's now selling for $7k before the dealer bought it.
Back to top Go down
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

PostSubject: Re: Question on body damage on potential purchase   Question on body damage on potential purchase Icon_minitimeSat Aug 30, 2014 3:51 pm

Autoarcheologist.....my 96 was from Oregon spending almost all if it's life in the Portland area and I found plenty of hidden rust.  These rust inside out up here due to unsealed leaks.  Por 15 is my new best friend.
Back to top Go down
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

PostSubject: Re: Question on body damage on potential purchase   Question on body damage on potential purchase Icon_minitimeSat Aug 30, 2014 5:11 pm

Ugh, don't tell me that. Maybe I'll find one in eastern Oregon. I picked up a 73 Jeep Wagoneer in eastern Oregon that was remarkably rust free, leaks and all.

But seriously thanks for the tip, I will rRead up on where to look for rust. I have seen a few with rust in the D pillar.
Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

PostSubject: Re: Question on body damage on potential purchase   Question on body damage on potential purchase Icon_minitimeSat Aug 30, 2014 9:03 pm

If not you should be using Search Tempest for your quest. Good luck. Jeff
Back to top Go down
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

PostSubject: Re: Question on body damage on potential purchase   Question on body damage on potential purchase Icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2014 12:21 pm

I love Search Tempest, I've even chatted with the owner a few times about working together.  Great site!

Found a nice one in Cupertino, CA, a bit overpriced, but has a new transmission.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Question on body damage on potential purchase   Question on body damage on potential purchase Icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2014 9:05 pm

autoarcheologist wrote:
I love Search Tempest, I've even chatted with the owner a few times about working together.  Great site!

Found a nice one in Cupertino, CA, a bit overpriced, but has a new transmission.

buy the SS wheels to go with it,.
Back to top Go down
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

PostSubject: Re: Question on body damage on potential purchase   Question on body damage on potential purchase Icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2014 11:05 pm

I saw those, $250 looks like a great price.  I haven't heard back from the seller of the wagon yet, so the wheels will likely be gone soon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question on body damage on potential purchase   Question on body damage on potential purchase Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Question on body damage on potential purchase
Page 1 of 1