GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Bailey LTCC coil on plug conversion.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
YachtDriver

YachtDriver

Bailey LTCC coil on plug conversion. Empty
PostSubject: Bailey LTCC coil on plug conversion.   Bailey LTCC coil on plug conversion. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2014 12:21 pm

Earlier this summer the original Stock Optispark failed in the SS Wagon about a month and a half before Wagonfest NY and I decided to upgrade the ignition system.

I went with the Bailey LTCC conversion for several reasons. You do keep the Optispark but you only use the Optical portion and you are bypassing the cap and rotor which is what failed on me. I also didn't want to tackle the replacement of the stock computer timing gear and wiring harness changes that come with the 24X conversion. I may still consider this in the future maybe for another project yet to be named but the LTCC is a very nice product and so far I am happy with it.

The original plan was to have this work completed before Wagonfest NY but as these things go I ordered my LTCC box in between batches and it was delayed over a month.

In the short term I replaced the original Optispark with a NOS one along with a new ignition module and Coil I had in my hoard. I didn't want the car down while I waited for all the parts to come in for the LTCC conversion.

With help from JaySS (Thank you Jason!) we finished the LTCC install this past weekend. This was after the module arrived and we had time to complete the work. The LS coils and bracket were installed before wagonfest NY.

Since the conversion the car starts faster (Shorter crank time) and it runs much smoother especially at highway speeds. Throttle response has also been improved. I am quite impressed with this conversion so far.

The only problem encountered so far was the #1 spark plug wire. The car has first generation Tri-Y headers and they are difficult to work with. In it's original configuration the wire was too close to the header. The plug boot ended up touching the header once it warmed up and of course it melted. Luckily we had some wire left and were able to make a new wire with a different route.

The shopping list.
1. LTCC module. Made and developed by Bailey engineering. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
   (I would suggest emailing them to see if they are in stock. Bob is very quick to respond to questions and he also certified this configuration for me.)
2. COILS The recommended coils are what I went with. I ordered them new from ebay. GM Part number 12573190.
   The auction I purchased them through is still running.   [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
3. Coil brackets and mounting bolts. There are several options.
   I went with EFI connection. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
4. 2 Factory LS Coil wire harnesses. ACDelco 357A GM Ignition Coil Wire. GM Part number 12579355. They are the same for both left and right.
   [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
5. Plug Wires. I went with Taylor 409 wires.
   We started with this set and had to cut them apart to fit. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

And now for some pictures!

The black box in the RAISS is the LTCC box. We placed the box inside the air intake so it was away from heat and vibration.

In the following photo you can see where the ignition module and coil were against the aluminum head. Now they are gone and only the wiring harness grounds are left.

Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: Bailey LTCC coil on plug conversion.   Bailey LTCC coil on plug conversion. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2014 7:45 pm

r the wires on the pass side as close as they look in picture
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
goldwolfnhn

PostSubject: Re: Bailey LTCC coil on plug conversion.   Bailey LTCC coil on plug conversion. Icon_minitimeFri Nov 01, 2019 9:42 pm

I just looked at this thread as it seems my opti might be on it's way out and found some of the links are now dead but also found an alternative to yatchdriver's set with a 24x

first for the coil brackets link it's dead the site no longer has just the bracket instead they do the bracket and coils with harness.

for the other system the 24x Torqhead has a complete plug and play system, where the most indepth part is replacing the crank hub with a new hub that works with the system and they have two different set ups, on with the coils mounted on the valve covers, and the second where they mount on top of the intake manifold. also the LTCC specifically says it won't work with truck coils, but the torqhead setup comes with truck coils, Also it comes with a brand new custom LS series ECM that is OBD2 and and plug and play, and has a new data connector included. Also with this kit, no more opti spark at all.

Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: Bailey LTCC coil on plug conversion.   Bailey LTCC coil on plug conversion. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 02, 2019 6:16 am

The LROM for July 2017 (The Viking Roadmaster) had a Bailey Box ignition system installed when I bought it. The difference in throttle response and power was like night and day between the Roadmaster and my 1996 Caprice wagon, and the Caprice is no slug.
Back to top Go down
goldwolfnhn

PostSubject: Re: Bailey LTCC coil on plug conversion.   Bailey LTCC coil on plug conversion. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 03, 2019 6:15 am

well if I go with one of these it's going on a factory original stock LT1, and sadly the only guy I would trust with doing any tuning live an hour and a half from where I currently live if there where any tuning issues with either setup.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bailey LTCC coil on plug conversion.   Bailey LTCC coil on plug conversion. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bailey LTCC coil on plug conversion.
Page 1 of 1