GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Engine stalling when idling and in gear.

Go down 
+4
lakeffect
71novaguy
Olds Weighty Eight
hunteryeager
8 posters
AuthorMessage
hunteryeager

Engine stalling when idling and in gear. Empty
PostSubject: Engine stalling when idling and in gear.   Engine stalling when idling and in gear. Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2014 4:53 pm

I recently inherited a 1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser from my grandfather. He hasn't driven the car since 2007 when his license was taken away so the car sat in his garage until last month when I removed it. When I brought it home, I immediately noticed signs of rodent habitation under the engine. The only thing after close investigation that I could tell had been damaged was a vacuum hose which I replaced. All other vacuum hoses are ok. I changed the air filter, distributor cap, rotor, wires, plugs and fuel filter. The car sounds great when in park and neutral. It also sounds great when it is in drive or reverse when the engine hasn't warmed up yet. The problem is when the car gets around the block, to temperature, and while it is in gear, if I make a complete stop at a stop sign, the car will stall. If I exit the car and walk to the rear, I can smell unburned gasoline from the tailpipe. There is no "Check Engine" light on either. I even had the OBD I tested. Clean! No codes! The car is in EXCELLENT shape inside and out with flawless blue leather interior. I have wanted one of these wagons since the day he bought this one. I'm trying not to take it to a mechanic because I am trying for this to be my project. It seems all of you are very well educated about these cars and I'm curious if any of you have had a similar situation. Any assistance provided would be amazing!!!
Back to top Go down
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

PostSubject: Re: Engine stalling when idling and in gear.   Engine stalling when idling and in gear. Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2014 5:55 pm

Welcome to the forum. Hopefully you can get the old OCC straightened out in short order.

Idle is controlled with a little stepper motor called IAC; Idle Air Controller. 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I suspect you may have an issue here either with the IAC itself or the wiring that runs it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lakelandraceway.com/friends_garage
hunteryeager

PostSubject: Re: Engine stalling when idling and in gear.   Engine stalling when idling and in gear. Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2014 6:12 pm

I forgot I replaced that too. I'll investigate the wiring next. I'll update the post if still no progress. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

PostSubject: Re: Engine stalling when idling and in gear.   Engine stalling when idling and in gear. Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2014 8:58 pm

Did you follow the reset procedure?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
hunteryeager

PostSubject: Re: Engine stalling when idling and in gear.   Engine stalling when idling and in gear. Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2014 9:11 pm

What is the reset procedure?
Back to top Go down
hunteryeager

PostSubject: Re: Engine stalling when idling and in gear.   Engine stalling when idling and in gear. Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2014 9:13 pm

Back to top Go down
71novaguy

PostSubject: Re: Engine stalling when idling and in gear.   Engine stalling when idling and in gear. Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2014 9:14 pm

Issues with the lock up convertor? Typically the trans will not let the convertor go into lock up until warm. Possible that once it goes into to lock up, it is not unlocking. This explains no codes. It stalls because there is not slip. Try kicking it into neutral before you stop when it's warm
Back to top Go down
71novaguy

PostSubject: Re: Engine stalling when idling and in gear.   Engine stalling when idling and in gear. Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2014 9:14 pm

Issues with the lock up convertor? Typically the trans will not let the convertor go into lock up until warm. Possible that once it goes into to lock up, it is not unlocking. This explains no codes. It stalls because there is not slip. Try kicking it into neutral before you stop when it's warm
Back to top Go down
hunteryeager

PostSubject: Re: Engine stalling when idling and in gear.   Engine stalling when idling and in gear. Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2014 9:29 pm

It stays running when thrown into neutral at a stop.
Back to top Go down
hunteryeager

PostSubject: Re: Engine stalling when idling and in gear.   Engine stalling when idling and in gear. Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2014 9:44 pm

But would it wait 15-30 seconds to die or would it be immediate?
Back to top Go down
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

PostSubject: Re: Engine stalling when idling and in gear.   Engine stalling when idling and in gear. Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2014 10:32 pm

hunteryeager wrote:
Click the link in my last post.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Engine stalling when idling and in gear.   Engine stalling when idling and in gear. Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 8:25 am

from the link abovee:

From inside the vehicle, remove the engine cover.
Remove the air cleaner. Disconnect the negative battery terminal from the battery.
Disconnect the electrical connector from the idle air control valve.
Using a 1 1 / 4 in. (approx. 32mm) wrench or the GM Removal tool No. J-33031, remove the idle air control valve (Model 220 and 300). Remove the two retaining screws and valve (Model 700).

CAUTION
Before installing a new idle air control valve, measure the distance that the valve extends (from the motor housing to the end of the cone); the distance should be no greater than 11/8in. (28mm). If it extends to far, damage will occur to the valve when it is installed. Push the valve pintle in slowly with finger pressure until the correct measurement is obtained.

To install:
Use a new gasket and the correct IAC replacement valve.
Install the valve and torque the thread mounted valve to 13 ft. lbs. (18 Nm) and the screw mounted valve to 28 inch lbs. (3.3 Nm). Use thread locking compound on the retaining screws before assembly.
Connect the valve and negative battery cable.
Start the engine and allow it to reach normal operating temperatures. Check for fuel leaks.
Turn the ignition ON for 5 seconds and OFF for 10 seconds to allow the IAC valve to reset.
The vehicle may have to driven a few miles before the IAC valve will return to normal.

The ECM will reset the idle speed when the vehicle is driven at 30 mph (48 kph).
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Engine stalling when idling and in gear.   Engine stalling when idling and in gear. Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 9:16 am

Quote :
From inside the vehicle, remove the engine cover.

That i would like to see video of please,..

How old is the gas in the tank,.? is the base timing wire disconnected,..
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Engine stalling when idling and in gear.   Engine stalling when idling and in gear. Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 9:26 am

Yeah that does seem stupid. Maybe they meant climb in under the hood if it's raining?
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: Engine stalling when idling and in gear.   Engine stalling when idling and in gear. Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 9:30 am

lakeffect wrote:
Yeah that does seem stupid. Maybe they meant climb in under the hood if it's raining?

It makes more sense if you note the link refers to a VAN, not a car.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Engine stalling when idling and in gear.   Engine stalling when idling and in gear. Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 9:34 am

THAT'S even more stupid! Who drives vans anymore. That is so 1970's. I had three back then.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Engine stalling when idling and in gear.   Engine stalling when idling and in gear. Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 1:00 pm

You could have a ruptured vent hose on the gas tank. It would smell like gas, and could affect the idle (like a gas cap loose). Other than that, check the ground at the thermostat...when cold, remove the stud, and clean the threads in the hole as well as the threads on the stud.
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: Engine stalling when idling and in gear.   Engine stalling when idling and in gear. Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 1:13 pm

lakeffect wrote:
THAT'S even more stupid! Who drives vans anymore. That is so 1970's. I had three back then.

Says the guy with a 93 Caprice wagon to a forum full of guys with 20 - 30 year old cars... Laughing

(PS: the Astro/Safari was mid-80's)
Back to top Go down
71novaguy

PostSubject: Re: Engine stalling when idling and in gear.   Engine stalling when idling and in gear. Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 7:54 pm

It would die when you came to a complete stop. Long as you slow roll it won't kill it. If you had a scan tool you should be able to see if it's still in lock up. Not sure if it kicks out lock up if held in 3rd.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Engine stalling when idling and in gear.   Engine stalling when idling and in gear. Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 10:36 pm

[quote="buickwagon"]
lakeffect wrote:

Says the guy with a 93 Caprice wagon to a forum full of guys with 20 - 30 year old cars... Laughing

(PS: the Astro/Safari was mid-80's)[/quote

Guilty as charged. Embarassed
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Engine stalling when idling and in gear.   Engine stalling when idling and in gear. Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 10:50 pm

Start simple you simpletons,Nick already said get rid of the ancient GAS!
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: Engine stalling when idling and in gear.   Engine stalling when idling and in gear. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2014 5:34 am

A Dodge van conversion with a giant mural, a waterbed, and a bumper sticker that reads "Ass, grass or gas; nobody rides for free" -- now THAT'S 70's!
Back to top Go down
hunteryeager

PostSubject: Re: Engine stalling when idling and in gear.   Engine stalling when idling and in gear. Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2014 10:16 am

Thanks guys! Lots of different things to check out. The gas in the tank is brand new. It was ran empty before removing tags and it being stored.
Back to top Go down
r67northern

r67northern

PostSubject: Re: Engine stalling when idling and in gear.   Engine stalling when idling and in gear. Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 9:09 pm

Hi all, let me add these to the list of potentials. My 90 suburban with the 350 TBI did this last spring.

It would idle okay when cold, then as it leaned out it would start dieing unless I kept my foot in it. There were actually two problems: first was a dead temperature sender that kept sending bad info to the computer. If you replace it, make sure you replace the wire leads and clip too. Apparently these wires are famous for going bad (at least on 30 year old cars). The second problem was the distributor which had cracks and had probably failed from all the miles.

These are great engines nonetheless, even when she was sick, she still made home.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Engine stalling when idling and in gear.   Engine stalling when idling and in gear. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Engine stalling when idling and in gear.
Page 1 of 1