GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

2-3 gear late shift, no 4th gear

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
PSchelly

PSchelly

2-3 gear late shift, no 4th gear Empty
PostSubject: 2-3 gear late shift, no 4th gear   2-3 gear late shift, no 4th gear Icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2013 9:45 pm

Dear fellow longroof fanatics,

The transmission on my '95 rmw with 180,000 miles on it (that I've owned since June) just started acting up. It shifts from 1st to 2nd fine, but then takes forEVER to shift to 3rd - I have resorted to damn near gunning it in 2nd, then letting off the accelerator, at which point it'll shift into 3rd. And I have no 4th gear at all that I can tell. This all started happening last Friday, out of the blue. She was running like a top up until then.

I took it in to & got the transmission fluid sucked out & replaced (I know, I know - some people will tell me that's insane, that it will only bring more issues, but that wasn't the case). The fluid they sucked out was black as coal - and there was only 2 quarts in there ! It is now all fresh & pink(ish)... but the problem persists.

I've done as much homework on this site (I enjoy the HELL out of this site, btw), and I've narrowed it down to the following possible issues:

* Shift solenoids 3-4
* PCM (Is this like an ECM ?)
* Chip (?)
* Shifter position sensor
* Modulator valve
* "TV cable" adjustment (?)
* 3-4 clutches
* 3-4 clutch bands
* Governor
* Torque converter

I have a good amount of mechanical aptitude, but have never worked on a tranny, so.... As you can see by this list, I'm not really sure what most of these things are, as I'm certain I have repeated the same part, only with a different spelling.

What are your thoughts ? Do any of these 'issues' jump out at you as the culprit ?

Am I looking at a transmission rebuild ? (I hope not ! - however if I am, I'd like to put in a manual transmission >:-P)

PLEASE HELP !

Ty in advance - Skook
Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

PostSubject: Re: 2-3 gear late shift, no 4th gear   2-3 gear late shift, no 4th gear Icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2013 10:02 pm

I'm not a trans guy but last night I watched the 4L60E rebuild on youtube and learned a lot. ECM and PCM refer to the same unit "Power Control Module" and "Electronic Control Module" the computer for you engine and trans you should be able to find one at a Pick a Part to swap out and check your current module. Jeff (my wagon is new to me also)
Back to top Go down
PSchelly

PSchelly

PostSubject: Re: 2-3 gear late shift, no 4th gear   2-3 gear late shift, no 4th gear Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 11:18 pm

I did some research on swapping out the ECM, and it seems that you need to have it programmed to your VIN number - is this true ?
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: 2-3 gear late shift, no 4th gear   2-3 gear late shift, no 4th gear Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 11:42 pm

The trans is worn out. Black fluid is a dead giveaway, and the soft-delayed shift points directly to a worn out 3-4 clutchpack. Time for a rebuild.

You could try to replace just the 3-4 clutchpack but I guarrantee you that, with that mileage, there are 4-5 other things right in line to fail right after this one.

BTW the following are non-existent in '94-96 cars:
* Chip (?)
* "TV cable" adjustment (?)
* 3-4 clutch bands
* Governor
Back to top Go down
PSchelly

PSchelly

PostSubject: Re: 2-3 gear late shift, no 4th gear   2-3 gear late shift, no 4th gear Icon_minitimeSat Sep 07, 2013 12:13 am

Sherlock9c1,

Although I was hoping for something other than that answer, Thank You for your input.

What are your thoughts about dropping a manual transmission in her ?
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: 2-3 gear late shift, no 4th gear   2-3 gear late shift, no 4th gear Icon_minitimeSat Sep 07, 2013 12:20 am

If you like manual transmissions, save up $3k and do it. If you (like me) don't, don't bother. I continue to amaze myself that every time I drive one of these cars converted to a 6-speed, I like automatics better.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: 2-3 gear late shift, no 4th gear   2-3 gear late shift, no 4th gear Icon_minitimeSat Sep 07, 2013 8:49 am

If you like rowing gears, it's a great swap. I've driven one and am in the process of amassing parts, it totally changes the character of the car (for the better in my opinion).
As Joel mentioned, it'll be a few $$. The swap to a wagon or sedan si the same and it's been done quite a lot, Lots of info on ISSF about it.

If you are lucky you can find a total swap that some else is done with for about $2K. If you see that jump on it.

Big ticket items:

Lt1 t56 and bell housing - 800 - 1400 depending on condition and how anxious to sell
Trans cross member - 250 or so from Clear image
F2B kit - for putting the extra pedal in the car ~450 (pedals not included)
Rear end gears - couple to several hundred
PCM tune - gotta reprogram the compute ~150

And lots of other little stuff. As you can see you already at 2k or better. This why my budget build is so slow going as I'm buying as I have spare cash and/or the screaming deal floats by...

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2-3 gear late shift, no 4th gear   2-3 gear late shift, no 4th gear Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2-3 gear late shift, no 4th gear
Page 1 of 1