GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Radio Installation Today!

Go down 
+3
phantom 309
lakeffect
cbshea13
7 posters
AuthorMessage
cbshea13

cbshea13

Radio Installation Today! Empty
PostSubject: Radio Installation Today!   Radio Installation Today! Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 8:22 am

So, I am going to "attempt" to install a new radio today. A buddy of mine got a new car a few months ago, and took his Alpine out of the old car when he traded it in to the dealership.

The one drawback - I need to pick up a wiring kit for it. I will do my best to take some pictures as I do the job - but, as always, once you get moving, it's hard to remember to stop and take pictures.

It's a fully (umm, it's got everything I need/want and more) loaded Alpine cde-hd138bt. I asked what he wanted, and gave him a 1TB external HD for his computer. He said even swap (he'll be getting a big gift come the holidays from me).

Anyway, my only real issue at this point is not being able to find a 1.5 din install kit. And at this point, I'm okay with having a small gap in my dash around the radio. Heck, this thing even has a remote! lol.

Will post updates later today and pics of job being done (if it gets done!)
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Radio Installation Today!   Radio Installation Today! Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 8:35 am

Have you tried the common sources like Ebay, Google and Amazon?
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Radio Installation Today!   Radio Installation Today! Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 9:11 am

the install kit i jave left over has a small coin tray that takes up the space?
You can have it if you like but it'll take a couple of days to get to you?
Back to top Go down
cbshea13

cbshea13

PostSubject: Re: Radio Installation Today!   Radio Installation Today! Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 1:42 pm

lakeffect wrote:
Have you tried the common sources like Ebay, Google  and Amazon?
I had, but wanted to see if anyone had something local that would work.

phantom 309 wrote:
the install kit i jave left over has a small coin tray that takes up the space?
You can have it if you like but it'll take a couple of days to get to you?
Thanks for the offer but I'm good now.

Ok, so I did take apart the dash this morning to see how hard it would be to do. Yes, very easy. 15-25 minutes to do, and ran into no issues. Went by Best Buy to see what they had. Was informed that the best route was to order directly from Alpine as a replacement part. So I went to Alpine's site, only to be redirected to PacParts. I ordered my harness and a replacement microphone for the Bluetooth connection.

I did pick up an install kit that looks to fit the 1.5 din hole and will work. Here is the radio....

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/cde-hd138bt/

Radio Installation Today! 544_1lg

Doesn't look like too difficult of an install once I have the parts. Oh and I need to pick up an antenna adapter, thanks to that 90 degree angle on the OE. I should have everything Thursday or Friday, and will have it installed before WF!
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: Radio Installation Today!   Radio Installation Today! Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 2:33 pm

while your at it you might like this it puts the radio where the climate controls are, so you dont have to look so far down. i like the kit i put in my wagon
http://www.thedetailss.com/94-96_Impala_Single_Din.html
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
cbshea13

cbshea13

PostSubject: Re: Radio Installation Today!   Radio Installation Today! Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 3:07 pm

mtrhead79 wrote:
while your at it you might like this it puts the radio where the climate controls are, so you dont have to look so far down. i like the kit i put in my wagon
http://www.thedetailss.com/94-96_Impala_Single_Din.html

That is cool looking. I may look into it once there are some available.

From the site...

Quote :
Basic Kit $79.00 +shipping within the Continental US
*International orders will be PayPal invoiced after purchase for
the additional shipping charge*
Temporarily sold out
Back to top Go down
cbshea13

cbshea13

PostSubject: Re: Radio Installation Today!   Radio Installation Today! Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2014 11:04 pm

Okay, got all my wiring stuff. Have everything set to go for tomorrow. Just need to find a good place to mount the mic for the bluetooth. Once I get that situated, it shouldn't be too difficult. I have a 2 hour window for my kids at dance class. I will post a pic or two when I'm finished.

Oh yes, I noticed lots of dust last time, so I have my cleaning stuff ready to go too!
Back to top Go down
cbshea13

cbshea13

PostSubject: Re: Radio Installation Today!   Radio Installation Today! Icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2014 2:25 pm

Install is done. Not "loving" the offset from the install kit - but it's working and in the car. I also have the bluetooth set up, and it works great. Now, I think I have to remove it again, to install the XM tuner to go with it. (We have a family account in all of our cars - so it's just adding in one more thing!

Literally 10-14 bolts, remove trim, unbolt radio. If I knew it was that easy, I would have just changed this ages ago!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Radio Installation Today!   Radio Installation Today! Icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2014 5:09 pm

That kit won't work in your '93 anyway. No need (but it is cool).

Enjoy the new radio!
Back to top Go down
cbshea13

cbshea13

PostSubject: Re: Radio Installation Today!   Radio Installation Today! Icon_minitimeSun Oct 19, 2014 1:50 pm

Stingroo wrote:
That kit won't work in your '93 anyway. No need (but it is cool).

Enjoy the new radio!

Thanks! Sounds great. Kids are loving that they can now plug in an MP3 player lol.
Back to top Go down
stewzer55

stewzer55

PostSubject: Re: Radio Installation Today!   Radio Installation Today! Icon_minitimeSun Oct 19, 2014 4:37 pm

Got any before and after pics?
Back to top Go down
scoffman

scoffman

PostSubject: Re: Radio Installation Today!   Radio Installation Today! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2014 11:42 am

How/where did you route the mic? I ran mine on top of the dash under the dash mat towards the passenger A pillar, up the A pillar, under the headliner towards the rear view mirror, then clipped it onto the drivers sun shade. I'm so tall I never flip it down anyway, but it has plenty of room to flip down if it's needed.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Radio Installation Today!   Radio Installation Today! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2014 11:48 am

Pics or it didn't happen!
Back to top Go down
cbshea13

cbshea13

PostSubject: Re: Radio Installation Today!   Radio Installation Today! Icon_minitimeWed Oct 22, 2014 12:14 am

I don't have any before pics unfortunately.

scoffman wrote:
How/where did you route the mic? I ran mine on top of the dash under the dash mat towards the passenger A pillar, up the A pillar, under the headliner towards the rear view mirror, then clipped it onto the drivers sun shade. I'm so tall I never flip it down anyway, but it has plenty of room to flip down if it's needed.

I went straight across from the radio, under the cluster to the A pillar. Up the A pillar, and just out to the Driver's visor. I had a ton of left over wire from that one!

BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:
Pics or it didn't happen!

Oh you'll see it first hand so enough!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Radio Installation Today!   Radio Installation Today! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Radio Installation Today!
Page 1 of 1