GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

to patch a tube or not

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

to patch a tube or not Empty
PostSubject: to patch a tube or not   to patch a tube or not Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2014 10:10 pm

i was taking slicks off my camaro and putting on a set of rims for the wagon and put 2 little holes in the tube and now i am trying to decide if i should just buy a new tube or patch the tube i have. has anyone patched a tube before and did it hold up? oh new tube is going to run about $65.00. thx
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: to patch a tube or not   to patch a tube or not Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2014 7:41 am

Patches were the standard method for fixing flats before tubeless tires. Obviously, not used much these days for cars. I'm guessing maybe $15 to have the tube fixed, as opposed to $65. I think I know what I would try first.

Tom
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: to patch a tube or not   to patch a tube or not Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2014 5:48 pm

i know for everyday it would be fine. just not sure at the track if it would be ok. i will be doing burn outs with the slicks and would hate to have a blow out at the top end of the track. i did find a guy on ebay that is local trying to sell 2 tubes he said if they dont sell he would break up the set.
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
Big Wagon Guy

Big Wagon Guy

PostSubject: To patch or not to patch that's the question   to patch a tube or not Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2014 8:29 pm

As Tom wrote, before radial tires tubes were it...and many were patched. If the tube is properly patched it should not be an issue. Use a quality patch kit, scuff the tube and allow the glue to adhere.

If your worried about a little blow out at speed...park the car and watch the men race Razz

Follow your gut...personally if the car is going to see track duty for the sake of $50 bucks I would put a new tube in the tire. The peace of mind is likely worth the difference.

Keep the shiny side up.

Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: to patch a tube or not   to patch a tube or not Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2014 12:13 pm

Big Wagon Guy wrote:

If your worried about a little blow out at speed...park the car and watch the men race Razz

Ouch!!

But I would replace the tube!!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: to patch a tube or not   to patch a tube or not Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

to patch a tube or not
Page 1 of 1