GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

oil pressure switch

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
poppawoodie

poppawoodie

oil pressure switch Empty
PostSubject: oil pressure switch   oil pressure switch Icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2014 6:59 pm

Probably not a big deal but thought id ask, was checking plugs and busted my oil press switch in process grrrrrrrrrrrrr. Question is can I run without the switch hooked up, it snapped where the plastic starts after the metal hex that bolts to the block. I think its safe to assume it is sealed from leaking but wont give a reading right? And hell run fine? Im hoping here. My reason for checking plugs was because under load frank is missing I assume and popping back through the throttle body, I assumed misfire/spark issue. I replaced plugs n wires last year but have noticed he puffs smoke on startup occasionally. My thought was fouled plugs from blowby, I pulled the wire above the oil pressure switches location. It was cracked beyoned belief for a year old wire, im guessing excessive heat and most likely why im misfiring. Thoughts ?
Back to top Go down
71novaguy

PostSubject: Re: oil pressure switch   oil pressure switch Icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2014 7:26 pm

That's a knock sensor. Oil pressure switch is in the back
Back to top Go down
poppawoodie

poppawoodie

PostSubject: Re: oil pressure switch   oil pressure switch Icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2014 7:41 pm

Drivers side above oil filter rear end of engine, checked my chiltons before calling out part. Sorry I didnt describe better, but thanks for double checking
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: oil pressure switch   oil pressure switch Icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2014 9:22 pm

poppawoodie wrote:
Probably not a big deal but thought id ask, was checking plugs and busted my oil press switch in process grrrrrrrrrrrrr. Question is can I run without the switch hooked up, it snapped where the plastic starts after the metal hex that bolts to the block. I think its safe to assume it is sealed from leaking but wont give a reading right? And hell run fine? Im hoping here. My reason for checking plugs was because under load frank is missing I assume and popping back through the throttle body, I assumed misfire/spark issue. I replaced plugs n wires last year but have noticed he puffs smoke on startup occasionally.  My thought was fouled plugs from blowby, I pulled the wire above the oil pressure switches location. It was cracked beyoned belief for a year old wire, im guessing excessive heat  and most likely why im misfiring.  Thoughts ?

Sorry but my crystal ball is all covered in snow,. i can't bring up a visual of what year we're talking here,.

Assumptions,. ?? maybe,.

perhaps lack of fuel pressure ,. or vacuum leak,.
Back to top Go down
poppawoodie

poppawoodie

PostSubject: Re: oil pressure switch   oil pressure switch Icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2014 10:14 pm

phantom 309 wrote:
poppawoodie wrote:
Probably not a big deal but thought id ask, was checking plugs and busted my oil press switch in process grrrrrrrrrrrrr. Question is can I run without the switch hooked up, it snapped where the plastic starts after the metal hex that bolts to the block. I think its safe to assume it is sealed from leaking but wont give a reading right? And hell run fine? Im hoping here. My reason for checking plugs was because under load frank is missing I assume and popping back through the throttle body, I assumed misfire/spark issue. I replaced plugs n wires last year but have noticed he puffs smoke on startup occasionally.  My thought was fouled plugs from blowby, I pulled the wire above the oil pressure switches location. It was cracked beyoned belief for a year old wire, im guessing excessive heat  and most likely why im misfiring.  Thoughts ?

Sorry but my crystal ball is all covered in snow,. i can't bring up a visual of what year we're talking here,.

Assumptions,. ??   maybe,.

perhaps lack of fuel pressure ,. or vacuum leak,.

Nice I expected nothing less from ya lol 1991 with a 305 swapped out fuel filter thought maybe dirt but no luck, can I do the carb cleaner spray trick to find a vac leak on tbi?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: oil pressure switch   oil pressure switch Icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2014 10:46 pm

You can use the carb cleaner. You can also use water with a couple of drops of dishwashing liquid in it.

The oil pressure switch may not be sealed if you broke it off. You may also have trouble getting the car to run, because there is a switch in the sensor to keep the engine running when there is oil pressure. It has to be hooked up for the switch to work. The computer may bypass the switch if there is spark signal.

Did you check your timing correctly? 0 degrees with the EST bypass connector disconnected.

The knock sensor is on the passenger's side of the engine, the gauge/idiot light temp sensor is on the driver's side between the #1 and #3 cylinders.
Back to top Go down
poppawoodie

poppawoodie

PostSubject: Re: oil pressure switch   oil pressure switch Icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2014 11:49 pm

Started him up no leak but gauge pinned out I hope I didnt screw it up, well we will see tomorrow with the new sensor. I will check tomorrow on leaks and dbl check timing, Thanks guys
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: oil pressure switch   oil pressure switch Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2014 1:28 am

Fred Kiehl wrote:
You can use the carb cleaner. You can also use water with a couple of drops of dishwashing liquid in it.

Eh?? finding a VACUUM leak with soapy water>??

you going to stick your head down the intake to see the bubbles on the inside?

cheers
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: oil pressure switch   oil pressure switch Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2014 11:56 pm

phantom 309 wrote:
Fred Kiehl wrote:

Eh??   finding a VACUUM leak with soapy water>??

you going to stick your head down the intake to see the bubbles on the inside?

cheers

The vacuum will make a loud sucking sound as the water is pulled in, and the engine will calm down. I use it whenever I need to check for vacuum leaks, and it works fine. There is also no chance of a fire.

You may be able to stick you head in the intake to look for bubbles, but I do not want to hear you complain when it is dark.
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: oil pressure switch   oil pressure switch Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 11:46 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
You may be able to stick you head in the intake to look for bubbles, but I do not want to hear you complain when it is dark.

Don't be silly: use a fibre-optic inspection camera with a light. Laughing

Seriously, good tip. I'll have to try the soapy water some time. I can see where it could work, at least with small leaks, by temporarily sealing the leak and changing the idle. Whether or not my old ears could make out the sucking sound unaided over the noise of the running engine is a different matter.

In the past, I have located vacuum leaks with a mechanic's stethoscope fitted with a rubber "trumpet" end in place of the rod ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]). I now have an electronic amplified stethoscope ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]) which works very well (although it won't recapture lost frequencies)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: oil pressure switch   oil pressure switch Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

oil pressure switch
Page 1 of 1