GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Steering Wheel

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
VT Wagon

VT Wagon

Steering Wheel Empty
PostSubject: Steering Wheel   Steering Wheel Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 6:13 pm

I would like a different wheel in my 96 Wagon.
I would consider just about anything. What do you have?
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

Steering Wheel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Wheel   Steering Wheel Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 6:33 pm

Lots of goodies on ebay with and without air bag. Price ranges $45-250...Ive bought several there.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Steering Wheel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Wheel   Steering Wheel Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2014 12:46 am

If you want a wheel without an airbag, you need an adapter. They are easy to install. You have to remove the tangs on the inside of the bezel that hold the clockspring in position. You also have to remove the clockspring. You can get the 5 hole wheels from Grant and 6 hole wheels from a number of other manufacturers like MOMO and Nardi. There are a couple of different adapter manufacturers. Some are 5 hole specific, some are 5 hole and 6 hole MOMO, and some are 6 hole MOMO/Nardi. A one inch tall spacer/adapter (from the Grant three bolt adapter) is the correct size to give you good wheel position if you have a mild dish to the wheel. Do not use a deep dish, or flat wheel, or the turn signal stalk will feel awkward. Taller adapters are available if you want to use a flat wheel. NRG makes an expensive adapter in different heights for 6 hole wheels only, and you can use a deep dish wheel with the short adapter (you do not need the Grant adapter base with the NRG). You also have to put a 2 ohm 10 watt (or equivalent) resistor across the leads for the SRS connector under the dash.

Swapping steering wheels is pretty straight forward. You use a steering wheel puller, and a clip ring pliers to get all of the parts out. There is a plastic cover on the bottom of the column that you have to remove to get the clockspring wire out, unless you cut the connector off, or remove the pins from the connector.
Back to top Go down
Eyorspt

Steering Wheel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Wheel   Steering Wheel Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2015 9:48 am

Let me open this thread from December.

My 1995 Roadmaster finally arrived after being snowed in at Chicago for more than a week.

One small item I found that doesn't work is the horn.

Too cold to do much checking now but I have been reading up on the whys, and hows.  It seems that the horn contacts is the week link on these cars.  The proper action is to replace the entire air bag package - that ain't going to happen!!

One fix I see is to remove the air bag package and - very carefully - remove the flimsy horn contacts and replace them with a new one.  I understand the contact parts are still available at the GM dealers...??

I'm thinking - just change out the steering wheel for a nice wood one if all else checks out to be working.

Thanks for the info here on how to do that.

Last edited by Eyorspt on Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

Steering Wheel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Wheel   Steering Wheel Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2015 9:53 am

Quote :
If you want a wheel without an airbag, you need an adapter.

Incorrect. Stock GM non-bag wheels are bolt on. Adapters are needed for aftermarket wheels.

Steering Wheel 100_2127
Back to top Go down
Eyorspt

Steering Wheel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Wheel   Steering Wheel Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2015 10:22 am

jayoldschool, thanks for that input. Now to start looking for wheels!!
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Steering Wheel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Wheel   Steering Wheel Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2015 11:12 am

I have swapped out a number of aftermarket wheels with adapters. I found all of my wheels and adapters on ebay. Get a 14 inch wheel. The original wheels are 15 inch, and the aftermarket wheels that are 15 inches seem a little big for the car. The ones with a thicker rim are a lot more comfortable as well. Be careful purchasing from Asia. I have had good results from Australia. I used Seamail to ship for a negligible cost, but it took 3 months to get here. Do not buy a used wood rim wheel with any cracks, they are not worth anything. If you are getting a new one, you have a lot to pick from. I personally like the older wheels, but again, be careful with condition. A good used MOMO or Nardi will cost you upwards of $150. You can get new off brand or Grant for a bit less. Get the billet adapter, and check the depth, because the wheel stalk/distance can be uncomfortable with the wrong adapter for the dish of the wheel. The Chevy adapters up to 1990 will work with all 91-96 B bodies. The manufacturers do not want to deal with the airbag cars. There is an adapter that is priced lower than most, but it requires a mod to make it work correctly. It is from apple289 on ebay. I have used a couple of them, and after modifying, they work good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Steering Wheel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Wheel   Steering Wheel Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Steering Wheel
Page 1 of 1