GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

has anybody cut 94 dash to fit a double DIN radio?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

has anybody cut 94 dash to fit a double DIN radio?  Empty
PostSubject: has anybody cut 94 dash to fit a double DIN radio?    has anybody cut 94 dash to fit a double DIN radio?  Icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2014 11:59 am

I want to put in a double DIN radio to use with a backup camera, but I can't find good tan 95-96 dash locally. So I'm thinking of trimming the dash to fit.

I doubt I can make it look as nice as the factory bevel, but I am curious if anybody has done it and how it looked.

Back to top Go down
http://www.jewelorjalopy.com
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

PostSubject: Re: has anybody cut 94 dash to fit a double DIN radio?    has anybody cut 94 dash to fit a double DIN radio?  Icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2014 12:06 pm

Be sure you do a write up with photos when you do the back up camera. I have been wanting to do the same thing. Get a hardwired camera. I used a wireless on my truck and it is spotty at times with reception.

Are you putting the camera in the key hole/release button trim bar?

Be patient as the Portland yards tend to always have a 95-96 sedan every few months.
Back to top Go down
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

PostSubject: Re: has anybody cut 94 dash to fit a double DIN radio?    has anybody cut 94 dash to fit a double DIN radio?  Icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2014 12:14 pm

There is a 96 sedan red/red, but the dash was broken when I got there 3 days after the car was there. I will be faster next time.

And I haven't figured out where to mount the camera yet but I will post my process.
Back to top Go down
sswagon

sswagon

PostSubject: Re: has anybody cut 94 dash to fit a double DIN radio?    has anybody cut 94 dash to fit a double DIN radio?  Icon_minitimeThu Nov 27, 2014 10:07 am

I like the fact that you want it to look factory. I have always said with all my mods on any vehicle I've owned, "I want it to look as if factory did it had they used good stuff".
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: has anybody cut 94 dash to fit a double DIN radio?    has anybody cut 94 dash to fit a double DIN radio?  Icon_minitimeThu Nov 27, 2014 6:06 pm

i know there is a kit for the caprice but have not seen any for a roady
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

PostSubject: Re: has anybody cut 94 dash to fit a double DIN radio?    has anybody cut 94 dash to fit a double DIN radio?  Icon_minitimeThu Nov 27, 2014 8:51 pm

That's usually how I do things, my Alfa of courseI being the exception.

I unfortunately can't justify the Z28 cluster so i will be adding a tach on the column and 3 gauges on the roof or under the dash, trans temp, oil pressure and volt meter.  I can always convert to the stock looking dash when funds allow.

I have also found that I can ignore external issues but if you sit in the interior staring at broken stuff it will bug me. So my typical plan is to fix stuff thats broken, catch up on deferred maintenance to make it reliable, clean up the interior then fix the extrrior. I also don't want potential thieves to see anything they.might want to steal.
Back to top Go down
Bobloblaw

Bobloblaw

PostSubject: Re: has anybody cut 94 dash to fit a double DIN radio?    has anybody cut 94 dash to fit a double DIN radio?  Icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2014 12:41 pm

I also want to place a double din in my dash, for the back up camera as well.
The only option that I can see is to cut the dash up and use an epoxy or some sort of resin to hold it together again.
I have not taken my dash off yet, so I am not familiar with what it looks like on the back side.

I would be interested to see if anyone has experience with doing this.
I would do it myself, but dont exactly have the funds to buy a stereo currently.
Back to top Go down
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

PostSubject: Re: has anybody cut 94 dash to fit a double DIN radio?    has anybody cut 94 dash to fit a double DIN radio?  Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2014 10:24 pm

I just took a few measurements. The opening in the dash is about 3 1/8" high. The face of my new stereo is 3 7/8".

I think I can just cut away the top of the opening and have access to the DVD slot.

The trim ring that came with the stereo is over 4" high, so it won't fit in the opening. I'm hoping it will look ok without the trim ring, but I'm doing as much planning and measuring as I can before I cut the dash. I'd rather downgrade to a single DIN radio and lose the monitor than have a hokey-@ss stereo.

Someone here did it: has anybody cut 94 dash to fit a double DIN radio?  TULSA09170d
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: has anybody cut 94 dash to fit a double DIN radio?    has anybody cut 94 dash to fit a double DIN radio?  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

has anybody cut 94 dash to fit a double DIN radio?
Page 1 of 1