GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Outdoor temperature gauge??

Go down 
+2
95BRMW
Norroof
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Norroof

Outdoor temperature gauge?? Empty
PostSubject: Outdoor temperature gauge??   Outdoor temperature gauge?? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2014 12:35 pm

Hi Y`all,

I just aquired a 92 Caprice wagon. I am going to to use it as a daily driver.  The only thing that I really miss is an outdoor temperature gauge.

I like my cars bone stock, and I don`t want no ugly Taiwan cr*p glued to the dash.  Maybe some of you guys have some smart ideas?

I probably could settle for a GENTEX rear view mirror with a temperature readout. But I haven`t found a mirror replacement with map lights yet. I kinda like the map lights..

Thanks,
Back to top Go down
http://www.usakonsulenten.com
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Outdoor temperature gauge??   Outdoor temperature gauge?? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2014 1:18 pm

Finding one with map lights and temp is very rare. I found one a long time ago in a Sebring coupe, not many had it.
Another option is the blazer overhead console, those had outdoor temp. You do have to cut up your headliner to fit it though.
Back to top Go down
71novaguy

PostSubject: Re: Outdoor temperature gauge??   Outdoor temperature gauge?? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2014 8:48 pm

The wife had a 98 grand Cherokee that had this. Dodge thing?
Back to top Go down
Norroof

PostSubject: Re: Outdoor temperature gauge??   Outdoor temperature gauge?? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 27, 2014 12:10 pm

95BRMW wrote:
Finding one with map lights and temp is very rare.  I found one a long time ago in a Sebring coupe, not many had it.
Another option is the blazer overhead console, those had outdoor temp.  You do have to cut up your headliner to fit it though.

Yeah, kinda figured that. Never seen any with a map light and temperature readout.

I was thinking about getting on of those cheap ones on ebay and install it in the ashtray - so that it could be pulled out when needed. But they are probably just junk anyway - and just a waste of money. The ones in newer cars are pretty accurate and dependable.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Outdoor temperature gauge??   Outdoor temperature gauge?? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 27, 2014 2:10 pm

Can the Caprice be adapted to accept the RM or OCC electronic climate control? The RM and OCC climate controls had the sensor on the middle upright of the core support. It would look relatively stock, and give you outside temp. I do not know if the Caprice had an electronic climate control as an option. If it has one available, it would be a not original but stock item. You have to change the fan control to an electronic one from the resistor type as well.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Outdoor temperature gauge??   Outdoor temperature gauge?? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 27, 2014 4:56 pm

Auto HVAC was never an option on Caprice (91-96). There is a complete how to for swapping in the auto RM unit on the ISSF, it's a lot of work.

How about the old Cadillac outdoor one? lol

Outdoor temperature gauge?? JunkyardTrip012
Back to top Go down
Norroof

PostSubject: Re: Outdoor temperature gauge??   Outdoor temperature gauge?? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 28, 2014 12:17 am

[quote="jayoldschool"]Auto HVAC was never an option on Caprice (91-96).  There is a complete how to for swapping in the auto RM unit on the ISSF, it's a lot of work.

How about the old Cadillac outdoor one?  lol

Yeah, I remember how impressed I was back in the 70`s of those outside Cadillac outdoor gauges. I have owned a few Cadillacs with this option. The real nice ones were the lighted ones!!
Back to top Go down
Dutch Pete

Dutch Pete

PostSubject: Re: Outdoor temperature gauge??   Outdoor temperature gauge?? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 28, 2014 3:14 pm

Yeah, that's real old scool
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Outdoor temperature gauge??   Outdoor temperature gauge?? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2014 7:35 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
Can the Caprice be adapted to accept the RM or OCC electronic climate control? The RM and OCC climate controls had the sensor on the middle upright of the core support. It would look relatively stock, and give you outside temp. I do not know if the Caprice had an electronic climate control as an option. If it has one available, it would be a not original but stock item. You have to change the fan control to an electronic one from the resistor type as well.

It can be done, if you LOVE wiring.  It was worth the work for the wow factor  Smile
Outdoor temperature gauge?? 9C1rad_zpsb5b629df
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Outdoor temperature gauge??   Outdoor temperature gauge?? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2014 9:31 pm

95BRMW wrote:
Fred Kiehl wrote:

It can be done, if you LOVE wiring.  It was worth the work for the wow factor  Smile
Outdoor temperature gauge?? 9C1rad_zpsb5b629df

That should work in the OP's 92 as well. You could use an OCC unit too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Outdoor temperature gauge??   Outdoor temperature gauge?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Outdoor temperature gauge??
Page 1 of 1