GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

EGR Problems and failed Emissions test

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Big Pimpin'

Big Pimpin'

EGR Problems and failed Emissions test Empty
PostSubject: EGR Problems and failed Emissions test   EGR Problems and failed Emissions test Icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 4:19 pm

Well my trusty '93 RMW has failed it's e-test. Passed on everything at idle but failed on HC and CO at cruise. It started surging at cruise about a week or so before I went to get it tested. I went thru everything in the Factory Service Manual and swapped out most of the sensors with other spare ones that I had. Using my friends scan tool I did some data streaming and I can see that the Integrator value is about 120 and the Block Learn value is about 108 when driving down the road. This suggests the car is running rich and that the computer is compensating for that.

To make a long story short. I've narrowed it down to the EGR circuit. With the EGR connected it surges, sometimes rather badly at cruise. It feels similar to towing a trailer. It runs smoothly at idle, closed throttle deceleration and full throttle acceleration.

When I disconnect the EGR the car runs smoothly under all conditions except for some very heavy pinging. This is what I would expect because the computer is advancing the timing to compensate for the Exhaust gases entering the combustion chamber.

So I have done all the tests in the FSM on the EGR valve and solenoid and everything checks out normal. I can't understand why the EGR system is adding too much exhaust gas. My car has a negative pressure EGR valve which uses exhaust backpressure to control it. I did swap out the stock exhaust for a complete 3" single system about a year ago, but the car has been running great up until about a month ago.

Any ideas guys? My '91 Caprice sedan had similar symptoms before I scraped it, and I never did figure it out.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: EGR Problems and failed Emissions test   EGR Problems and failed Emissions test Icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 7:55 pm

change the cat,. it'll pass,. even a cheapie $90.00 3",.rich is actually good, makes the cat work properly,.i,d just add the cheapie cat behind the oroginal,. take it out after you,ve passed,..use it again in two years,.

Nick
Back to top Go down
Big Pimpin'

Big Pimpin'

PostSubject: Re: EGR Problems and failed Emissions test   EGR Problems and failed Emissions test Icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 7:31 pm

Hey Nick, I know you had a huge headache with your Black wagon and E testing. My car actually has a 3" Magnaflow cat on it that is about a year old. I know the aftermarket cats don't last too long, that's why I kept the original cat. The thing is I don't wanna hack up a really nice 3" exhaust to fit the stock cat back in just yet.

I really need to figure out the surging problem caused by the EGR first. The car is a real pain to drive right now. Once I fix that if it still fails I think I will try patching in the old cat. Or burn the F@#*ing car to the ground and buy a Hybrid. No Etesting for them at least.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: EGR Problems and failed Emissions test   EGR Problems and failed Emissions test Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

EGR Problems and failed Emissions test
Page 1 of 1