GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rust-proofing ??

Go down 
+7
Sprocket
benn
BigBlackBeaSSt
MalibuSSwagon
phantom 309
buickwagon
HoosierDaddy
11 posters
AuthorMessage
HoosierDaddy

Rust-proofing ?? Empty
PostSubject: Rust-proofing ??   Rust-proofing ?? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2015 2:05 pm

I've been thinking about having rust proofing done to my wagon by Ziebart or one their competitors. I did a search here to find recommendations on what kind works best but didn't come up with much info. I'd really like to park the car in the garage for the winter and leave it until spring but I bought it to drive and I have other projects clogging up my shop. I've read that these places will only provide a warranty if you do it to a car that's only a couple years old and also take it back in for yearly touch ups or new applications. Not having a warranty doesn't concern me as long as I don't have to make this a yearly affair.

Is rustproofing applied by a shop effective?

I'd rather just have it done unless a DIY solution is significantly cheaper and just as effective.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

Rust-proofing ?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rust-proofing ??   Rust-proofing ?? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2015 9:00 pm

The best rustproofing is oil spray by Krown or Rust-Check or similar. It has to be reapplied annually, it drips for a couple of days after application, it stinks when it drips on the exhaust. But it penetrates into crevices, it self-heals when struck by a stone, it can halt further development of existing rust and it doesn't allow hidden rust to develop and grow underneath a hard layer.

Ziebart and similar dry, waxy, rustproofing treatments do not offer the same benefits and are a waste of money in my humble opinion.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

Rust-proofing ?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rust-proofing ??   Rust-proofing ?? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2015 12:11 am

oil spray buggers the rubbers along the bottom of the door,.
Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

Rust-proofing ?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rust-proofing ??   Rust-proofing ?? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2015 2:01 pm

Fluid Film
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

Rust-proofing ?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rust-proofing ??   Rust-proofing ?? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2015 4:29 pm

Nox-rust or similar. If it hardens it does more harm than good. I do my underside when I change the oil and keep it touched up. It is important that it fluid or runs when it gets warm as others have pointed out.

http://www.daubertchemical.com/brands/noxrust

I use a less runny product inside the panels, Rusfre. Its a more waxed base, but again it can move so it 'heals' itself. I do NOT use the rubberized undercoatings.

A leaky tranny helps to!!
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

Rust-proofing ?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rust-proofing ??   Rust-proofing ?? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2015 11:26 pm

BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:
s.

A leaky tranny helps too!!  

Er,...pardon?
Back to top Go down
benn

benn

Rust-proofing ?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rust-proofing ??   Rust-proofing ?? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2015 11:53 pm

phantom 309 wrote:
BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:
s.

Er,...pardon?

Shocked whats her name?

...I use Krown rust check For what its worth
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

Rust-proofing ?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rust-proofing ??   Rust-proofing ?? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2015 10:36 am

I have a leaky rear seal on my 305, it's keeping alot of the car moist under there....but I don't have salt issues.
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

Rust-proofing ?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rust-proofing ??   Rust-proofing ?? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2015 6:16 am

phantom 309 wrote:
oil spray buggers the rubbers along the bottom of the door

this is true.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

Rust-proofing ?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rust-proofing ??   Rust-proofing ?? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2015 10:21 am

benn wrote:
phantom 309 wrote:
BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:
s.

Er,...pardon?

Shocked whats her name? Sharron... Sharron Peters. Really loves longroofs,especially woodys.

...I use Krown rust check For what its worth
Back to top Go down
steel-and-fire

Rust-proofing ?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rust-proofing ??   Rust-proofing ?? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2015 2:26 pm

Not to hijack the thread, but what do you guys use for rustproofing that is DIY? POR-15 or some other similar paint? Do you guys grind off the surface rust or use a "rust inhibitor" and then paint over it?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/weltallid123
buickwagon

buickwagon

Rust-proofing ?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rust-proofing ??   Rust-proofing ?? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2015 6:37 pm

You can buy cans of Rust-Check and a gun at Canadian Tire up here. I imagine it must be available somewhere down there too. An air compressor is required to run the gun though.
Back to top Go down
pilgrim

Rust-proofing ?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rust-proofing ??   Rust-proofing ?? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2015 12:01 am

Consider SEM Rust Seal as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rust-proofing ?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rust-proofing ??   Rust-proofing ?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rust-proofing ??
Page 1 of 1