GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Secondary air delete bulletin

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
rjathon

rjathon

Secondary air delete bulletin Empty
PostSubject: Secondary air delete bulletin   Secondary air delete bulletin Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2015 4:47 pm

Does anyone know much about this: http://www.impalassforum.com/tech/engine/air_pump/air_pump.htm

Thanks,

Russ
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: Secondary air delete bulletin   Secondary air delete bulletin Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2015 9:17 pm

What do you want to know? The bulletin outlines the approved procedure pretty well.

Some guys have gone beyond the disable procedure, and have had problems with subsequent emissions testing programs, unless you have the referenced sticker, which are no longer available from GM. Someone over there actually made some reproduction stickers. I think they may have even tweaked the sticker to say "delete" instead of "disable".

I do know that the TIS calibration file referenced in the TSB is not available for my 95. I suspect that the procedure only applies to US models and was never approved in Canada. But a tuner program and a cable can take care of that (at least, for 95 models).

I have never come across any explanation as to why the 94 was not also included. I would have thought it was basically identical to the 95.
Back to top Go down
rjathon

rjathon

PostSubject: Re: Secondary air delete bulletin   Secondary air delete bulletin Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2015 7:56 am

By "secondary air" are they referring to the air pump?

Thanks,

Russ
Back to top Go down
71novaguy

PostSubject: Re: Secondary air delete bulletin   Secondary air delete bulletin Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2015 9:32 am

Done this to my 96rmw. Had check engine lights on all time, mostly because of air system. Removed all the components, bought the sticker on eBay, and the dealer did the new tune. No lights since (knock on wood)
Back to top Go down
lamune

lamune

PostSubject: Re: Secondary air delete bulletin   Secondary air delete bulletin Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2015 2:32 pm

Clarification- the AIR system does not recirculate exhaust gas. (That's EGR)

When the engine is cold, it injects fresh air into the exhaust system to provide surplus oxygen, which is used to burn up the cold/rich mixture and heat up the cats to operating temperature faster. It reduces emissions by burning off the excess hydrocarbons during this rich running condition, essentially.

Once the engine (and cats) have warmed up the system shuts off.

Since the AIR system doesn't run when warm, and you're unlikely to do a smog test with a cold engine, there should be no impact to measured emissions whether the AIR is even present or not. Only a visual inspection may cause you problems (assuming anyone remembers what it's even supposed to look like!) or if the computer throws a code if it detects the pump wasn't running (maybe in 96 with OBD II, this happens? Not sure.)

Back to top Go down
rjathon

rjathon

PostSubject: Re: Secondary air delete bulletin   Secondary air delete bulletin Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2015 3:37 pm

I found a dealership that will flash the PCM for $50. He did my sedan today and he will do the wagon next week.

If it was going to be expensive I was considering trying one of those places like pcmforless that retunes the whole PCM but I'm delighted to get it done for $50 and stay stock.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Secondary air delete bulletin   Secondary air delete bulletin Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Secondary air delete bulletin
Page 1 of 1