GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Secondary air pump delete underway: what's this thing?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
dmg4
dmg4

Secondary air pump delete underway: what's this thing? Empty
PostSubject: Secondary air pump delete underway: what's this thing?   Secondary air pump delete underway: what's this thing? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2018 6:48 pm

I'm removing the junk associated with the secondary air pump.  I'd like to remove the metal tubes that pass under the engine front and connect the two manifolds, but there is an electrical/vacuum component mounted on the driver side tube (see arrow in pictures below).

What is that thing?  Can it be removed and tossed along with the rest of the air pump junk, or does it fulfill some additional and necessary function?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: Secondary air pump delete underway: what's this thing?   Secondary air pump delete underway: what's this thing? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2018 9:56 am

You don't need to connect the manifolds. Just remove the fittings and use pipe plugs. SS Socket drive plugs look best.
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: Secondary air pump delete underway: what's this thing?   Secondary air pump delete underway: what's this thing? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2018 1:57 pm

I'm not trying to connect the manifolds. I want to remove the steel tubes that connect the manifolds to the air pump. I already capped the ports on the manifold with 5/8 flare fittings. I know it's not necessary to remove the metal tubes, but as I've already removed the pump and relay, they are just in the way.

Bingo! I found the suspect component's identity elsewhere: It is the Secondary Air Injection Vacuum Bleed Valve Solonoid. Who knew?

It's gone now, along with the rest of the air pump junk.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Secondary air pump delete underway: what's this thing?   Secondary air pump delete underway: what's this thing? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Secondary air pump delete underway: what's this thing?
Page 1 of 1