GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Dual batteries in a '89 Buick Le Sabre Estate Wagon, boxie ?

Go down 
+2
jayoldschool
redcaddy
6 posters
AuthorMessage
redcaddy

redcaddy

Dual batteries in a '89 Buick Le Sabre Estate Wagon, boxie ? Empty
PostSubject: Dual batteries in a '89 Buick Le Sabre Estate Wagon, boxie ?   Dual batteries in a '89 Buick Le Sabre Estate Wagon, boxie ? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2015 8:34 pm

I was poking around under the hood today, (cleaning , jiggling and checking things out) when it occurred to me that there might be room for dual batteries under the hood, in the core support.

There is a battery sized space, on the passenger side, right now it's full of a couple of vacuum accumulator balls, whose system/ function eludes me, but could be easily cleared out.

Is there a factory battery shelf or hold downs to accommodate a second battery in that location?

I've had this setup on all my other tow rigs (pick ups and suburbans) and used it to charge batteries in the toy box,
( race cars and 4 wheelers mostly) Having the ability to charge the vehicle start/run batteries from the generator in the trailer has saved the day several times. (Yeah, it took a couple of lessons to add an isolator and a rotary battery switch, don't ask)

Also, what do you guy's recommend for a higher output alternator? 95 amp or larger.

Thanks, Paul
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Dual batteries in a '89 Buick Le Sabre Estate Wagon, boxie ?   Dual batteries in a '89 Buick Le Sabre Estate Wagon, boxie ? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2015 9:26 pm

Yes, the diesel of that body got factory dual batteries, so the parts are out there.

Alternator? The 140amp CS144 found in 94-96 cars. Note that some got the smaller alternator. Google for pics.
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: Dual batteries in a '89 Buick Le Sabre Estate Wagon, boxie ?   Dual batteries in a '89 Buick Le Sabre Estate Wagon, boxie ? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2015 11:37 pm

Ok, so you know about the isolator, good.

I had a dual battery setup on my 96 Pontiac Laurentian many (many, many) years ago. I also added a solenoid between them with a small momentary contact button inside so I could boost my own battery by pushing a button (SWMBO had a bad habit of leaving the interior lights on...) It was also very handy one cold, rainy night when the alternator packed it in 2 hours from home with a carload of kids. By the time we got home, the wipers and turn signals were getting real slow, but at least we made it!

If you can't find factory parts, you can buy aftermarket battery trays and fabricate your own mounts to attach one to the front clip/fender.

The vacuum bulbs act as a reservoir to maintain vacuum to accessories like defrost damper doors during acceleration. Without them strange things can happen when engine vacuum temporarily drops as you hit the gas. But they can be relocated to just about anywhere they will fit.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Dual batteries in a '89 Buick Le Sabre Estate Wagon, boxie ?   Dual batteries in a '89 Buick Le Sabre Estate Wagon, boxie ? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2015 10:46 am

Pontiac Laurentian = Bonneville?
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: Dual batteries in a '89 Buick Le Sabre Estate Wagon, boxie ?   Dual batteries in a '89 Buick Le Sabre Estate Wagon, boxie ? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2015 5:54 pm

Similar, closer to the Catalina or the Parisienne though. I think the Laurentian was a Canada-only model. Hmmm. Come to think of it, maybe the Parisienne was too.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Dual batteries in a '89 Buick Le Sabre Estate Wagon, boxie ?   Dual batteries in a '89 Buick Le Sabre Estate Wagon, boxie ? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2015 6:18 pm

A 96?
Back to top Go down
redcaddy

redcaddy

PostSubject: Re: Dual batteries in a '89 Buick Le Sabre Estate Wagon, boxie ?   Dual batteries in a '89 Buick Le Sabre Estate Wagon, boxie ? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2015 8:38 pm

Wow, thanks for the reply's.

I knew about the diesel wagons, but have never seen one. Didn't know they had dual's.

Does anybody have a source or part number? (I'm thinkin' the passenger side battery tray aint the first thing you save when parting out a beater, lol.)

Not a big deal to adapt an aftermarket tray, but I'd rather have the factory stuff if I can.

My FLAPS say's a CS 144 is available but wants a $60.00 core. Fat chance...

Any idea what other GM's might have the big one?

Thanks again for the help.

Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Dual batteries in a '89 Buick Le Sabre Estate Wagon, boxie ?   Dual batteries in a '89 Buick Le Sabre Estate Wagon, boxie ? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2015 9:30 pm

Trucks, 4.9 Cadillacs... more... have a google, lots of swap info.

For the tray, looking at this auction, it looks like it would be really easy to fit a stock one on the opposite side

http://www.ebay.com/itm/80-90-Chevy-Caprice-Impala-Battery-tray-/301510445839?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item46336c4b0f&vxp=mtr
Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

PostSubject: Re: Dual batteries in a '89 Buick Le Sabre Estate Wagon, boxie ?   Dual batteries in a '89 Buick Le Sabre Estate Wagon, boxie ? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2015 12:39 pm

Usually on Oldsmobile-engined cars the battery is on the drivers side, and SBC cars had the battery on the passenger side. SO find a battery tray out of a box body SBC car and you should be good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dual batteries in a '89 Buick Le Sabre Estate Wagon, boxie ?   Dual batteries in a '89 Buick Le Sabre Estate Wagon, boxie ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dual batteries in a '89 Buick Le Sabre Estate Wagon, boxie ?
Page 1 of 1