GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

My power antenna died. Anyone got a good one? '96 Roady Wagon.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
81X11

81X11

My power antenna died.   Anyone got a good one?   '96 Roady Wagon. Empty
PostSubject: My power antenna died. Anyone got a good one? '96 Roady Wagon.   My power antenna died.   Anyone got a good one?   '96 Roady Wagon. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2015 11:06 am

My power antenna died. Anyone got a good one? '96 Roady Wagon. Little help?

Back to top Go down
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

PostSubject: Re: My power antenna died. Anyone got a good one? '96 Roady Wagon.   My power antenna died.   Anyone got a good one?   '96 Roady Wagon. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2015 12:26 pm

Mike-

In another post you said that the motor still runs but the antenna is not working.  There are some great fix-it steps here:
https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t11027-antenna-repair?highlight=Repair+antenna

Last edited by Wagoninabox on Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: My power antenna died. Anyone got a good one? '96 Roady Wagon.   My power antenna died.   Anyone got a good one?   '96 Roady Wagon. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2015 12:27 pm

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: My power antenna died. Anyone got a good one? '96 Roady Wagon.   My power antenna died.   Anyone got a good one?   '96 Roady Wagon. Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2015 10:05 am

So just an update here, I got an antenna mast kit for a 80's GM car (G-body Cutlass) from a friend. New in box. It's the mast and plastic cable. He just GAVE it to me. Before I rip into the fender, does anyone know if this will work with the Roadmaster's motor assembly? My motor still runs.

Also got a brand-new aftermarket power antenna, but I don't care for the way it mounts...it sticks up more than stock, so I'm not using that.

Thanks in advance on any advice!

My power antenna died.   Anyone got a good one?   '96 Roady Wagon. 00K0K_fWltAlAMzMM_600x450

-Mike

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: My power antenna died. Anyone got a good one? '96 Roady Wagon.   My power antenna died.   Anyone got a good one?   '96 Roady Wagon. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2015 9:48 pm

The 80s antenna will not work with the RM.

I found a good mast at the junk yard the other day, I have been able to assemble a good antenna with some other parts I have. I would like $95 and your old antenna, if the mast is not broken.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: My power antenna died. Anyone got a good one? '96 Roady Wagon.   My power antenna died.   Anyone got a good one?   '96 Roady Wagon. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2015 9:41 am

Fred thanks for the info on the antenna mast that I have, and the offer.  

Happily I found one locally.   Wrench-A-Part here in Austin got in a '96 Caprice Classic, and amazingly it had a power antenna.   A local car-buddy spotted it. $12, hard to beat!   Ran power to it and it jumps right up!   Win!  

My power antenna died.   Anyone got a good one?   '96 Roady Wagon. 11132196_964319140246419_1097407000_o

My power antenna died.   Anyone got a good one?   '96 Roady Wagon. 11148882_964319143579752_1398278281_n

One question though, do you lube yours, or just clean the mast really well when it's up?   I'd been told in the past not to lube them, as it collects dust if you do and can jam up.   That said, I'd kept my old antenna spotless and it still broke, so would like to hear opinions.

Now to put this in my Roady!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: My power antenna died. Anyone got a good one? '96 Roady Wagon.   My power antenna died.   Anyone got a good one?   '96 Roady Wagon. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2015 9:51 am

With as scarce as these are,has anyone tried to convert to the thread on style antenna?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: My power antenna died. Anyone got a good one? '96 Roady Wagon.   My power antenna died.   Anyone got a good one?   '96 Roady Wagon. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2015 10:20 am

Andebe wrote:
With as scarce as these are,has anyone tried to convert to the thread on style antenna?
Some came with permanent antennas that threaded on, but the base is even worse than the electrical ones. They are cheap cast metal with chrome plating, and usually break off at the bottom of the threads. I have one good base, and it is the only one I ever found that was salvageable.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: My power antenna died. Anyone got a good one? '96 Roady Wagon.   My power antenna died.   Anyone got a good one?   '96 Roady Wagon. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2015 10:29 am

81X11 wrote:

Happily I found one locally.   Wrench-A-Part here in Austin got in a '96 Caprice Classic, and amazingly it had a power antenna.   A local car-buddy spotted it.  $12, hard to beat!   Ran power to it and it jumps right up!   Win!  

One question though, do you lube yours, or just clean the mast really well when it's up?   I'd been told in the past not to lube them, as it collects dust if you do and can jam up.   That said, I'd kept my old antenna spotless and it still broke, so would like to hear opinions.

-Mike

Do not lube it, just clean it. The lube collects crap and gums it up. The mast is stainless steel.

Getting one for $12 is like finding a gold nugget. The cable kit alone is $38 shipped, if you want to fix the cable. The new masts are made of unobtanium.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: My power antenna died. Anyone got a good one? '96 Roady Wagon.   My power antenna died.   Anyone got a good one?   '96 Roady Wagon. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2015 10:58 am

Fred Kiehl wrote:
81X11 wrote:

Happily I found one locally.   Wrench-A-Part here in Austin got in a '96 Caprice Classic, and amazingly it had a power antenna.   A local car-buddy spotted it.  $12, hard to beat!   Ran power to it and it jumps right up!   Win!  

-Mike

Do not lube it, just clean it. The lube collects crap and gums it up. The mast is stainless steel.

Getting one for $12 is like finding a gold nugget. The cable kit alone is $38 shipped, if you want to fix the cable. The new masts are made of unobtanium.

Yep finding one made my day. Hope it lasts a while!!
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: My power antenna died. Anyone got a good one? '96 Roady Wagon.   My power antenna died.   Anyone got a good one?   '96 Roady Wagon. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2015 3:16 pm

I converted the antenna on my beater RMW to a fixed mast off a Caprice, managed to find one that didn't break off like Fred mentioned.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: My power antenna died. Anyone got a good one? '96 Roady Wagon.   My power antenna died.   Anyone got a good one?   '96 Roady Wagon. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2015 3:19 pm

95BRMW wrote:
I converted the antenna on my beater RMW to a fixed mast off a Caprice, managed to find one that didn't break off like Fred mentioned.

That's most-likely a smart move, but I like the power antenna. They are few and far-between these days. Wink

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: My power antenna died. Anyone got a good one? '96 Roady Wagon.   My power antenna died.   Anyone got a good one?   '96 Roady Wagon. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2015 6:06 pm

The fixed mast antenna base is just a much of a PITA to install as the electric ones. The chance of having a car wash break it off is also about the same as an electric one.

Get an antenna that can be mounted inside the car, and delete the exterior antenna completely. The RMs and OCCs can have them mounted in the vista window area. The others may find them a little harder to position for the best reception.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My power antenna died. Anyone got a good one? '96 Roady Wagon.   My power antenna died.   Anyone got a good one?   '96 Roady Wagon. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My power antenna died. Anyone got a good one? '96 Roady Wagon.
Page 1 of 1