GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

repairing door panels

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
lamune

lamune

repairing door panels Empty
PostSubject: repairing door panels   repairing door panels Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2015 11:17 pm

So looks like my son's curiosity got the best of him, as it usually does. Looks like he pulled on the driver's side rear door panel and broke the 'christmas tree' clip holders off the door panel itself.

Nick, I heard a rumor that you've successfully repaired these things in the past. Since rear door panels are pretty much impossible to get, I'm going to have to fix it.

Could use some input.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: repairing door panels   repairing door panels Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2015 10:04 am

Alot of different clips available on Ebay...Usually in bulk packs. I found them affordable.
Back to top Go down
lamune

lamune

PostSubject: Re: repairing door panels   repairing door panels Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2015 11:46 am

I have piles of clips. The clips are still attached to the part of the door panel they fit into and are still in the door. They're just now separated from the rest of the door panel!
Back to top Go down
GMjonn

GMjonn

PostSubject: Re: repairing door panels   repairing door panels Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2015 10:50 pm

I was able to reglue those clip holders back onto the door panel of my wifes 97 Sunfire convertible. I forget what glue I used but it was one of those 2 part epoxy glues that you push the plunger down on then mix the 2 halfs together.
Rough every thing up with sandpaper, then make sure it is nice and clean, mix lots of epoxy, and only do one at a time so you are not rushing.
Hope this helps
Back to top Go down
lamune

lamune

PostSubject: Re: repairing door panels   repairing door panels Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2015 12:25 pm

Well, I was thinking of using the plastic-weld epoxy stuff, it seems pretty strong. I've used it elsewhere on the car with success but not on anything that'd be under the same stress as the door panel clips.

I haven't tried the plastic welding kit but hey it's Harbor Freight, what could go wrong? Smile
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: repairing door panels   repairing door panels Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2015 3:03 pm

If it is the lower panel, use MEK or MEK substitute. It is like gluing a model together. The lower panel is styrene.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: repairing door panels   repairing door panels Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

repairing door panels
Page 1 of 1