GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Window tint

Go down 
+8
stewzer55
sswagon
bamalongroof
Fred Kiehl
lakeffect
jayoldschool
94GreatWhite
12 posters
AuthorMessage
94GreatWhite

Window tint Empty
PostSubject: Window tint   Window tint Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2015 7:49 pm

Dose anyone know the best way to tint your own windows? I was thinking I would pull the rear windows out and redo the seals while I'm at it. But I don't know were I can get the moldings and seals that I need, can any of you help me out?
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

Window tint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Window tint   Window tint Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2015 8:08 pm

The best way to tint your windows is to call someone that does tint. Tinting properly means a few specialized tools, and the knowledge and experience to use them. Scrapers, LOTS of razor blades, and a heat gun are a must. No trim removal is needed on a wagon.
Back to top Go down

Window tint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Window tint   Window tint Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2015 8:09 pm

You don't need to pull the windows out. Take the door panels off. Clean the glass really REALLY well, apply, put door panels back, done.

A shop wouldn't pull your glass and seals. Why would you?

In my opinion, this is one job that's worth paying a shop to do. They cut your tint so it's done right, they take the time to do it, and you're done. I paid $175 to get my whole wagon tinted and it was money well spent compared to buying tint, messing with getting it perfect, cutting it, and the amount of time just in the back of that hot car.

Noooooo thank you.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

Window tint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Window tint   Window tint Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2015 8:45 pm

$175.00 is a good price for new work that had not been previously tinted.

Last time I checked locally for the top of the line 3M tint, including scraping off all the old crap already there was $300.00 in Rochester NY.
Back to top Go down

Window tint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Window tint   Window tint Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2015 8:57 pm

Pull your own tint off. Get a fabric steamer and some ammonia. Comes right off.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Window tint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Window tint   Window tint Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2015 9:46 pm

If you are intent on resealing your quarter glass, make sure it needs it before doing anything. You also need special tools to remove and install the quarter glass, and it makes tinting look like child's play. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

Window tint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Window tint   Window tint Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2015 10:39 pm

I paid about $225 locally last summer and agree leave it to a pro who guaranties the work. Jeff
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Window tint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Window tint   Window tint Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2015 11:21 pm

I had my windows done in March, just before Wagonfest FL, and it cost me about $250 including additional tint on the vista window. I have a lifetime guarantee on the job for fading and separation.

We do not know where you are located.
Back to top Go down

Window tint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Window tint   Window tint Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2015 1:53 am

Yeah. $225-250 is about right for this many windows.

Expect to pay between $10-20 per window they have to REMOVE tint from.

A $25 fabric steamer from WalMart pays for itself reeeeal quick at that rate, IMO.
Back to top Go down
sswagon

sswagon

Window tint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Window tint   Window tint Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2015 7:33 am

Stingroo, you forgot the cutting it wrong the first time, messing it up, crumpling that piece and throwing it on the garage floor, buying more tint and getting it right the second time part.
Back to top Go down

Window tint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Window tint   Window tint Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2015 8:31 am

Yeah, that too. lmao
Back to top Go down
stewzer55

stewzer55

Window tint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Window tint   Window tint Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2015 11:27 am

I'd like to get mine done too, and for a guarantee, farm it out.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

Window tint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Window tint   Window tint Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2015 8:16 am

It's one of those projects, where in theory, we could all do in our driveways. But the reality more likely is that few of us can do it well or quickly.
Back to top Go down

Window tint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Window tint   Window tint Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2015 8:43 am

lakeffect wrote:
It's one of those projects, where in theory, we could all do in our driveways. But the reality  more likely is that few of us can do it well or quickly.
That's probably true of all MY projects, but with tint, my moderate competence would be too obviously on display for all to see Embarassed
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

Window tint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Window tint   Window tint Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2015 10:07 am

Or in my case, it would be moderate incompetance.
Back to top Go down
frederickflintstone

frederickflintstone

Window tint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Window tint   Window tint Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2015 1:55 pm

Ok this is something so easy I would never pay anyone to do. Unless you have a highly compound curve window tinting is a no brainer. And even box store Gila fill will last much longer than people generally keep vehicles these days.

Having not done one in over 10 years I was looking into the cost of film and I found these precut kits on ebay. To me this is the ultimate in easy, cutting the film right is 98% of the work.

Anyone ever use the precut kits?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-Precut-Back-Rear-Glass-Window-Tint-Kit-Buick-Roadmaster-Wagon-1991-1996-/330799986282?fits=Make%3ABuick%7CModel%3ARoadmaster%7CYear%3A1994&vxp=mtr&hash=item4d0537366a
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

Window tint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Window tint   Window tint Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2015 5:08 pm

The rear gate window is a compound curve.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Window tint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Window tint   Window tint Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2015 8:13 pm

All of the windows are compound curves...there is not one straight line on the whole car that I know of. Even the bottom of the dash on the 91-93 cars has a upward bow to it (typical architectural design to look straight to the human eye).
Back to top Go down
frederickflintstone

frederickflintstone

Window tint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Window tint   Window tint Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2015 7:37 am

yes almost all auto glass except a jeep CJ windshield is a slight compound curve. but IMO none of the windows on a wagon is a HIGHLY compound curve. even the back glass is relatively flat compared so some of the newer smaller wagons.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Window tint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Window tint   Window tint Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2015 7:46 am

You have to heat form the tint to fit the glass curvature on all of the windows, or it will wrinkle at some point. The tint is not flexible/stretchable enough to fit the curves, even the wing windows at the rear.
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

Window tint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Window tint   Window tint Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2015 8:32 am

$200-250 for professional tint is the way to go. It looks great and most of us have a heck of a time getting tint on that looks good!
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

Window tint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Window tint   Window tint Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2015 11:28 am

frederickflintstone wrote:
Ok this is something so easy I would never pay anyone to do. Unless you have a highly compound curve window tinting is a no brainer.

i do things all the time i consider no brainer stuff,.

not tinting my own windows is one of them,... What a Face
Back to top Go down
frederickflintstone

frederickflintstone

Window tint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Window tint   Window tint Icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2015 11:58 am

I bit the bullet and spent $27 on a complete precut kit off ebay. I was hoping to get it done yesterday but I went and saw mad max and then it was rainy all day.

I will post up a pic of a $27 tint job for comparison to the professional jobs. and I an tentatively coming to wagonfest so you can see the flaws in person.
Back to top Go down

Window tint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Window tint   Window tint Icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2015 4:59 pm

frederickflintstone wrote:
I bit the bullet and spent $27 on a complete precut kit off ebay. I was hoping to get it done yesterday but I went and saw mad max and then it was rainy all day.

I will post up a pic of a $27 tint job for comparison to the professional jobs. and I an tentatively coming to wagonfest so you can see the flaws in person.

Everybody here locally that does quality tinting has been doing it for years because it takes a lot of patience and technique.I would rather pay the 200 bucks to help someone else earn a paycheck than try to save a few bucks not to mention the FRUSTRATION!

Best of Luck,hope it turns out perfect.That reminds me,my OCCs tint is almost 10 years old and due for replacement.Going with the legal tint this time,these 60 year old eyes need all the help they can get.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

Window tint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Window tint   Window tint Icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2015 5:18 pm

What,no senior citizen discount? Maybe you could get them redone,while you're eating the early bird special.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Window tint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Window tint   Window tint Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Window tint
Page 1 of 1