GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Pre Paint Prep

Go down 
+5
phantom 309
MalibuSSwagon
Fred Kiehl
Andebe
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Andebe

Andebe

Pre Paint Prep Empty
PostSubject: Pre Paint Prep   Pre Paint Prep Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2015 12:45 pm

Realistically it could be a couple of years before my OCC sees paint. I am planning to wire wheel the frame and other underneath type parts and them coat them all with a rust preventor type product. Recommendations appreciated. The only bad spot on the body is the bottom of the b pillars small rusted holes there. What can/needs to be done there? Anything else you guys would recommend? Thanks in advance...Andy
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Pre Paint Prep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pre Paint Prep   Pre Paint Prep Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2015 6:40 pm

You need to check the B pillar bases carefully to determine just what is going on with them. Spots of rust, when they come through from the inside, can be a lot more invasive than they appear.
Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

Pre Paint Prep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pre Paint Prep   Pre Paint Prep Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2015 7:42 pm

Fluid Film. Should be able to find a shop near you to do the coating, or you can by it yourself on ebay and apply it with an undercoating gun ad an air compressor.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

Pre Paint Prep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pre Paint Prep   Pre Paint Prep Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2015 11:01 pm

Thanks,I will do some research on it,and check it out.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

Pre Paint Prep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pre Paint Prep   Pre Paint Prep Icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2015 3:58 pm

Thats the name I keep hearing the most.
Back to top Go down

Pre Paint Prep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pre Paint Prep   Pre Paint Prep Icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2015 5:52 pm

I'll be watching this thread, as I have some wire wheel work to do myself.

The NE guys swear by Fluid Film.

I had always heard that such products seal the rust in, but oxidation continues under the coating, where you can't see it or fix it. I'd love to be told that is wrong.

I was wondering if products like the Rustoleum Rust Reformer or Rust Converter might be of value, once the rust is sanded and rinsed Question
Back to top Go down

Pre Paint Prep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pre Paint Prep   Pre Paint Prep Icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2015 5:58 pm

Thought I'd mention that my plans are for under the car, if that makes a difference.

And I feel like mentioning the need for goggles and maybe even a mask for such work.

I've had rust in the eye from jury rigging a rusted muffler on the side of the road pirat
It was unpleasant, and my doctor berated me for not having eye protection No
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

Pre Paint Prep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pre Paint Prep   Pre Paint Prep Icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2015 10:41 pm

Andebe wrote:
Realistically it could be a couple of years before my OCC sees paint.

Do you think you will still have the car in two years?
Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

Pre Paint Prep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pre Paint Prep   Pre Paint Prep Icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2015 11:37 pm

atlantadan wrote:
I've used POR15 before on an old Beetle I had. If you just slather it over rust, they say it'll be fine - but I'd never suggest anyone do that. Sand & grind it down as best you can, then use the surface prep stuff, then the POR15. It will outlast the cockroaches after the bombs fall.

POR 15 is something I use often and have had great success with.... Jeff
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

Pre Paint Prep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pre Paint Prep   Pre Paint Prep Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2015 10:49 am

phantom 309 wrote:
Andebe wrote:
Realistically it could be a couple of years before my OCC sees paint.

Do you think you will still have the car in two years?
Thats the plan...
Back to top Go down

Pre Paint Prep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pre Paint Prep   Pre Paint Prep Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2015 10:31 am

So this one has been out there over a week.
POR 15 seems to be the winner.

Surprised Fluid Film didn't even rate a sheep joke (lanolin based).
I think that product serves a different purpose.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

Pre Paint Prep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pre Paint Prep   Pre Paint Prep Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2015 3:32 pm

So a sheep walks into Dave's house with a bottle of fluid film....

Pre Paint Prep B00phtnt_640_360
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

Pre Paint Prep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pre Paint Prep   Pre Paint Prep Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2015 4:05 pm

Lanolin jokes aside...I ordered my POR15 goodies from Amazon today.BTW,mascara on a sheep is kinda hot... What a Face
Back to top Go down
pilgrim

Pre Paint Prep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pre Paint Prep   Pre Paint Prep Icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2015 11:44 pm

SEM Rust Seal would probably work well also. I've used it many times to coat the inner surfaces and pinch weld area of doors and inner quarter panel lower seams. Pour it in, slosh around and drain out the excess. No top coat needed.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

Pre Paint Prep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pre Paint Prep   Pre Paint Prep Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2015 12:09 pm

Still waiting to my rust proofing project...Sigh. I need a clone.
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

Pre Paint Prep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pre Paint Prep   Pre Paint Prep Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2015 9:26 pm

Before committing to PQR I would suggest you log onto the Eastwood website. This is the kind of stuff they specialize in. While they also sell the PQR, they also have two versions of their "Chassis Black" product, one straight epoxy system and one with a high ceramic content.Spend some time with their comparisons especially the ones they do with PQR.

Used the Chassis Black on the locomotive and it worked well. Granted I did the full monty, including doing the whole thing in rust convertor first. After three years you still needed an air chisel to chip it off. Was really satisfied with the results.

Bill
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Pre Paint Prep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pre Paint Prep   Pre Paint Prep Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pre Paint Prep
Page 1 of 1