GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

'92 Caprice wagon wider wheels - questions

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

'92 Caprice wagon wider wheels - questions Empty
PostSubject: '92 Caprice wagon wider wheels - questions   '92 Caprice wagon wider wheels - questions Icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2010 11:05 pm

Okay, so I've decided I know NOTHING about wheel shopping.

As most of you probably know, my wagon has 15x7 wheels. I'm piecing together a shopping list (most of this is conceptual at this point, but I'm pretty serious about it), and I ran across wheel offset and backspacing. I think I understand the concept (for the most part) but I was wondering if anyone knew if there was say, a table to size wheels?

I saw toomanytoyz's wagon has 18x9.5's, but that's too big to me. I was thinking 17x9, 16x9, or even 15x9. I want the wider tires and wheels, and if I can get an inch or two in rim size, that's great too, but big wheels don't really appeal to me, so no bigger than 17's. Plus large tires seem to get expensive, so that's another factor for me. Not to mention ride comfort with less sidewall and such.

So I guess my main questions are: since I know you can fit 9.5 inch wheels, what offset/backspacing would I need to run:

15x8
15x9
16x8
16x9
17x8
17x9

Those are pretty much the only sizes I'm considering. I love the look of the fat rear tires, but I also want to keep all 4 wheels the same width and size so I can rotate tires easier. Thanks for the help! Smile
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: '92 Caprice wagon wider wheels - questions   '92 Caprice wagon wider wheels - questions Icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 8:22 pm

Sorry I took so long in answering, I thought someone else would reply, and noticed that no one else did.

Measure the back spacing of the wheels you have now, and add 1/2 of the difference in width. Stock wheels are 7 1/2", so for a 9 inch wide wheel, add 3/4" to the backspace. The backspacing is measured from the pad, where the wheel sits on the axle flange, to the edge of the lip on the back of the rim.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: '92 Caprice wagon wider wheels - questions   '92 Caprice wagon wider wheels - questions Icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 10:19 pm

you need to call me and come see my 15x8 Cragers with 255s. I think you will like them alot. I also have a set of factory Impy rims you could try on for size to see fitment, etc.

I'm guessing you are home for the summer now....check your PM for my cell #
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: '92 Caprice wagon wider wheels - questions   '92 Caprice wagon wider wheels - questions Icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 10:41 pm

I've got my 255 60s on 7 1/2s and they look really good. I am running 205 70s on the front. They are less than .1 of an inch of each other in diameter.

I have a set of 10 inch wide rims, but the make the tire have 1/4 inch interference. I was told that they would fit. Someone lied to me, or had them on a sedan. Maybe if I rolled the fenders with a baseball bat, I could get them under the rear.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: '92 Caprice wagon wider wheels - questions   '92 Caprice wagon wider wheels - questions Icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 11:08 pm

Yeah, I've been home for summer since late April. Smile

Got your PM. When I get everything all set up I'll give you a ring. Should be a fun trip.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: '92 Caprice wagon wider wheels - questions   '92 Caprice wagon wider wheels - questions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'92 Caprice wagon wider wheels - questions
Page 1 of 1