GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

1996 Caprice tow pack car with or without limited slip diff?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
dmg4
dmg4

1996 Caprice tow pack car with or without limited slip diff? Empty
PostSubject: 1996 Caprice tow pack car with or without limited slip diff?   1996 Caprice tow pack car with or without limited slip diff? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2015 1:42 pm

My new 1996 Caprice wagon has the sticker on the inside of the starboard tailgate jamb indicating it's equipped with the optional heavy duty tow package. There's a mechanical fan under the hood. I assume this means the differential ratio is 3.23:1. Is there any obvious way to tell if the differential is limited slip? I gleaned from earlier posts on this subject in the Forum that many but not all tow pack cars included limited slip differentials.

I note that on line 3 of the service parts identification sticker, there is a code G80, which I believe is the code for the limited slip differential.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: 1996 Caprice tow pack car with or without limited slip diff?   1996 Caprice tow pack car with or without limited slip diff? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2015 2:21 pm

2.93 rear end

Tom
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: 1996 Caprice tow pack car with or without limited slip diff?   1996 Caprice tow pack car with or without limited slip diff? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2015 3:09 pm

Tom's correct. And, yes, G80 is limited slip (and it was optional, not standard, even on tow pack).
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: 1996 Caprice tow pack car with or without limited slip diff?   1996 Caprice tow pack car with or without limited slip diff? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2015 3:13 pm

Win win! It's a towpack car with limited slip, and no hitch setup. So, it has all the bells and whistles, but never had to drag a trailer over the Rockies.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1996 Caprice tow pack car with or without limited slip diff?   1996 Caprice tow pack car with or without limited slip diff? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

1996 Caprice tow pack car with or without limited slip diff?
Page 1 of 1