GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Long Time Listener First Time Caller!

Go down 
+5
phantom 309
Wagoninabox
Sprocket
silverfox103
washigntonwagonguy
9 posters
AuthorMessage
washigntonwagonguy

Long Time Listener First Time Caller! Empty
PostSubject: Long Time Listener First Time Caller!   Long Time Listener First Time Caller! Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2015 12:01 am

Hey everyone,

My name is Syd and I just picked up a 94 caprice wagon last week! I'm trying to keep it on the right path, so I'll be posting and asking a ton of questions for stuff I can't find.

The car has about 92k on it, and it's driftwood with the towing package and the wood appliqué. It's a big contrast to my other car but it's COMFORTABLE...I have room for the everyone I know in this car and it felt like an old friend right away.

I purchased a brochure off of eBay for posterity and will be trying to add as many OEM plus type features to the car as I can in time. I couldn't find answers to these questions so I'm home ping someone can help.

1- how do I take care of the wood? Is it as simple as washing it the same way I wash the rest of the car?

2 - did caprice wagons ever get the lattice type alloy wheels? Mine has wire wheel covers but I've considered adding the factory alloys for a little flair.

3 - I keep trying to find out if I have load leveling. I have the tow package but it sounds like that isn't a sure thing. Is there a warning light on the dash or some other indicator?

In the future I want to add a 3.42 or 3.73 posi and maybe a cam and heads...I want to keep it the car sleepy looking though- Nothing but a smile and maybe a lumpy idle to give outsiders a clue. I've already changed the brake fluid and the trans fluid and hope to get as much out of the original drive train as I can before I swap in something like an LS or re-up with another LT.

I'm really excited to be here and I look forward to getting to know you guys.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
washigntonwagonguy

PostSubject: Re: Long Time Listener First Time Caller!   Long Time Listener First Time Caller! Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2015 12:03 am

PS - I'm in the Dallas, Texas area.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Long Time Listener First Time Caller!   Long Time Listener First Time Caller! Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2015 7:32 am

Welcome Syd, sounds like you got yourself a nice wagon. I have one very similar, but not a tow pack.

Your questions:

1. I've had these wagons for close to 20 years, I never do anymore than wash.

2. I've never seen the wagon with lattice wheels, only wire wheels. Doesn't mean it wasn't an option.

3. Easiest way to tell if you have load leveling is to look at the rear shocks. If they are air shocks you have load leveling (unless someone changed them). Also there is a compressor mounted on the frame by the driver;s wheel. If you have it and it is working, you should be able to hear it cycle on and off.

Tom
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Long Time Listener First Time Caller!   Long Time Listener First Time Caller! Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2015 9:25 am

I'm sure the lattice alloys were factory avail nd do look better than the wires. If you plan to bump up the HP, I'd suggest the impala Ss 17" rims. I run them and they alone make a big difference in cornering as the sidewall height is about half. Yes, you give up some comfort as you rim a higher psi, but hardly noticeable.

Center caps from other chevies poo right. In so mine have bowtie centers vs the leaping deer. I also run 235 vs the hard to find 255 that was stick on the imp.

Oh and welcome aboard
Back to top Go down
washigntonwagonguy

PostSubject: Re: Long Time Listener First Time Caller!   Long Time Listener First Time Caller! Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2015 10:05 am

Ithanks Sprocket! Is the center cap size on all wheels about the same? I also like the Fleetwood wheels. I want to keep it meek looking if I can...
Back to top Go down
washigntonwagonguy

PostSubject: Re: Long Time Listener First Time Caller!   Long Time Listener First Time Caller! Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2015 11:30 am

Thanks for all of the pointers Tom. I will check all of this out tonight when I get home!

I wonder if caprices are never seen with alloy wheels because they are the "value" line? I live where there are a TON of potholes...maybe I should keep the steel wheels to avoid getting bending one...?
Back to top Go down
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

PostSubject: Re: Long Time Listener First Time Caller!   Long Time Listener First Time Caller! Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2015 1:34 pm

Welcome! Where are u located?
Back to top Go down
washigntonwagonguy

PostSubject: Re: Long Time Listener First Time Caller!   Long Time Listener First Time Caller! Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2015 2:46 pm

Hey Wagoninabox I'm in a town called Denton just north of Dallas.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Long Time Listener First Time Caller!   Long Time Listener First Time Caller! Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2015 8:40 pm

washigntonwagonguy wrote:

and hope to get as much out of the original drive train as I can before I swap in something like an LS or re-up with another LT1
Cheers

you'll have a lot of driving ahead of you,. it takes a lot to wear an lt1 out,.
Back to top Go down
PRpanda

PostSubject: Re: Long Time Listener First Time Caller!   Long Time Listener First Time Caller! Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2015 9:36 pm

Welcome to the show!!! :-) :-)
Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

PostSubject: Re: Long Time Listener First Time Caller!   Long Time Listener First Time Caller! Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2015 9:54 pm

Hey I lived in Denton for a summer. Welcome to the forum....Jeff
Back to top Go down
washigntonwagonguy

PostSubject: Re: Long Time Listener First Time Caller!   Long Time Listener First Time Caller! Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2015 10:10 pm

Glad to be hear and glad to hear these are long lasting drivetrains. For some reason I'd gotten the impression they weren't so tough?
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Long Time Listener First Time Caller!   Long Time Listener First Time Caller! Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2015 7:24 am

Welcome to Longroof!

As to your question:
2 - did caprice wagons ever get the lattice type alloy wheels? Mine has wire wheel covers but I've considered adding the factory alloys for a little flair.

Are you referring to the alloys that were on the Chevy sedans? If so, no, that was a sedan only option. However, if you come across a set, they work very nicely on the wagons, I actually ran a set on my first Roadmaster wagon.
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Long Time Listener First Time Caller!   Long Time Listener First Time Caller! Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2015 9:37 am

washigntonwagonguy wrote:
Ithanks Sprocket!  Is the center cap size on all wheels about the same? I also like the Fleetwood wheels. I want to keep it meek looking if I can...

Kind of, not really... There are center caps from some wheels that interchange and others that won't.

For example, a Buick alloy center cap won't fit a caddy, or the lace wheel you like, but a 96 Camaro with the salad shooter rims, the caps match perfectly with the Impala rims. You just have to try them I guess.

After you see the different caps, you will recognize the way they mount and then you can hunt them up in the JY cheers
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Long Time Listener First Time Caller!   Long Time Listener First Time Caller! Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2015 11:07 am

"Long time listener,first time caller" Hmmmp,I never made the connection... Welcome to the forum. What a Face
Back to top Go down
washigntonwagonguy

PostSubject: Re: Long Time Listener First Time Caller!   Long Time Listener First Time Caller! Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2015 12:57 pm

Thanks for all of the advice! I will get some pictures up here soon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Long Time Listener First Time Caller!   Long Time Listener First Time Caller! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Long Time Listener First Time Caller!
Page 1 of 1