GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rear seatback R&R HELP!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
dmg4
dmg4

Rear seatback R&R HELP! Empty
PostSubject: Rear seatback R&R HELP!   Rear seatback R&R HELP! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2015 4:22 pm

I need to find a replacement rear seatback for my 1996 Caprice wagon.  Are all of the 1991-1996 Caprice backs interchangable?  How about those from Roadmaster wagons?  The cover of the seatback is easy to remove and swap.  But which ones will fit the existing latching mechanism in a 1996?

I have access to a number of hulks at a local scrapyard.  Is there any trick to removing a seatback without damage?  Of course, mine pops right out very easily, but that's because the area of the seatback around the pivot pin on the passenger side is trashed. What's the proper way if the mechanism is intact?
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: Rear seatback R&R HELP!   Rear seatback R&R HELP! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2015 4:36 pm

DERP!  I found this in a post on this very forum from 2009:

"Pull the carpet pieces apart where the velcro attaches the cargo piece to the seatback (roll the piece onto itself for ease). On the passenger side hinge, you have to slide a flat nose screw driver onto the hinge rod, and slide it into the seat body. It's spring loaded, and keeps the seat hinge rods in their place. Surprisingly simple..."

Of course, I still would like to know which seatbacks I could swap, assuming I can get the cover to fit.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Rear seatback R&R HELP!   Rear seatback R&R HELP! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2015 4:52 pm

94-96 only. The mounting system for the 91-93 cars is completely different. Roadmaster and Caprice interchange.
Back to top Go down
KCClark

PostSubject: Re: Rear seatback R&R HELP!   Rear seatback R&R HELP! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2015 10:44 pm

The post that sticks into the locking mechanism is the weak point. Make sure any seat back you are considering has a solid post.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear seatback R&R HELP!   Rear seatback R&R HELP! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rear seatback R&R HELP!
Page 1 of 1