GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Should I replace my fuel pump now?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
andy caprice

Should I replace my fuel pump now? Empty
PostSubject: Should I replace my fuel pump now?   Should I replace my fuel pump now? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2016 3:39 pm

Hi!
The winter finally came and it was really cold a couple of days ago (about -30C / -22F). I hadn't driven my Caprice for a while but decided to put the block heater on and try to drive it to work. But the battery was way too empty for that. The starter didn't spin, it just gave rapid clicking. Even jump starting didn't help. But I'm sure that at least at some point there was fuel pump priming and gas smell after trying to start.

I got the battery inside and charged it. Later I tried again and the starter was spinning like crazy, but the engine did not start. The fuel pump wasn't working. It was late and cold and I had a flu, so I let it be.

The next day I found out that there's a test connector for the pump. I went to jump it and the pump run! But it sounded kind of hollow or lazy and like it was accelerating. The engine started normally. But this time it was a lot warmer (about -10C / +14f). After letting the engine run for a while, the pump priming sounded normal.

Today the temperature was something in between those earlier days at about -20c / -4f . The car started well, but I Think the pump was turning just a little bit slowlier while priming than normally. Not sure though, I haven't noticed before if it's always like that when it's cold.

What do you think? Is my fuel pump starting to fail, did I break it while trying to start with an empty battery? Or could it have been something else that prevented the pump from getting power (ecm, pump fuse, etc. It's a shame I didn't know about the test connector then), and could the starting with the pump not running cause the odd sound the other day when it was running?
Back to top Go down
andy caprice

PostSubject: Re: Should I replace my fuel pump now?   Should I replace my fuel pump now? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2016 7:30 am

Today it's about -25C (-13F). I turned the ignotion on without starting. The fuel pump primed as it should. It sounded kike it was accelerating a little towards the end of the priming. Can someone verify if this is normal in a very cold weather?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Should I replace my fuel pump now?   Should I replace my fuel pump now? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2016 8:59 am

If you do not drive it frequently, you could be getting a little water in the tank. If it is "slushy", it would make the pump act up. It is a difficult diagnosis. If it runs normally otherwise, I would not be too concerned with the pump. It is possible that the pump is starting to fail, but it is difficult to determine. The fact that it does run normally when it is a little warmer makes me think the pump is OK. If you are into torturing yourself, change the pump. You do not say what year your car is.
Back to top Go down
andy caprice

PostSubject: Re: Should I replace my fuel pump now?   Should I replace my fuel pump now? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2016 9:53 am

Oh, sorry.. forgot to mention it's 1995.

Edit: Made a signature now too...
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Should I replace my fuel pump now?   Should I replace my fuel pump now? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2016 8:07 am

A fuel pump/sending unit combo is a part that is known to fail without warning. This is usually not a deal breaker here, but you are in Finland, where I ASSume that parts are few and far between. Get a NEW replacement for nothing more than insurance.

You don't have to install it, but it won't hurt as much when the original fails.
Back to top Go down
andy caprice

PostSubject: Re: Should I replace my fuel pump now?   Should I replace my fuel pump now? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2016 11:34 am

Yeah, I just ordered a new unit. I'll just see what happens for a while now...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should I replace my fuel pump now?   Should I replace my fuel pump now? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Should I replace my fuel pump now?
Page 1 of 1