GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Towing Advice

Go down 
+2
MalibuSSwagon
udownwitk
6 posters
AuthorMessage
udownwitk

udownwitk

Towing Advice Empty
PostSubject: Towing Advice   Towing Advice Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2016 11:23 pm

Hello guys, i just bought a class III hitch for my new '94 caprice wagon... 95% of the time, i plan to haul a small utility trailer with 1-3 four-wheelers on it at any given time. I figure this is well within range for easy towing... my question is, what kind of upgrades or towing techniques should i do or follow if i were to haul something like my 4000 lb impala?

My wagon mods include:

3.73 gears (brand new)
Eaton true-trac (brand new)
gen 1 tri-y headers
Meziere Electric water pump
Dual Electric cooling fan conversion (gary's wire harness as well)
Monroe Severe Service shocks
Vogtland springs

I have read about some airlift springs but recall reading somewhere that a spefici model is needed when running Vogtland springs... any info/advice would be appreciated...
Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

Towing Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Towing Advice   Towing Advice Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2016 9:03 am

The previous owner of my 9C1 used airlift bags when towing, I believe it was the standard model for our cars and the car is sitting on Sprint springs in the rear. Other than that you seem to be well equipped for towing. Just keep the transmission in drive and you should be ok.
Back to top Go down
carguyray

Towing Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Towing Advice   Towing Advice Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2016 11:08 pm

Question on this one. You said leave in Drive. I know in Fords they have an OD shut off, but I didn't see anything (even in the owners manl.) about not using OD. I'm glad I saw this and want to know what others think/do.

What do you guys that tow get for mileage? I've got a 94 REW with the tow package and I'll be towing about 3800-4100ish pounds (car on a tow dolly and a load too)

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

Towing Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Towing Advice   Towing Advice Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 8:45 am

They suck fuel when towing. Depends on air drag, but expect 12mpg probably with 3.73's especially.

When I had my PCM tuned, they told me specifically to let it in OD and let the tranny do its job. He assured me that putting it in drive will smoke the trans early…..I'm not sure why and he didn't want to tell me.
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

Towing Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Towing Advice   Towing Advice Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 9:14 am

Deadmanonduty wrote:
They suck fuel when towing.  Depends on air drag, but expect 12mpg probably with 3.73's especially.  

When I had my PCM tuned, they told me specifically to let it in OD and let the tranny do its job.  He assured me that putting it in drive will smoke the trans early…..I'm not sure why and he didn't want to tell me.  

True BS. For some reason, there is an urban myth about the torque convertor not locking up in 3rd. Not true. Yes if the TC is not locked up, you're going to cook the tranny but ECM programming will lock it up as long as you have the selector in 3rd. Even the owners manual tells you to tow in 3rd. GM would not have stated that if it would cook the tranny. The liability claims would be enormous.

Bill
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

Towing Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Towing Advice   Towing Advice Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 10:18 am

Deadmanonduty wrote:
T
When I had my PCM tuned, they told me specifically to let it in OD and let the tranny do its job.  He assured me that putting it in drive will smoke the trans early…..I'm not sure why and he didn't want to tell me.  

As bill mentioned gm transmissions lock up in 3rd,.with stock programming.

With 2:56 gears, in slightly hilly terrain, most times i would run the car in in 3rd,(almost the same final ratio as 3:73's and o/d)
Gm's programming was setup to improve cafe ratings, not to improve driveability at all,.

We have a couple of buick regals with the 3.8's and they are much happier pulling up a steep grade in 3rd with the rpm in a better spot for their displacement, and the gas pedal doesn't need to be down as far as when trying to climb in 4th, and the converter unlocking to give you the rpm to pull the over drive,.

Perhaps your programmer has disabled the 3rd gear lockup?

The black wagon has a switch that i can manually lock the converter even in 2nd,. great for playing at the track,.helps with decelaration etc,.

I also have a manual lockup on my old 6.5 diesel 4x4 pickup, it is very nice to have , 4l80e's have an annoying habit of 'freewheeling when coasting to a stop once you have touched the brake pedal and unlocked the converter,. pretty darn aggravating when running down a steep hill with more weight on than recommended Wink

yrmv
nweoi
uaor
pdcc
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Towing Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Towing Advice   Towing Advice Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Towing Advice
Page 1 of 1