GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Biggest GM station wagon?

Go down 
+3
Lynol
jayoldschool
Steve Smith
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Steve Smith

Biggest GM station wagon? Empty
PostSubject: Biggest GM station wagon?   Biggest GM station wagon? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2016 5:40 pm

As big as our B body wagons are (1991-1996) I was wondering how they compare to other full size GM wagons. Basically longest, heaviest, and even widest. 'Clam shell' longest? Something from the '50s takes top honors?
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Biggest GM station wagon?   Biggest GM station wagon? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2016 10:31 pm

Without googling, I'll guess the coach built Fleetwood 71-76 wagons are the biggest.
Back to top Go down
Steve Smith

PostSubject: Re: Biggest GM station wagon?   Biggest GM station wagon? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2016 8:54 am

I didn't think about the Caddy versions. I probably should have stated in my thread mass produced production line models, not specialty built ones.
The official sale brochure lists the 1994 Roadmaster wagon as 18'1/2" long. Curb weight is 4,572 lbs.
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: Biggest GM station wagon?   Biggest GM station wagon? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2016 2:24 pm

From what I have been reading, the '71 to '76 clam-shell B-body wagons were the longest. And at 5,000lbs, I would suspect the heaviest. Now if you really want to split hairs, at 231.8" the '75 & '76 Buick Estates were the longest of those, by less than an inch difference over the others of those years.
Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

PostSubject: Re: Biggest GM station wagon?   Biggest GM station wagon? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2016 4:43 pm

I'd say that the 8 door wagons built by Stageway for the Milton Hershey school in PA take the cake.

Biggest GM station wagon? Hersheyschoolstretchwagon_11_1200

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2015/03/19/stretched-chevrolet-station-wagon-from-the-milton-hershey-school-joins-the-aaca-museum-collection/
Back to top Go down
Steve Smith

PostSubject: Re: Biggest GM station wagon?   Biggest GM station wagon? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2016 5:44 pm

MalibuSSwagon wrote:
I'd say that the 8 door wagons built by Stageway for the Milton Hershey school in PA take the cake.

Biggest GM station wagon? Hersheyschoolstretchwagon_11_1200

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2015/03/19/stretched-chevrolet-station-wagon-from-the-milton-hershey-school-joins-the-aaca-museum-collection/
So that's where that gutted EXTENDED '62 Chevy wagon originated from as seen in the museum during Hershey Wagonfest.
Back to top Go down
Steve Smith

PostSubject: Re: Biggest GM station wagon?   Biggest GM station wagon? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2016 5:51 pm

Lynol wrote:
From what I have been reading, the '71 to '76 clam-shell B-body wagons were the longest. And at 5,000lbs, I would suspect the heaviest. Now if you really want to split hairs, at 231.8" the '75 & '76 Buick Estates were the longest of those, by less than an inch difference over the others of those years.

The '94 brochure's actual printed length for the Roadmaster wagon is 217.5 inches. Wheelbase is (only) 115.9 in.
My Dad had a 1971 Impala sedan with (I believe) a 121 inch wheelbase.
Those 'clam shell' wagons were big'uns huh?!
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Biggest GM station wagon?   Biggest GM station wagon? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2016 7:28 pm

The front seat legroom is amazing in my 71 Pontiac. I'm 6'7", and I can stretch my left leg out straight when driving it. They are big cars! When we bought our first house, I had to take out the garage stairs to fit my 65 Impala in the garage. The 71 would not fit.

Biggest GM station wagon? 24-05-06_1823
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Biggest GM station wagon?   Biggest GM station wagon? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2016 9:15 pm

Jayson

Show the guys the picture of your garage now.

Tom
Back to top Go down
Dutch Pete

Dutch Pete

PostSubject: Re: Biggest GM station wagon?   Biggest GM station wagon? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 1:28 pm

I agree with the 71-76 wagons being the biggest. (and slowest IIR) Friend of mine owns a clamshell with the electric disappearing lower gate under the floor
Back to top Go down
AzDon

AzDon

PostSubject: Re: Biggest GM station wagon?   Biggest GM station wagon? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2016 10:51 pm

i doubt any of those are bigger than a Suburban.....
Back to top Go down
http://v-driveboat.com
Steve Smith

PostSubject: Re: Biggest GM station wagon?   Biggest GM station wagon? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2016 11:42 pm

AzDon wrote:
i doubt any of those are bigger than a Suburban.....

Oh I don't know, to me a Suburban is a truck with a long roof. A station wagon is a car with a long roof.
Back to top Go down
AzDon

AzDon

PostSubject: Re: Biggest GM station wagon?   Biggest GM station wagon? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2016 12:31 am

I've got a 68 Burb and (currently) two OCC's.......The OCC is a lower-profile vehicle, yet occupies almost exactly the same amount of space.....feels bigger than the burb....
Back to top Go down
http://v-driveboat.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Biggest GM station wagon?   Biggest GM station wagon? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Biggest GM station wagon?
Page 1 of 1