GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

cooling fans on 1994 LT1 wagon

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
annapolis

cooling fans on 1994 LT1 wagon Empty
PostSubject: cooling fans on 1994 LT1 wagon   cooling fans on 1994 LT1 wagon Icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2016 7:35 pm

Has anyone made a modification to the cooling fans, like to the wires that control the fans, thinking of or wanting to install a manual switch to turn at least one, maybe both even if two switches to turn the fan /fans on when I want them to be on. Like in traffic. I know people modify the PCM's to do this at lower temps I would like to avoid the price of that way of doing it and can not have the down time on the car waiting for mods to be done and PCM returned. I very much dislike watching the gauge head to the moon before the fans come on. Why did GM set the turn on temps so darn high is a question I wonder if their is family friendly all ages answer to that one.
Any one out there done this on our set ups. My brother did it to his 1991 Corvette by jumping into the wire that controls the coil on the fan relay, jumped in their and ran a switch to ground, actually two switch one for each fan.
Wire diagram indicated the ECM in his case only provided a ground to the fan relay, never had a problem, if I do that I am very afraid I would fry a PCM. Any feedback would be wonderful.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: cooling fans on 1994 LT1 wagon   cooling fans on 1994 LT1 wagon Icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2016 7:42 pm

My 2 cents, have the PCM reprogrammed if you want to drop the temperatures. If you start putting switches and cutting into the wires, you're opening up a can of worms, and you could be risking a failure of the fans.

Tom
Back to top Go down
annapolis

PostSubject: Re: cooling fans on 1994 LT1 wagon   cooling fans on 1994 LT1 wagon Icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2016 7:56 pm

Thank you for the reply, I was wanting to use the system that is there, just trip the relay that turns the fan on now. Price of program change and loss of use of the car waiting for unit to come , is why I was wanting to do it as stated is why it is my daily driver even though I am retired I need my car.
I am sure you are correct, with the can of worms statement
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: cooling fans on 1994 LT1 wagon   cooling fans on 1994 LT1 wagon Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2016 1:15 pm

Don't. You can easily forget to turn the fan on and cook the engine.

If you pay a few dollars extra the PCM tuners will send you a new pcm that is pre-programmed and then you send yours back as their core. They just swap PCM's really. Its worth not having the down time.
Back to top Go down
6spdwagn

PostSubject: Re: cooling fans on 1994 LT1 wagon   cooling fans on 1994 LT1 wagon Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2016 3:22 pm

Innovative wiring makes a harness that give you a switch to manually turn on one or both fans, but doesn't stop them from turning on automatically.

I put it in when I had some fan issues, the fans work like stock but can be turn on manually.

I think it's the remote fan harness on the site. http://innovativewiring.com/?page_id=266

It's not cheap but it seems like a better option than cutting into the harness.
Back to top Go down
annapolis

PostSubject: perfect THANK YOU will have to get that thank you X 10   cooling fans on 1994 LT1 wagon Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2016 8:53 pm

6spdwagn wrote:
Innovative wiring makes a harness that give you a switch to manually turn on one or both fans, but doesn't stop them from turning on automatically.

I put it in when I had some fan issues, the fans work like stock but can be turn on manually.

I think it's the remote fan harness on the site. http://innovativewiring.com/?page_id=266

It's not cheap but it seems like a better option than cutting into the harness.
Back to top Go down
annapolis

PostSubject: Re: cooling fans on 1994 LT1 wagon   cooling fans on 1994 LT1 wagon Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2016 8:54 pm

complete perfect just exact what I want THANK YOU
Back to top Go down
6spdwagn

PostSubject: Re: cooling fans on 1994 LT1 wagon   cooling fans on 1994 LT1 wagon Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2016 1:47 pm

Happy to help. It's not too difficult to put in and it's well made.  Make sure you put the switch in a spot not easily bumped into and you remember to turn it off.  It will run when the car is off and drain your battery.

I tried to reply back to your PM but I haven't posted enough to do that yet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: cooling fans on 1994 LT1 wagon   cooling fans on 1994 LT1 wagon Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

cooling fans on 1994 LT1 wagon
Page 1 of 1